The Most Insane Anti-Marijuana Argument Ever

Anyone can dream up dumb reasons for keeping marijuana illegal, but it takes guts to equate pot prohibition with the survival of Western civilization. Mary Grabar at Pajamas Media shows us how it's done:

"The sanction for alcohol use has lasted for millennia. It has become part of our rituals at meals, celebrations, and religious services. That is a large part of why Prohibition failed.

Marijuana, in contrast, has always been counter-cultural in the West. Every toke symbolizes a thumb in the eye of Western values. So it follows that in order to maintain our culture, we need to criminalize this drug.

The prohibition against marijuana is one brick in the foundation of our society."

You know, marijuana has only been illegal for 72 years. This isn’t a brick in the foundation of anything. Marijuana's prohibition was born out of absurd racist demagoguery, and the counter-culture that subsequently emerged was a symptom of prohibition, not a justification for it.

Ironically, Garbar is trying to fan the flames of what she sees as a massive culture war over marijuana, yet as the comments indicate, she can't even get her own conservative readership to buy into it.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2009 StoptheDrugWar.org

"The sanction for alcohol use has lasted for millennia. It has become part of our rituals at meals, celebrations, and religious services. That is a large part of why Prohibition failed.

Marijuana, in contrast, has always been counter-cultural in the West. Every toke symbolizes a thumb in the eye of Western values. So it follows that in order to maintain our culture, we need to criminalize this drug.

All three can be applied to cannabis.
and
She means unamerican.

Sounds like Miss Grabar likes to drink.

Silly bitch. :roorrip:

Conservatives have nothing to hide behind anymore. They're scrabbling at anything they can to maintain the status quo.

and, here is an interesting comment from that same blog....

"Zaza:
Ah, sorry i have to disagree.

I cannot say marijuana is harmless, of course. Its a drug, and as such it clouds the mind and abusive use is dangerous. But obviously its human nature that a lot of people feel the need to get high, or drunk. You cannot change human nature with laws (one of the reason communism must fail and also why the prohibition failed). People will always find a way to get their drugs, legal or otherwise.

From my experience as a judge dealing with crime, i can say that about 80 % of all violent crime happens with at least one party intoxicated with alcohol. Number of violent crimes under the influence of marijuana i´ve had in the last 7 years: maybe 2 or 3 out of several hundred cases

Experience in Holland also shows that legalizing marijuana does not lead to a significant rise in substance abuse.

Heck, our great-grandparents used to add a bit of hemp flowers to their tobacco in world war one.

No, the ban on marijuana is not rational and does more harm than good. Usually conservatives have it right, but here is one point i have to disagree.

Dec 22, 2009 - 2:28 am"

I'm a Libertarian, which is far closer to Conservative then Liberal these days.

More government = less freedom

I believe the government has no business involving itself in anything beyond it's enumerated powers. The fig leaf argument that the goverment has the power to outlaw MJ because of the commerce clause is a contortion beyond argument.

There are a lot of famous conservatives that are (have been) against the drug war (i.e. William F Buckley)

I think the branch of the conservative movement that thinks they know what's best for you or I (the moralists) is what you're referring to. I'm in total disagreement with these guys.

I'm thinking that in time.....as more and more of the really old farts start dropping out of the government positions they hold, that marijuana will take on a whole different meaning. Im in my fifties now, I grew up around it,my kids grew up around it, my mother did not grow up around it and has had no access to it except what she knows from me. Well her idea of it is that its a "nasty drug that makes you whacky and have hallucinations", my kids have a totally different opinion. They choose not to indulge in it but their opinion of it is not as strong as my seventy year old mothers opinion.

Back
Top Bottom