The Governor's Council on Drug Abuse Programs

Stoney Girl

The Governor's Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs is still out to raise our fees and take the money. Their New Domino Effect Report is being passed around and we need to be at their meetings with lots of people. Here is the schedule, and the next meeting is May 27 which is coming right up.

State of Oregon: Oregon Department of Human Services - Page not found Page not found

Domino Effect - 2007-09 Governor's Council Plan for Re-building Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment and Recovery (PDF)

State of Oregon: Oregon Department of Human Services -

Re: The Governor's Council on Alcohol & Drug Abuse Programs

They are working on The Domino Effect again. They want to make recommendations for amending the Medical Marijuana Program to
1) Make sure all conditions covered by OMMP is evidence based.
Grant Higgenson knocked a hole in that one by telling them that all of the conditions that were voted in as well as Alzheimer's, which is the only one added since, are soundly based in science.

2) Standardize a dose.
I told 'em they would have to do an awful lot of research to standardize a dose.
Grammie told 'em that dosage varies widely from patient to patient and by manner of usage. There is no standard dose.

3) They want to legislate the right to audit gardens because of "rampant abuse of the program".
Grammie jumped on 'em. The Chair wouldn't recognize me.

You can send your comments to:

c.j.reid@state.or.us

After lunch, they had a roundtable where they talked about Mannix's initiative 40, the legislature's alternative bill and trying to figure out how to pay for treatment and the additional jail beds that are going to be created by the two bills. Whichever one gets the most votes wins, unless both lose.

They talked about a bunch of stuff I didn't really take notes on, alcohol, teen use, how to stop young adults from buying alcohol for their younger friends.

I was unable to contain myself when the Workdrugfree Director was speaking, so he invited me to join the group. It was mosh-pit politics.

Chris O'Neil, RN, DMin
Workdrugfree Director
Oregon Nurses Foundation
541-344-1232

Contact for Dan Harmon: 503-221-8851

The Gov's Council meets in Portland on 6-24 at 9:30-3:30 at 3618 SE122 AVE

They are struggling with their recommendations on Medical Marijuana thanks mostly to our objections. We need to keep the heat on.

We can do it! We just have to be there. You can even take the bus.

First thing to report is that Gary Smith, our ally on the Governor's Council came up to me at the meeting and told me that the language in the Domino Effect about raising fees had been removed. They will not be increasing our fees to $150 after all. Being there paid off.

They presented a new revised edition of The Domino Effect Report that we have not seen yet to Governor Kulongoski's brand new Drug Policy Analyst, Andy Smith. He asked for their 3 main points

1. They lack data
2. Data should be more diverse, not from a single source.
3. Lack of avaiable funding current sources are tobacco, alcohol, and lottery

As he was leaving I walked out the door with him and gave him a copy of I-28 and told him it was a piece of fully drafted healthcare reform legislation that is fully funded and won't cost taxpayers a dime. I asked him to please look at it and he said he would.

You go Stoney Girl! Let the patients be heard. My thoughts and hopes are for your success in the important endeavor.:clap:

Meeting Report

It is important to note that we packed the house, and that the Governor's Drug Policy Analyst was there to see it. That will get back to the Governor, for certain. Clearly the Governor is seeking information about our program. That is good: it means we have his attention.

Tawana gave a big slide-show presentation on OMMP mostly statistics that OMMP normally gives out and information about who qualifies for the program.

Then MAMA Sandy gave a talking to them with her usual message about evaluating all drugs on an equal basis.

After that it was Tawana and MAMA Sandy on the grill. The Council had a great many questions. Tawana and MAMA Sandy answered them as best they could, but many of their questions could not be answered at this time. I tried to write most of their questions down, but there were so many!

1. Does OMMP reject applications? Does OMMP confirm that patients have the condition that qualifies them for OMMP?
2. How many gardens, and how are they monitored?
3. Are there a small number of doctors who refer a large number of patients for the program.
4. What kind of labels are on marijuana-based medication?
5. Are patients told not to drive under the influence?
6. Employment Issues: What is a debilitating condition?
7. Ads about OMMP: are they legal, can the Council do anything about them?
8. Cardholders in treatment: How many has MAMA referred?
9. Stats: Most agencies report by age & gender, OMMP does not. Why & will you?
10. Can you track if doctors are doing new referrals or renewals?
11. Is the doctor informed if the patient gets a DUI for MMJ?
12. What percentage of patients in the program have a debilitating condition?

The Council is also concerned about norms in the community. They are very upset about several things.

1. Flaunting the ability to use marijuana
2. Cannabis Competitions
3. Sampling between growers
4. Sampling between patients
5. 420 Church, cannabis as sacrament
6. Tribune articles about OMCA/ Caregivers Cup
7. Young OMMP patients, under 18

The Council mentioned articles in the Tribune and the Oregonian about Medical Cannabis Competitions. They do not like to see us in the news. They do not like the Cannabis Cups. They do not want any kind of publicity for the program.

They do not want us in the workplace. They thought we would all be bedridden dying people, not people who could ever hold a job.

Of Special Note: the building is appallingly non-compliant with ADA. Their accessible entrance is around back, and the front entrance has at least 3 blatant violations. It is a new building, so it's unexcusable.

Back
Top Bottom