Things I’ve learned switching from HPS to LED

Glookies1

Having used HPS for years, I was apprehensive switching to LED.

After much research and self debate, I got myself a Fluence Spydr P2, full spectrum white light, 660 watts actual draw.

I’m on my second grow with it, and here’s what I’ve learned:

1. It IS way cheaper electricity wise. Not just the savings in the watts the light pulls, but much less electricity for cooling too.

I’ve totally eliminated A/C, an extra bonus on the electric bill.

2: It’s not just less room heat. It’s less radiant heat too. Meaning the heat the plant actually feels. I can run this bad boy 12 inches from the canopy with no issues.

3: LED’s seem to increase the need for cal mag. I don’t know why, but my plants had a big time cal mag deficiency on the first run. I’ve stayed ahead of it on the second run, but have read that others have the same issue with LED’s

4: I suffered no loss in yield. I’d heard that yield could suffer, but I don’t see it.

5: This LED is bars, and basically 4x4 in size. Light distribution is really good.

6: The white light makes the plants look better, and helps make it easier to spot any leaf discoloration.

Pretty glad I made the switch. It’s a pricey fixture at $1250, but the electricity savings and no $100 bulb changes will pay for that in no time.

I am running Timber COB led's in one small tent as a test. I have to say I did like the outcome. I don't know that I will be giving up my 1000 watt HPS anytime soon but they did impress. 2 plants grown under one 100 watt light produced around 3 ounces. That is a F**K ton of weed for 100 watts.

The fact they don't put out as much heat keeps the plants from stretching as much. That can be very helpful. Light penetration is the only place I am finding them lacking.

I am running Timber COB led's in one small tent as a test. I have to say I did like the outcome. I don't know that I will be giving up my 1000 watt HPS anytime soon but they did impress. 2 plants grown under one 100 watt light produced around 3 ounces. That is a F**K ton of weed for 100 watts.

The fact they don't put out as much heat keeps the plants from stretching as much. That can be very helpful. Light penetration is the only place I am finding them lacking.
Penetration can be an issue depending on the light chosen. I’m currently trying a scrog as I wasn’t thrilled with buds down low.

However, I’m not sure I blame the light. This strain is really bushy

The plants I super cropped did well bushing out and producing. I won't be doing SCROG any time soon. It doesn't work with how I do things nowadays. In the future maybe. same with the COB lights. I know I will want to be using them some day so I will get them when I can afford it.

I am too sold on the 1000 watt HPS. There is a reason everyone try's to make a replacement for them. I just wanted to make it CLEAR. These Timber COB led's are great lights. Like I mentioned I got over 3 ounces from 1 single 100 watt light in a 36" x 20" x 60" tent. That says all that needs to be said.

Back
Top Bottom