The often discussed "Grassy" smell

evenflow420

My Super Lemon Haze (10 week flower) is in jars at 60% rh and has a strong grassy smell. I've read enough posts and articles that Im sure I must have messed up the drying process. My plant was small and dried in 4 days on racks at 60% rh and 65-70 degrees. I then transferred to jars (60% rh) and have been burping 2-3 times a day for about 20-30 minutes for the last 3 days. Every time I open the jars to burp, it seems as though the grassy smell is getting even stronger. I was hoping that this grassy smell would start to subside, maybe I just haven't waited long enough... Do you think I should pull from the jars and let it breath on a rack for a day or should I just keep on curing and hope for the best? Its my first grow and Im kicking myself... I was so happy with the entire grow and harvest until this smell ruined all my fun :-(

Pic is from about a 1.5 weeks prior to harvest.

Attachments

• bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190325_091127.jpg
    20190325_091127.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 107
My Super Lemon Haze (10 week flower) is in jars at 60% rh and has a strong grassy smell. I've read enough posts and articles that Im sure I must have messed up the drying process. My plant was small and dried in 4 days on racks at 60% rh and 65-70 degrees. I then transferred to jars (60% rh) and have been burping 2-3 times a day for about 20-30 minutes for the last 3 days. Every time I open the jars to burp, it seems as though the grassy smell is getting even stronger. I was hoping that this grassy smell would start to subside, maybe I just haven't waited long enough... Do you think I should pull from the jars and let it breath on a rack for a day or should I just keep on curing and hope for the best? Its my first grow and Im kicking myself... I was so happy with the entire grow and harvest until this smell ruined all my fun :-(

Pic is from about a 1.5 weeks prior to harvest.
Just because you have managed to get your product into the 65-59 RH curing range, it isnt going to instantly change your pot. Curing takes time, and the proper humidity.
Now that you have it down to 60 RH and stable, stop burping or just do it for about a minute each day just to clear out the gasses that are building up. Let your jar sit for a month. After even a week you will notice the change start to happen and the smoke will smooth out and start tasting better. The longer you can keep it sitting in 65-59RH, the better it is going to get.

I get that the longer I cure the better the taste will get. My question is more about, is there anything I can do to help this grassy smell. I realize, at least from what I can find on forums, that I screwed myself with the dry and this grassy smell is a consequence. But, as I've been curing it (mind you its only been 3 days), it seems like the grassy smell is becoming more pungent, like the weed is soaking up grassy aroma. Almost like if you leave a piece of clothing in a smokers room, it becomes saturated with the smell of tobacco for days. I'm wondering if I could do something like pulling it out of the jars onto racks in a 60rh room to air it out a bit, for like a day, and then re-jar it. Would this help reduce the grassy smell or just do more harm than good?....?....

patience.... its the only thing that works, in the jar, sealed up, in the curing range. 3 days is not even a start and of course it still smells green. Get it out of your mind that just because you have harvested and dried it, that it is ready to smoke. You are almost there, but curing is definitely part of this process. In my tent, anything that I smoke before at least 2 weeks of curing has been accomplished and I start actually tasting my pot, was simply a test bud.

Back
Top Bottom