Snake In The House

RangerDanger

This occured about 4 years ago.
I was walking down the hall one evening, from the computer room to the living room.
The house is L-shaped, and I reached the point where a right turn leads to the bathroom/side porch, and to turn left leads into the living room.
As I reached that point I heard a sound that I am familiar with--the rattle of a rattlesnake.
I look over to the right and a 4' rattlesnake was curling up right outside the bathroom door.
As a lifelong SoCal backpacker I am well aware of what rattlesnakes sound like.
It's a sound that, once you hear it, you pretty much know what it is--and you'll never forget that sound.
So I've heard it maybe a dozen times in my decades of backpacking.
But not in a house.
In fact, that is like a nightmare to me--a rattlesnale loose in the house.

When encountering a snake in the woods, my tactic was simply to back up and wait. The smake after awhile would continue on it's way, crossing the trail, and then I'd proceed.
Not really an option here.
Luckily there was a piece of plywood nearby, which I immediently set up, blocking the bathroom/hall area off from the rest of the house.
Now what?
I have a 12- gauge shotgun, but i didn't want to blow a hole in the wall/floor plus get snake blood everywhere.
I called 911 and got one of Trinity County's finest and laid out the sitch and he said "You got a broom?"
"Yes" I replied.
"Well there ya go" he said.
"well I'm afraid of being bitten."
"Oh don't worry" the cop says, "their bite won't kill you. We aren't comig out there, bye."
After putting my disabled brother in my van, I went to the barn and got a hoe. I figured I could hack it to death behind the plywood barrier.
When I got back I found the snake was gone. It had left via the way it got in--through the pet door on the back porch.
At least I assumed it left that way--I didn't see it leave.
I spent a very uneasy night. There was a small chance that the snake had somehow manuvered around the barrier and was still in the house.
The next morning I went out and spent $100 for this electronic deal that consisted of a pet door that was locked unless the other part of the set-up--a device I attached to my dog's collar--was next to the pet door.
I never saw the snake again but for a week or more I was still kinda antsy.

They work very well.
It's a simple device that simply unlocks the door when the sensor is near. It doesn't open the door.
Most homes in the county I live in are rural. The largest "city" has less than 3,500 people and that's spread out over a large area. Because most homes are so close to nature I've heard of other creatures getting in through regular pet doors.
Skunks, racoons, possums, foxes and a variety of rodents, so many people have those electronic doors.
There was a story in the paper a few years back about a woman who had an outbuilding/work shop on her prop. The previous owner had owned a large dog, and since the winters here can be quite cold they had put a large pet door in so the dog could stay out of the elements.
Anyway she was in the work shop one day and a mountain lion came down the stairs from the loft. Ignoring her, the lion exited via the pet door.
After nailing the pet door shut the woman went upstairs to look around and discoverd bones of small woodland creature's--the lion had made the loft it's home.
The woman called the 1 animal control officer we have in the county and Christine came out with a trap, captured the lion and killed it. Apparently a semi-tame mountain lion, used to human presence is a bad thing.

If the piece of plywood hadn't been so handy I would've used my shotgun.
As a side note, the piece of plywood was so handy because I had constructed a small cloning area in my indoor growroom and this was a piece left over.

lol I would of just hit it in the head with something a shoe would of worked snakes are dangerous and all that but it dont take much to kill them with a head shot and if you had one little rattlesnake there is a chance there is a nest near and/or around you house you might want to check that out

A high powered air gun sounds like the tool for the job. It would have killed the snake with a low risk of collateral damage to your house. A 12 gauge is well overkill. :laughtwo: I can't believe they wouldn't send some sort of animal control. :hmmmm:

But a rattle-snake in your house, thats crazy!

And I thought it was bad back when I had spidermites lol.
I hate when pests and critters attack the homefront. There would be holes in the floor if it was me lol.

I know they're not as exciting as rattle snakes but...We have a nesting pair of ducks in our front yard every spring. I go down to the feed store and get cracked corn and stuff to feed them. The kids have a blast. Well my daughter left the front door open and we're sitting in the dining area having supper and all hell breaks loose in the front room. The male duck's knocking off a piece right there in the living room. LMAO. Then in the process of shooing them out they shit all over the carpet and the couch. Needless to say, we keep the front door closed when the ducks are in town.

We had a fat ass raccoon in our apartment the other day, it was funny. All my room mates ran in their rooms scared while my neighbor(a girl, not to bash girls but I would think a girl would run before a 20 year old man) shooed it into a garbage can.

wow man.... i would've caught it and kept it as a pet... lucky you had the plywood

im with you! snakes are awsome.
they should be respected not feared....
i had a common grass snake.. i named him trouser..
he was a very cool snake

I have a snake story.
First of all, I have a stand of oak trees and behind them a little sunny meadow I had been scoping out as a possible safe place to grow. Then one day I found a rattlesnake by my front door in some logs. Since I was expecting company, I called sheriff and 2 deputies came out. They were going to shoot it but I pleaded with them cuz I protect all wildlife that visits here. So they finally got a loop around the snake and took it to let it loose. . . guess where... behind the oak trees in the little meadow. I was SOoooooo glad I had not planted anything!!!

I don't get why fellow smokers here, would kill a living wild animal. There are better ways to deal with a little ole' rattle snake. I own snakes/scorpions/tarantulas/wolves and so on. I am glad it got away and lived it's life out ^_^

Not as bad, but.....

I live 1 county east of the OP, and also am in a rural area, but still a cluster of 30 homes on 5-20 acres each. I go to work REALLY early in the morning (at my desk at 5am at the latest - earlier if I need to get extra work done). Anyway, my family tends to leave the garage door up during the day for the kids to get bikes/toys/sports equipment out. One morning, I go to head off to work, and as I step up next to my motorcycle and begin to throw a leg over the saddle, I hear the sound of dry leaves/crinkled paper. Like the OP said, it's a sound that you don't forget once you know what it is (reminds me of the scene on Heartbreak Ridge where Eastwood introduces the troops to the distinctive sound of a AK47, and afterward they are keenly aware of it). So I back away from the bike and look under the workbench I park next to....sure enough a nice 3-4 foot long rattlesnake. I didn't hesitate - grabbed a shovel since he was coiled up against the wall, and beat/hacked the snake to death. Made enough noise, I woke my wife, who stuck her head in the garage to ask what I was doing....showed her the dead snake and then tossed it into the "back 40" for critters/buzzards to eat.

We get a decent scare every spring - kill anywhere from 1-5 on our property. Last 2 years have been lighter - I think our adopted stray/outdoor cats are keeping them away. I saw one of the cats do the "pounce/jump" routine on one until it was dead - just kept jumping straight up and landing with claws. Was kinda cool to watch...that was the day I went to the store for cans of soft kitty food :)

Back
Top Bottom