The Big Freeze

lildj90

I never really have to deal with col temperatures but the other night my just recently put outside babies were exposed to 43 degrees for a few hour before it went back up to 80. I haven't been able to go back yet bc I had to leave state for a couple days. Could they die from a few hours of mid 40 degree temps?

really only a worry if you get frost then it could damage them but im not sure how cold 43 deg is we use Celsius here,,, so if 100 deg = about 40 cel ,,so 43 deg that is getting pretty cold i just looked it up its about 6 celsius ....what i would do if i lived in a place that was cold coming into summer would be maybe build a little frame over each plant and cover it with plastic cling wrap so its like a hot house during the night this could help them survive the cold but you would have to go back and forth a bit covering them uncovering them during the day .

The 40's do them no favors. It could stunt growth a day or two while they figure out whats up. Overall for a outdoor grow you should be fine since you can't harvest until fall anyhow and time is on your side. Despite what others say the cold can weaken any plant in a growth period and make it susceptible to numerous issues.

The cold when flowering can change a plant in color to purple/blue and is a method some employ when harvesting but I would not want fluctuations in temperature of 40 degree's from day to night until the fall. :goodluck:

Thanks guys I fixed the problem by building a greenhouse....but I can't figure out a way to cheaply camo the top of the house and still let uv light in. I was thinking about using burlap

Grow some tomatoes! :laugh: They'll grow tall pretty fast and aren't super leafy, so a couple of them can help block the view of your plants without hogging all the light.
As for the original question, I've had a month of cold, rainy weather since transplanting with night temps ranging between 4°C - 10°C (39°F - 50°F) inside the greenhouse (average 2°C warmer than outside). I've accidentally left them out a couple of times too, but they're as happy as they could ever be!

Back
Top Bottom