"thin" seedlings

ignint

I suppose this SHOULD be incredibly obvious but i just wanted to get a more knowledgable opinion.

The stems of my 2-3inch high seedlings are very thin and flimsy. I thought i'd ruined two of them when i moved them around the house to water them.

Should these stems be SO thin as to barely be able to support the weight of the leaves? Is that alright?
I looked today and i think they're doing better after a solid dousing of water...

Air movement will shake your plants, this will strengthen them. I had the same problem with one of mine but in a hydroponic setup. I used twist ties and a dow rod to help prop up the plant. I have found that when the stems are weak its usually because of too much moisture however if your lights are far away it will cause your plant to stretch out and become thinner. Your roots could be under developed as well and as a result your plant isnt getting the nutrients it needs. Keep watching them, you should be fine. All plants need are some tender lovn care.

the exact problem happened to me on my very first grow. They get real tall and thin and eventually die. I must agree with the other posters: more air flow, light closer, and a little less water.

is 8 inches above the top good for a 60w grow lamp from wal mart?

'm gonna guess that it's a flouresent light and tell you no. That is to far away for cfl. You want it no more than 3 or 4 inches from the tops. If they still seem to be streaching after than you can go to about 1 inch away. Hell I've had my plants try and grow up into a cfl bulb and they didn't get burned. Definitely don't recommend that one though. lol

i cant remember what kind of light it is, but all i know is that my dad once told me about his plants and he told me 8 inches is the best hieght but ever since he was in the hospital he doesnt seem like his brain is fully functioning.....:-( soo yea any ways, im going away for the weekend and my plant is 6 inches and its been growing like 1/2 inch every day, probably because the light was so high up, i moved it closer, so its 5 inches because i think itll grow up still and nobody will be here to raise those lights.

Back
Top Bottom