The Mystery Of The Creaking Door

RangerDanger

Another Fasciniating Story From The Tattered Case book Of Ranger Danger.
(I've posted this at several other sites in the past so if you've read it before please do not reveal the stunning conclusion, thanks)

I had moved into a house a few months earlier. The place was beyond remote. You couldn't find it unless you followed someone there a couple of times. A maze of dirt roads and the house was 1/2 mile past a locked gate.
I usually listen to music when I'm on the internet but my sound card went out so it was quiet. And I heard the sound of a creaking door coming from outside, from the direction of the tool shed/storage building.
It was about 75 feet from the back door. I figured I left the door unlatched, no biggie.
The next day I saw the door was indeed unlatched. So I latched it (it's a simple latch that only works from the outside).
The next night about the same time--9 p.m.--I heard the creaking door sound again.
Hmmm.
I'm a little concerned but the latch probably came undone somehow.
The next day I checked it. It was latched.
Now I'm more concerned. I live my my disabled brother so it's basically just me. I didn't know what it was--it could've been some sort of deranged person who was going in there at night.
So I put a few small pebbles in the door pathway.
That night the creaking door sound again.
In the morning the door was latched and the pebbles were still in place.
What was causing that sound?

to be continued

Ok so now I'm quite concerned.
I couldn't figure it out. Something was creaking, but I noticed something...there was no wind!
I call up 2 of my friends and ask them to come over at 8 that night. I tell them about what's been happening and they both agreed to bring a spotlight and a gun.
(We each have one of those multi-million candlepower spotlights, and what fun they are. Sometimes we'd sit around the front yard and set the top of tree's on fire. Once we heard a noise in the bushes and we all hit our spotlights at the same time, and all that remained of Mr. Rabbit was it's shadow imprinted on the ground....but I digress.)
So they arrive and we sit and wait.
The minutes tick by slowly.
9 p.m.--silence
9:10--silence
9:15--still nothing.
When the creaking sound started a few minutes laterwe were so keyed up we practically jumped.
So we go out the back door, spotlight in one hand, gun in the other. We light the shed up with our spotlights and slowly approach.
The closer we got to the shed the louder the sound got, but the door was latched and not moving.
When we got a few feet away we noticed that the sound wasn't coming from the shed--but from the roof of the shed!
We retreated a few feet, expecting someone--or something--to jump down on us.

to be continued

I bet it was spiderman.

(racoons don't creak)

Then we noticed the sound was coming not from the roof of the shed, but up higher.
Whatever was causing that noise was up in the tree's!
You gotta picture this is your mind...3 guys with guns and spotlights, standing out there in a very remote area late at night.
We shined our lights up higher. Slowly up the trunk of the tree's then all through the branches.
Guess what we saw?
Nothing! And yet the sound continued.
It took a few more seconds to figure it out.
Planted next to the shed were 2 tall eucalyptus trees, probably over 100 years old.
And old eucalyptus tree's creak in the wind, just like a old door.
The house was located in a small canyon. There was a breeze that started soon after sundown, but the breeze didn't reach ground level.

We went back inside, cracked a few cold ones and smoked some celebratory weed out of my glass sherlock for solving the mystery.

Coming up soon: The Riddle Of The Rocks.
Stay tuned.

wow...

I think you got lazy and then finished the story quick cause you wanted to get high lol XD

RangerDanger said:
(racoons don't creak)

Shit man...I just shot coffee out my nose! That was funny.

But what if the guy one has a bad hip and he's standing on one leg knocking it out and.....ahem...that's different story.

Trees talk to each other...Lord of the Rings Trilogy marathon we had last weekend. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom