thinking of flowering earlier Than expected opinions

One thing I'd tell any first time grower... if you didn't put your trellis in while your plants were tiny, don't bother. I just broke so much growth off my plants wtf that was a pain. One and probably a half plant down now

Man some of my girls are already 3'x3' and a foot and a half to two feet tall. Well I'm going to try it out on a few individual scrogs and see how it turns out before I give up on scrog for my first grow. I mean I almost feel like I have to they've been so prepared for it. Wouldn't it be a even bigger pain trying to keep pulling them down with wire. They're already pulling up the wires I attach to the branches
image23989.jpg

Ok I was typing outta pure anger and anxiety lol. I actually only broke a couple of nodes I'll ad pics. They look sexy man keep up the good work... I see the benefit a couple hours after adding but I really would have put it in a long time ago had I known. It was difficult. If you've got someone that can give you a hand it'd probably help I should've asked my buddy to come over. Well like I said they look great bro, keep that up

Yeah when you first set the screen on it's a bit of work, but really it's just because you're doing it all at once instead of the same amount of work spread over a longer period of time, if that makes sense. And they sort themselves out for a bit of fine tuning after a night. I haven't found that I've broken many branches -the occasional one I have had to put a splint on.

I snapped two completely off and one I think will mend didn't take pics of those in particular but it was the plant all the way right by itself if any of these pics makes that easier it's where I had to mount to on my shelf that a caused me problems...

Bottom pick was of the boy. I know it happens and it was my only bag seed so fingers crossed I won't see another one. Sucks to raise em only to find out they're bad seeds lol, sure my parents thought that a time or two

Here's a pic of my diy -pulled out of my ass on the spur of the moment -scrog setup. The poles are arrow shafts that I had laying around. They are jammed into holes that I drilled into the plywood base. The arrow shafts are sprung outward a bit by the screen which holds them in very tightly but I can also disassemble everything extremely easily as well. The screen is held onto them with nylon cable clamps - the sort that of thing you use for organizing electrical cables- plastic loops loosened and tightened/attached to the screen frame with a screw. I set it above the plant, loosen the screws and lower the whole screen down. I can tilt and raise and lower it as needed which makes it pretty easy to put on and adjust. I arrange four of these screens under a light and make a sort of bowl shape a bit. I can have whatever number of plants under each screen or fasten all the screens together and put a base for one plant underneath. The plywood base has a couple runners to make it easier to lift up and also for water drainage. I'll tweak these a bit more when I get a chance (trim the poles to the maximum height I need once I know what that is, and put caps on them to save myself from being skewered) I really did them fast but they are working great. Hope it gives you some ideas and you don't mind the pics dumped.

Oh yeah, one essential thing - I put screws, four or five of them, into the plywood around the pot base close to the pot and sticking up an inch or more. This keeps the pot from sliding sideways which could be a killer for the plants. I lift these set ups and move them around all the time and I also can lift the pots up an inch or so to check the weight for watering purposes.

image19752.jpg
image19751.jpg
image22440.jpg
image22050.jpg

Oh yea I wasn't ignoring you about the cfls, I was using them with the seedlings and through veg for the 6500k spectrum. I still have them going cause they cost next to nothing to run and with the portable piped in ac air temp hasn't been an issue ever. I intend t use them for a few that didn't meet the screen and are too short to tie. Other than that I don't think they harm anything no?

So sick man I like it and don't mind the pics at all. Thanks for the advice and the lesson there I'm gonna go so much different and outside of the tent on my next grow.

Oh good I'm glad that bottom pic was the male. They look good! You'll have lots of chance to tuck them here and there in the next while and the plants will show you what needs to go where next. You'll probably want to raise the screen a little or tuck the plants down a bit in spots. You'll see...
Oh yeah the cfls. No of course they won't hurt I just thought maybe you might get claustrophobic working in there and need a bit of room but if it's working no need to fix it.
It's a lot to manage isn't it? Kind of mind bending sometimes.
I was posting at the same time as you so didn't quite realize you were already set up but whatever- maybe some ideas there.

I'm very open to suggestions wasn't being confrontational about the cfls lol haha... just wondering you're opinion I've gotten some mixed reviews to say the least. Most tell me of th eyes aren't t5 they're a waste of money... but my plants didn't see hps for three weeks and they grew strong and fast. I'm ga be ditching the sides that aren't near lower nodes for sure. What do you know about the uvb lights? I've already bought em I figure as long as I'm careful might as well try. Also after two days they're all getting very sticky and I'd say the smell has tripled. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.. I'll post more pics in a few days, til then thanks for the advice...

Cool. I haven't used cfls except for cloning and know nothing about the UVB lights. I could use a little side lighting myself, but I hate to put more wires in because I'm always trying to simplify and tidy up things I already have.
Look forward to seeing how it all goes. :thumb:

Thanks yea your grow is very clean I imagine. Just judging by how slick those set ups were. I meant to ask you what did that first plant yield? also I wanted to keep the net higher but as I was bringing it down I ran into an issue with the height difference between the two big ones and the rest. I wanted to get everyone in the net. I'm gonna work with it though luckily nothing is permanent. I've got high hopes for the end but I honestly just enjoy all of it. I'll keep the pics coming. May be introducing a co2 tank but also considering just melting dry ice in there. Well til next time thanks for the feedback and keep it green

Ha ha ha! That made me laugh. I wish my grow was clean! Shit I just have so little time in life right now. I am away a lot. That's why I'm not doing a journal. But I do like to try to know what's going on with the wires and make sure the timers and fans and all the accumulated shit I have ticking away is working properly for when I'm not there.
If you mean the plant pic taken from the side view? That was two plants under that screen and the screen wasn't very full actually. They're Mama Thai 100% sativa, and I didn't know what to expect from it so I put them into 12/12 when 4 inches tall. I still haven't harvested them yet, they are finishing very slowly. Next round I'll fill the screen more. The reason the buds look so fat is from using Light Addicts back building technique.
The other pic is one plant, jack herer- not harvested yet either.
You can raise the shorter plants up on blocks or whatever is around that's stable.
A watering can with a long spout is handy

That's bad ass that single plant they all look amazing though. My dwc is Frankenstein city. When constructing it I couldn't find the grommets to fit pvc anywhere. My first set of buckets I screwed up bad trying to make seals with everything because I didn't wanna use threaded due to step downs at every juncture. I should a just used threads and ate the step down. It'd have been much easier and cleaner build. What I have essentially after getting frustrated and delayed trying to make this work, is pipes wrapped with silicone tape and jammed into slightly oversized wholes and caulked in and out. My buckets are sitting all on a single planter stone to aid backflow, but now I'm unable to move them at all until this is done. As it is my reservoir has a small leak that I need to address when I change my water this saturday. Luckily I was smart enough to install ball valves on my in and my outs. I should be able to close them all and fry my reservoir then re caulk it with just air stones running in the buckets. Won't get good drying time, but the leak is minimal and really could be ignored as it cannot get worse.

After all that and so many more mistakes lemme just say my next set up (that's already built in my head lol), is gonna be far cleaner, more easily accessed and far more efficient. Gotta crawl for yup walk I suppose lol

Yeah I know how it goes. I built this particular grow quite a few years ago. I've been focussing on refining things ever since. It's so much work, and constant scraping together for the next supplies, and billions of hours of reading. Which doesn't mean at all that's it is refined now, Lol. So far to go still. It's just kind of a process of elimination of problems, and upgrades (spending $) and replacement of stuff all the time. It has been a bit of a battle -hence the signature.
I somehow missed that you were growing DWC. Won't need the watering can then...

Ok so a week unto flowering I may have an issue really need some opinions on this. I'm going to add 6 photos the last is zoomed in on a plant and what I think I'm seeing are pollen sacks forming. Anyway weasel gimme some thoughts man you've inadvertently become my growing guru lol. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom