there's a new sheriff in town

Founder
420Times.com has always been a place for people to talk freely about Marijuana without fear of being prosecuted. Recently things have been getting out of control in the forums. Members are attacking members and people are insulting each other just to start flame wars.

To curb this problem, and to make 420Times.com the best anti-Marijuana-prohibition web site on the internet, we have decided to put into effect a new no tolerance flaming rule.

People calling each other names is not mature and not the type of members we are looking for. There is no purpose to insult somebody because you disagree with what they are saying. If you do not agree with a member's post, please try to discuss it in a civil matter.

Anyone found guilty of violating these rules will be banned by ip address without a trial.

Good call 420. I'm sure a lot of you guys won't have a problem with it, but I think you've all seen the kind of stuff he's talking about. It ruins threads and pisses people off, and makes stoners look bad. Let's keep that kind of people off the site-it just ruins it for people who really care about legalization. Respect is so important-if we can't have it on here there's no point of the site continuing.

It is sad that an adult site needs to be baby-sat like this.

Hopefully this will serve as an eye-opener to those guilty of ruining this site for the rest of us. This should definitly improve the forums for all of the members who do contribute in a positive manner.

Please remember that you too can help out us mods by reporting bad posts/threads. Together we can all get this place running like it used to, a place where like-minded folks can gather and discuss marijuana issues.

I don't have much to say, except that I agree. If anyone is going to take this site and our messages about cannabis seriously, we need to just ignore things that would otherwise irritate us and discuss things in a mature manner, otherwise people pasing through here will just see a group of immature stoners, and that age old sterotype needs to be squashed.

A certain amount of immaturity is to be expected on this site, most of the people that post here are kids. I know that at eighteen or nineteen I thought I was all grown up and knew everything. It's amazing how much I don't know now that I thought I knew then. I'm fifty seven and I still do immature things, I haven't even figured out what I want to be when I grow up.

20,000 mature intelligent potheads is something for the world to fear. The new no flaming rule will take this website to new levels.

I have to agree with this decision. Thats one thing I hate about the internet. Its nice to see someone keeping a legit site. Most things on the web go to the dogs after a while. Good work 420.

If you are going to initiate a policy where no one is warned before they are banned, might I suggest you either require new members to look at a post/screen that informs them of what can cause an instant ban, or make a non replyable post clearly stating what will result in an instant ban. Otherwise, I think many people may be banned for unintentionaly insulting someone (IE: Jokingly calling someone a "dick" or something along those lines) or unintentionaly breaking the rules. You aught to make it cystal clear so as not to ban or drive away potentialy beneficial members who have brass senses of humor or who simply do not know the rules due to being new or uninformed.
-PM

WTG 420......I've seen alot of mud slingin' n name calling lately. I know a few of my posts can be controversial but mostly I try not to make it personal. Shit! I don't even know anyone here well enough to be mad with them, I have to respect their opinion but will air my own at the same time...... I enjoy the forums and hope they'll remain a place of info and enjoyment for all....................................:peace:

Thepurplem0nkey said:
If you are going to initiate a policy where no one is warned before they are banned, might I suggest you either require new members to look at a post/screen that informs them of what can cause an instant ban, or make a non replyable post clearly stating what will result in an instant ban. Otherwise, I think many people may be banned for unintentionaly insulting someone (IE: Jokingly calling someone a "dick" or something along those lines) or unintentionaly breaking the rules. You aught to make it cystal clear so as not to ban or drive away potentialy beneficial members who have brass senses of humor or who simply do not know the rules due to being new or uninformed.
-PM

Good idea. Maybe everyone should have to click "Agree" on a comprehensive "Terms of Use" screen as they are registering their user name. That way everyone knows the rules absolutly 100% for sure, with no excuses.

HappyKid said:
Good call 420. I'm sure a lot of you guys won't have a problem with it, but I think you've all seen the kind of stuff he's talking about. It ruins threads and pisses people off, and makes stoners look bad. Let's keep that kind of people off the site-it just ruins it for people who really care about legalization. Respect is so important-if we can't have it on here there's no point of the site continuing.

Yes, I think you deffinently hit the nail on the head right there. That pretty much sums up what i wanted to say. I have seen so many udnerage kids roaming around here and just starting flamewars. Oh and another thing is when people try to post pics of there bud, people are just like "ohhh that's some shitty stuff", "Oh, I wouldnt smoke that nasty, shit, my shits better" and so on. It has gotten worst and worst and was starting to make this place kind of un enjoyable. Thank you for stepping up to the plate Rob and taking care of this problem. I have been reporting every bad post where anyone says there underage or is just simply flaming. And i will continue to keep reporting them to help clean this place up!

honestly 420, i agree with you, iam tired of helping people that dont want help, or when you make a suggestion they blow you off like ur some idiot. iam sure all the people that contribute are tired of having thrown in there face.

****!STANDING OVATION!****

Smoky420 said:
... people are just like "ohhh that's some shitty stuff", "Oh, I wouldnt smoke that nasty, shit, my shits better" and so on...!

I have actually not seen much of that at all. It's really other kinds of fighting and immaturity that are forcing the mods to have to police the site.

RooRman said:
Good idea. Maybe everyone should have to click "Agree" on a comprehensive "Terms of Use" screen as they are registering their user name. That way everyone knows the rules absolutly 100% for sure, with no excuses.
I'm not sure how big this is going to turn out, but this is the very first page you are taken to when you register. It lists all the rules and guidelines. At the bottom (where I've underlined) it has a box which you must check before registering that says "I have read and agree to the rules and guidelines".

register.jpg

EDIT: It turned out small, but you get the idea

everyone PLEASE report rude and immature posts to a mod...
you don't have to be a mod to help clean up our community...

i've given all mods the same drill...
this is exactly what i told them, so there should be no confusion as to what is happening,...

never, ever leave a comment in these forums that is rude or offending to another member...i don't want to see anymore threads closed, leaving the crap remaining in the forum...delete it...and warn the member...if they start shit, one week ban...if they come back and start more shit, 30 day ban...if they come back and start more shit, permanent ban... most importantly, i want you guys deleting this crap from now on, not just closing the threads...it would be nice if someone went through and started doing that to what is here now, all the way back to the beginning...once some time has passed, they will get the drift and they won't do it hardly as much...one of the main reasons it continues is because they start seeing all of these crap threads and posts...if you delete them, they don't see them anymore...

forum guidelines for registration have been updated and must be agreed to before becoming a member..
Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

questions?
:tommy:

No questions, but I predict deleting threads mods find offensive will simply sprout new threads dedicated to arguing why the old thread was closed to begin with. You may want to consider keeping the thread with whatever was offensive deleted, unless of course it's a blatently obvios dumb thread. A mod could close it and explain (briefly) which rule was broken and why the thread is closed, along with a warning to the poster so everyone can benefit from the disciplanry action as opposed to repeating the same mistakes other posters make or causing new threads arguing about the original from being sprouted. Obvsiousley, I'm not tlaking about "How big is your Penis?" threads, but threads that are considered against the rules that many members are engaging in conversation with may be more beneficial being locked with a definitive reason as opposed to pretending it was never there (so others can come along and make the same mistake).
I say this as constructive criticism and as someone who acknolwedges you have complete authority (freedom of speech does not and should not be expected to exist on a PRIVATELY owned web page) over your own web page, but there are going to be occasions where marijuana smokers deeply rooted in marijuana culture begin talking about things you dont want them talking about. As someone who proclaims this websight is to promote marijauna culture, you walk a fine line of actualy presenting this culture in all of its uglyness and beauty, or following in the footsteps of our government and portreying only one biased aspect of this culture and the things you personaly find good. I say that with deep respect for all the hard work you have put into this and continue to put into it today, and just hope you keep that in mind before creating policy to clean up your sight.
-PM

IshmarRodriguez said:
20,000 mature intelligent potheads is something for the world to fear. The new no flaming rule will take this website to new levels.

Hell yes. We can make things happen. We've got the numbers needed. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

we've been closing threads and warning members for years monkey, it has not worked yet....you have no idea how many man hours are involved policing this website...and how many mods come with thier fake promises, then bail cause it is actual work....and how much drama i have to go through hiring, training, maintaining and firing mods...over and over and over again...we just don't have the resources anymore...what you suggest, requires more time...when their post gets deleted, they will get the warning message that clearly states why it was deleted...we are using the same text from the additional rules we just added...if they don't comply and start a new thread bitching about it, they will be banned and warned again...read above for the rest of the proceedure......

as for walking a fine line...these disscussions don't even need to be here....i can remove the ability to reply to and post threads, with the push of a button and just have myself and staff members post news and articles for you to read...i've come close to changing this back to a website instead of a community, numerous times...when the posts start belittleing my mission and my message, and begin to turn active freedom fighters away, i will do whatever i can to change it...and am currently doing so...
:allgood:

Back
Top Bottom