The Expensive Farce Of Marijuana 'Eradication' In California

Every year since 1983, the Campaign Against Marijuana Planting (CAMP) has engaged in a quixotic quest to "eradicate marijuana" in California. And every single year -- all 26 of them -- it has failed miserably as marijuana became more and more available.

The waste, arrogance and abuse associated with the program -- which has unfortunately become the largest law enforcement task force in the United States, with more than 100 agencies participating -- have become legendary. Ordinary families have been terrorized by paramilitary units, peaceful homeowners have been buzzed by low-flying helicopters, and community relations between citizens and law enforcement have suffered almost everywhere CAMP has laid its heavy hand.

Of course all this is done at taxpayer expense, to the tune of millions upon millions of dollars. Good thing the state treasury's in good shape, flush with all that extra cash. Oh, wait...

And now that it's harvest time again, CAMP's expensive "eradication" efforts are once again in high gear, "despite a complete lack of evidence that they accomplish anything and considerable evidence that they make problems associated with marijuana cultivation worse," communications director Bruce Mirken of the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) told SF Weekly.

During its second week of operations, CAMP seized (they say "eradicated") 74,100 marijuana plants in Humboldt County alone. Personnel from CAMP, the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office, the U.S. Marshals Service and the U.S. Forest Service participated in the raids, according to a Sheriff's Office press release.

So far in 2009, CAMP teams statewide say they've seized more than 3 million plants, with continuing operations planned throughout the summer.

​Other than spectacularly failing to actually "eradicate" marijuana, Mirken maintains CAMP makes problems associated with marijuana cultivation worse. "As the number of plants seized skyrocketed in 2002, a key shift occurred," Mirken said. "Where once the majority were seized from private land, in recent years the overwhelming majority of seizures have been on public lands -- those very national forests the 'eradicators' claim to want to protect."

"'Eradication' campaigns appear to have literally driven the growers into the hills," Mirken said. By last year, 70 percent of plants seized were on public lands.

Two years ago, MPP challenged California Attorney General Jerry Brown -- who oversees CAMP -- to provide evidence, any evidence, that the program reduces marijuana availability, cultivation in dangerous or environmentally sensitive areas, availability of marijuana to young people, or involvement in criminal gangs in marijuana production and distribution.

He did not respond.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: SF Weekly
Author: Steve Elliott
Copyright: 2009 Village Voice Media
Website: The Expensive Farce Of Marijuana 'Eradication' In California

Do they still rip out feral hemp and use those plants to inflate their numbers for more funding? I think the snowball has started rolling downhill. As more and more people are becoming educated about the futility of the drug war and the hypocrisy of our elected officials the ball grows exponentially.

I sure would like to smoke a legal joint in my lifetime and I'm getting closer to the end every day. Fourty years of paranoia over an herb is taking it's toll!

When I have my card in my hands (still a few weeks to wait) I can then spark up a legal joint, because that is my medicine. That is not what you are talking about, but it does show that progress has been made.

They've always demonized these guerilla grows. I don't want foreigners growing crops illegally on our public lands either but the government is the reason they're doing it. The guerilla growers aren't really hurting anything except for the garbage they leave behind. The nutes they use are the same ones people use in there vegetable gardens.

Hey, thanks for linking to and discussing my SF Weekly article!

It's really a shame that, in 2009, CAMP continues to waste millions of taxpayer dollars on such idiotic folly.

Hey, thanks for linking to and discussing my SF Weekly article!

It's really a shame that, in 2009, CAMP continues to waste millions of taxpayer dollars on such idiotic folly.

:goodjob:
Its nice to have an open-minded journalist such as yourself as a member. I look forward to reading some of your future work and hopefully posts here :cool:

I guess we're still waiting to hear from jerry brown. wasn't he sort of a left winger back in the day?

Back
Top Bottom