The cabinet I am about to use, check it out! Opinions?

Robb

I have this old cabinet, I pulled the center shelf out of it and it is pretty big inside, def will work for the Lowryders I plan on starting up soon, this is my first attempt at growing so please any opinions or comments WELCOMED!

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

I just purchased a lock for the doors, and a temp/humidity gauge. so that's done. The back wall is nice, not to thick, not to thin, perfect for cutting some fans into.

Now my questions:

1. What light do you think is best for this cabinet (Lowryder strain)? And how many, and where?

2. I need an intake and an exhaust fan, I will put one on the top right (exhaust) and lower left (intake) Where can I find these fans? I need them to plug into a wall outlet, I have a surge protector mounted to the side, so if possible some AC fans would be PERFECT.

3. What should I do with the walls? Paint the entire inside white? Or line it with tin foil?

4. I have seen alot of people cut holes into the bottom of their cabinets, do I need one and what are they for?

Anything else I am forgetting? Or any concerns? I think it will be perfect for a few lowryders, and am very anxious to get started! Thanks for any help!

Robb said:
I have this old cabinet, I pulled the center shelf out of it and it is pretty big inside, def will work for the Lowryders I plan on starting up soon, this is my first attempt at growing so please any opinions or comments WELCOMED!

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

I just purchased a lock for the doors, and a temp/humidity gauge. so that's done. The back wall is nice, not to thick, not to thin, perfect for cutting some fans into.

Now my questions:

1. What light do you think is best for this cabinet (Lowryder strain)? And how many, and where?

2. I need an intake and an exhaust fan, I will put one on the top right (exhaust) and lower left (intake) Where can I find these fans? I need them to plug into a wall outlet, I have a surge protector mounted to the side, so if possible some AC fans would be PERFECT.

3. What should I do with the walls? Paint the entire inside white? Or line it with tin foil?

4. I have seen alot of people cut holes into the bottom of their cabinets, do I need one and what are they for?

Anything else I am forgetting? Or any concerns? I think it will be perfect for a few lowryders, and am very anxious to get started! Thanks for any help!

nice cabinet..

1. lights your choice
2. i suggest you have 3 fans... intake, exhaust, and one that blows air on your plants to circulate the air inside, plus it helps promote thick strong stems
3. you can paint them white... or line them with mylar
4. i duno how to answer this question

how tall is the cabinet? cuz u gotta consider the space for the pots and the lights...

It would make a great little veg/clone/mom cabinet. Or a small micro grow scrog.

250 watts HPS would be plenty.

Paint it white...more efficient and more permanent.

One exhaust fan up high in the back with a simple intake port in the floor(#4) would be enough, with a small circ fan inside.

Thanks for the replies!

I will be doing the lowryder strain, so it should be plenty of room :)

I'm scared with the lighting, dont HPS lights throw red flags with the electric company and stuff?

Or is a 250 watt small enough to where it wont matter?

Thanks again!

I'm scared with the lighting, dont HPS lights throw red flags with the electric company and stuff?

I've heard the electric companies (in some places) work close with the law enforcement agencies... But I dont know about your location.

Just curious... Would an old refridgerator work as a grow "cabinent"?

longisquama.... nice setup.... i see you're using CD cases...i use old VCR tapes for height adjustment... i might as well put them to good use .. lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

longisquama said:
I've seen fridge grows on overgrow. Anyway power consumption, what's about home office workers (servers...), ppl with small children (dishwasher and washing machine running perpetual, lol), pets (fish, reptiles, ect...)
A high power consumption doesn't mean necessarily you're growing imho.

true, but we are talking about constant power for MONTHS at a time, I mean youre right about servers and I'm sure there are lots of things, but no dishwasher or washer machine or usual house hold appliance drawing that much power is on for as long as a high powered light over months.

I mean i guess po po would need a reason to check the electric company and then check your household, so if there is no reason, they wont be checking? I'm not sure about it at all really, any alternatives besides HPS lighting?

DanknBeyond said:
Height would be a concern for me, with that setup, but It could work. Might be hard for a first timer. I wouldn't go any bigger then 250. As others mentioned Intake and exhaust a must, a fan to blow air around inside is a plus. I WOULD NOT USE FOIL. its a big bad myth, its no good. Titanium White is great for refection, and offers the best long term qualities.
I assume your doing a soil grow?

Also, most home growers for PERSONAL growing HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. space heaters normally use 1500 watts, Computers now a days take upto 1k power supplies. I hear a nice rule of thumb is 1k watt PER bedroom in the house so a 2 bedroom house could run 2 1k lights with out any problems.

Also, WHO CARES if they tip the law about your power usage, there is no law about how much power you can use in a month. you WILL get busted if you sell, grow more then for yourself, or have a big mouth. Get the point?! Cops need a controlled buy, a strong smell, or an informant to get a search warrant.

Here here :allgood:

how about a T5 light. it would run the length of your cabnet and it uses flouros. heat wouldnt really a factor and electric consumption would be un-noticeable for the paraniod. you could grow two plants and just LST them.

just an opinion...

T5s normally come in 8ft and 4 ft lenghs. I would go with as many flouros as you can fit without going over 250w or just use a 150w to 250w hps. A 250w hps running for growing times would average less than 15 dollars a month in any state bro. Thats like leaving a tv on most of the time.(Not a really big tv either. Its when you go over 2000w is when you see the big spike and the meter starts spinning faster cause you use large amounts of electricity and run those lights. Any lighting for just one cabinet or closet is not going to have a severe impact on the electric bill.

Urdedpal said:
T5s normally come in 8ft and 4 ft lenghs. I would go with as many flouros as you can fit without going over 250w or just use a 150w to 250w hps. A 250w hps running for growing times would average less than 15 dollars a month in any state bro. Thats like leaving a tv on most of the time.(Not a really big tv either. Its when you go over 2000w is when you see the big spike and the meter starts spinning faster cause you use large amounts of electricity and run those lights. Any lighting for just one cabinet or closet is not going to have a severe impact on the electric bill.

i just got a 2ft t-5 for 120...4bulbswide, just saying

Sorry bro but its just not cost effecient to use the smaller T5s. A small hps, power compacts or flouro energy savers would work better.
I know which lights your talking about but the amount of lumins verses the price not to mention that the wattage is about the same as a small hps or just a little lower. Since he is starting from scratch I want him to have a chance to choose the best light to suit his needs.
I like T5s just in a larger setup and used primarily for veg and germing and cloning.

(2ft of bulbs won't be vary efficient in a four foot cabinet)

Aye watsup Robb I'm a newbie nd n my closet set up I'm using one sylvania 200 Watt nd its working wonderful try hid going pretty well for me its a clear utility light

Back
Top Bottom