There Has NEVER Been a Recorded Death from Marijuana Overdose!

Weedpipe

420 Member
Contrary to what some politictans and prohibitionists try to tell you there has NEVER been a death from marijuana only overdose! the reason for this is marijuana's toxicity level, Its non toxic! you can "overdose" easier from water!

Studies have shown that the levels it would take to kill a person from overdose is 40,000 times higher than what it would take to get you "high". compared to alcohol which takes about 4 to 10 times the amount it takes to get you "high" and is responsible for literally thousands of deaths every year from overdose. so explain to me again why marijuana is illegal? and alcohol isn't.

Also, the number of American deaths per year that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide is represented by the chart below, according to World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports.

TOBACCO ---> 340,000 to 450,000
ALCOHOL ---> 150,000+
"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE -> 14,000 to 27,000
CAFFEINE --> 1,000 to 10,000
ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE -> 3,800 to 5,200
ASPIRIN ---> 180 to 1,000+
MARIJUANA ------->>> 0

Marijuana users also have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non-marijuana using population as a whole. Crancer Study, UCLA; U.S. Funded ($6 million), First & Second Jamaican Studies, 1968 to 1974; Costa Rican Studies, 1980 to 1982; et al. LOWEST TOXICITY 100% of the studies done at dozens of American universities and research facilities show pot toxicity does not exist. Medical history does not record anyone dying from an overdose of marijuana (UCLA, Harvard, Temple, etc.)

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Auburn Journal
Copyright: 2008, Gold Country Media
Website:there has NEVER been a recorded death from marijuana overdose!

A Scottish Police cheif once famously said in a newspaper interview that "the only way you could die from cannabis is if a 25 pound block of it fell on your head"

:grinjoint:

Your points are good but as more states do toxicology tests on people who were auto accidents involving a fatality they are finding more and more who have recently used marijuana. This is not as much as prescription drugs like OxyContin--legal ******, or Xanax but it is there.

People need to be aware that marijuana does affect their reaction time and driving may be impaired.

Steve

were talkin OD, not ignorance. cell phone use, eating, ect,ect, while driving is a bad idea too, but thats for another thread ... :peace:

Your points are good but as more states do toxicology tests on people who were auto accidents involving a fatality they are finding more and more who have recently used marijuana.....
first off, welcome to 420 Magazine.

as Weedpipe stated we're talking about Overdoses.

but even though your reply is off topic it gives me the opportunity to reply.

those findings do not prove it was the Cannabis that caused the accident or that they were under the influence of Cannabis at the time of the accident considering the long amount of time that THC remains in a persons system. how many people are in accidents that had no drugs, legal or illegal in their systems (i bet its the majority of accidents) and what would that prove, that unimpared drivers are dangerous? its the same sort of logic. i wonder how many redheads are involved in accidents or any other group of people you can think of ? i also wonder how many of the Cannabis users involved in those accidents were using other substances at the same time?

below are snipped from the full articles. you can find the entire articles by using the source links.......

Cruising On Cannabis: Clarifying The Debate
While it is well established that alc*hol consumption increases accident risk, evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents and injury is far less clear. Although acute cannabis intoxication following smoking has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment is seldom severe or long lasting. In closed course and driving simulator studies, marijuana’s acute effects on psychomotor performance include minor impairments in tracking (eye movement control) and reaction time, as well as variation in lateral positioning, headway (drivers under the influence of cannabis tend to follow less closely to the vehicle in front of them), and speed (drivers tend to decrease speed following cannabis inhalation). In general, these variations in driving behavior are noticeably less consistent or pronounced than the impairments exhibited by subjects under the influence of alc*hol. Also, unlike subjects impaired by alc*hol, individuals under the influence of cannabis tend to be aware of their impairment and try to compensate for it accordingly, either by driving more cautiously or by expressing an unwillingness to drive altogether.
As a result, cannabis-induced variations in performance do not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents when THC levels in a driver's blood are low and/or cannabis is not consumed in combination with alc*hol. For example, a 1992 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration review of the role of drug use in fatal accidents reported, “There was no indication that cannabis itself was a cause of fatal crashes” among drivers who tested positive for the presence of the drug. A more recent assessment by Blows and colleagues noted that self-reported recent use of cannabis (within three hours of driving) was not significantly associated with car crash injury after investigators controlled for specific cofounders (e.g., seat-belt use, sleepiness, etc.) A 2004 observational case control study published in the journal Accident, Analysis and Prevention reported that only drivers under the influence of alc*hol or benzodiazepines experience an increased crash risk compared to drug-free controls. Investigators did observe increased risks – though they were not statistically significant – among drivers using amph*tamines, co*aine and opi*tes, but found, “No increased risk for road trauma was found for drivers exposed to cannabis.”
A handful of more recent studies have noted a positive association between very recent cannabis exposure and a gradually increased risk of vehicle accident. Typically, these studies reveal that drivers who possess THC/blood concentrations above 5ng/ml – implying cannabis inhalation within the past 1-3 hours experience an elevated risk of accident compared to drug-free controls. (Motorists who test positive for the presence of THC in the blood at concentrations below this threshold typically do not have an increased risk compared to controls.) However, this elevated risk is below the risk presented by drivers who have consumed even small quantities of alc*hol.
Two recent case-controlled studies have assessed this risk in detail. A 2007 case-control study published in the Canadian Journal of Public Health reviewed 10-years of US auto-fatality data. Investigators found that US drivers with blood alc*hol levels of 0.05% – a level well below the legal limit for intoxication – were three times as likely to have engaged in unsafe driving activities prior to a fatal crash as compared to individuals who tested positive for marijuana. A 2005 review of auto accident fatality data from France showed similar results, finding that drivers who tested positive for any amount of alc*hol had a four times greater risk of having a fatal accident than did drivers who tested positive for marijuana in their blood. In the latter study, even drivers with low levels of alcohol present in their blood (below 0.05%) experienced a greater elevated risk as compared to drivers who tested positive for high concentrations of cannabis (above 5ng/ml). Both studies noted that overall few traffic accidents appeared to be attributed to driver’s operating a vehicle while impaired by cannabis.

Source: Cannabis Facts

Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence

It is well established that alcohol increases accident risk. Evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents is much less convincing.

Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations.

Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents. A 2002 review of seven separate studies involving 7,934 drivers reported, “Crash culpability studies have failed to demonstrate that drivers with cannabinoids in the blood are significantly more likely than drug-free drivers to be culpable in road crashes.” This result is likely because subject under the influence of marijuana are aware of their impairment and compensate for it accordingly, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. This reaction is just the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication.

Today, a large body of research exists exploring the impact of marijuana on psychomotor skills and actual driving performance. This research consists of driving simulator studies, on-road performance studies, crash culpability studies, and summary reviews of the existing evidence. To date, the result of this research is fairly consistent: Marijuana has a measurable yet relatively mild effect on psychomotor skills, yet it does not appear to play a significant role in vehicle crashes, particularly when compared to alcohol.

Source: Cannabis Facts

I agree that one should be alert as can be why operating a motor vehicle. But, it can not be ignored that conclusive studies have been established that the only real danger is a novice cannabis smoker (only smokin cannabis or large quantity of digested cannabis) seem to be impaired.

It is very bad to place the assumption that a person's accident may have been caused by marijuana because they had THC in their system at the time of a wreck. Studies show that people under the influence of marijuana drive more cautious and score the same on driving test as the standard (sober) driver. This is not to mention that because the THC was in their system doesn't mean they were (HIGH) at the time of the wreck.

Before even alcohol, the number one cause of road accidents/incidents and a majority of crime is (emotions). I would consider the position, that cannabis helps relieve stress factors physically and mentally which may improve not hinder the overall situation.

I agree that one should be alert as can be why operating a motor vehicle. But, it can not be ignored that conclusive studies have been established link-( https://suitsusall.org/Documents/Cruising on Cannabis 2.odt ) that the only real danger is a novice cannabis smoker (only smokin cannabis or large quantity of digested cannabis) seem to be impaired.

It is very bad to place the assumption that a person's accident may have been caused by marijuana because they had THC in their system at the time of a wreck. Studies show that people under the influence of marijuana drive more cautious and score the same on driving test as the standard (sober) driver. This is not to mention that because the THC was in their system doesn't mean they were (HIGH) at the time of the wreck.

Before even alcohol, the number one cause of road accidents/incidents and a majority of crime is (emotions). I would consider the position, that cannabis helps relieve stress factors physically and mentally which may improve not hinder the overall situation.

I agree 100% with this. I have been a professional driver for over 25 years and I actually believe cannabis improves driving abilities. Of course if someone is a bad driver to begin with its so easy for the anti-pot hysteria to take hold when someone has an accident and try to blame it on weed instead of muppetry. Novice drivers definitely shouldnt smoke and drive, neither should novice smokers.

Those of us who actually know what we are doing and can maintain control have always suffered as a result of numptys that cant handle their smoke and then crash their cars . A good example of this is how the shitty drug-test culture that is currently sweeping the US like a disease penalises flawless veteran drivers by making them take stupid drug tests, as if the fact they enjoy a toke at the weekend might affect their ability to drive a fucking car days later.

The worst offenders of this are in fact the Department of Transport themselves, and the 'taxi and limousine comission' of New York. The fact that their annual 'drug test requirement' is a BLATANT violation of the 4th ammendment and is essentially unlawful and groundless search and seizure, seems not to matter them to them as they steam-roll over the constitution year-in year-out, but the fact they are actually threatening to remove peoples liveleyhoods with this carry-on makes it also a violation of the 5th as well as the 4th ammendments. Strangely it is not a violation when private companies do this, only when it is the government doing it. The constitution exists to protect us from bullshit like this but in this case it isnt working. These people just decide they can re-write it on a whim to fit their idiotic anti-pot bullcrap propaganda machine. Can you tell I'm a bit pissed off about this? heh :)

But I digress. My point is I have been driving around stoned out of my face for decades and never had one accident. I used to do hundreds of miles a day in fact and was frequently called the best driver in the fleet. I find the suggestion that cannabis causes any kind of impairment utterly laughable. I think elderly and novice drivers are far more of a danger to road users but nobody seems to give a shit about doing anything about them. Since living in NY I've noticed the number one danger on the road seems to be impatient hot-heads. I think smoking weed should be mandatory for some of these dicks. Might calm them down and keep our insurance premiums at a reasonable level as a result.

Back
Top Bottom