The Best Soil PH Meter / Moisture Meter?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to add several IN SOIL PH/Moisture meters to my growing tool box and wanted to get some opinions on which brand and model people find the most accurate and at the same time providing the most bang for the buck.

I currently own a Hydrofarm MGMP1 Active Air 2-Way pH & Moisture Meter that I have used for monitoring our Violets in a corner of our living room.

While this seems like a decent meter for the price, before I just bought another half dozen of these, I wanted to get some feedback from the 420 growers out there about what brand and model of soil PH meter they like best.

Thanks in advance for any input on this specific type of PH meter. I want something that can be left in the pot for the entire grow from start to finish. The Hydrofarm can do this without a problem, so I would want any other brand I might consider to do the same.

Thanks in advance everyone! :thumb: :thanks:

Personally, I feel that those things at best can only test the pH/moisture of the area at the probe.

While it is not the same as "insert it and leave it," would it not be more accurate to use a good digital pH meter to either test the runoff or to take soil samples from around the pot and do a water-mix test?

As for checking moisture levels, a finger stick (or another stick for, err... sticking if the pot is a deep one) or lifting the pots to check their weight works pretty good.

I cannot make specific meter recommendations because I only tried them years (and years, lol) ago and did not have much luck. But they were "cheapie" meters. I do hope that if you find one that you consider to be a "best one," that you'll return to this thread and let everyone know.

BtW, how do you like the one that you are using? I assume from your post that you like it ok, but do you feel that it is substantially better in the "moisture" department than hefting the pot or checking the soil with a finger or sticking tool? And does the pH function seem to be as accurate as using a digital meter with one of the methods I mentioned above?

Thanks for the input TS! :thumb:

I actually have two HM DIGITAL DM-200 meters, but in my flower room it is next to impossible to measure runoff. I'm disabled with bad knees, and can't kneel down to get to the bottom of the pots in the bathtub to check. Not to mention all the sidefills in the way and the 4 ft single tube fixture Velcroed to the tub's rim! :laughtwo:

This is why I need an alternative for large plants in there. The HydroFarm "in soil" meter I have is pretty accurate in a glass of water with a DM-200 right next to it. A couple of 10ths off but close enough to be useable. I see a bunch of these devices on the web, and was just curious if the HF I have was the best, or if there was another brand or model 420 folks liked better.

Still interested in hearing from anyone using an in soil meter in their grows. Thanks again for replying. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest, so perhaps everyone just pHs the runoff? Normally I would if I could get to the runoff of these particular pots. ;)

Cheers

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

My suggestion to you is get a cheap stick meter. Use it like a go or no-go gauge. You have the ability to be as accurate as need be. Just make note of the point of reference on the cheapo and use it for easy mobile readings. If you need to have a closer look you have that covered as well.

I also suggest you re-verify it in a controlled sample to establish and maintain it's credibility.

And always care for your tools, keep them clean and take multiple test samples if any doubt.

I cannot make specific meter recommendations because I only tried them years (and years, lol) ago and did not have much luck. But they were "cheapie" meters. I do hope that if you find one that you consider to be a "best one," that you'll return to this thread and let everyone know.

As far as the cheapy meters, the reason for most not working to best of standards is because they are affected by salinity in the soil. For example, take one and insert it into some dry soil. Ordinarily the needle on the meter would point to dry. BUT, if you add salinity/fertilizer, this will cause inaccurate readings and the needle will actually move towards wet, despite not adding any water whatsoever. I use this soil moisture meter. The reason I got it was because it is not affected by salinity whatsoever (thus eliminating the problem stated above) The other benefit is that although it is a little more expensive than the cheap versions, it is money well spent, as I have been using it for 3 years now...

Back
Top Bottom