To build or buy pre-made? First Time Grower

NEWBGRWR

Hi everyone!

This is my first time growing. I'm quite excited to start this new "project".

I have a spare basement (finished) room measuring approx. 12(wide) x 11(wide) x 8(high).

I plan on building a room inside that room. I am decent with tools etc... I am looking for advice on my setup. Should I build a room approx. 8x8x7 inside that room, or buy a pre made tent? The tents look quite convenient, but the cost of making my own seems like a better idea?

I was going to make a basic wood frame and wrap it in white reflective material from a local hardware or grow supply shop.

The big reason I am steered towards making my own, is again cost and size. I could make a bit bigger of a room that I really need, but have a section in a corner etc for cloning etc... It would also give me more room to work.

I guess the tent idea would be more of an easier solution since it's almost like a plug and play setup.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Build a room. It's so much nicer to have a solid structure. Take a look at my grow journal. On page 1, it has pics of my grow box. I can plant up to 8 in there comfortably. More than that if I mash them in there. You can easily modify to your desired measurements. It cost me about 600 bucks total for light, ballast, fan, filter, pots, soil etc ..... You can't buy one for anywhere near that amount.

Build a room. It's so much nicer to have a solid structure. Take a look at my grow journal. On page 1, it has pics of my grow box. I can plant up to 8 in there comfortably. More than that if I mash them in there. You can easily modify to your desired measurements. It cost me about 600 bucks total for light, ballast, fan, filter, pots, soil etc ..... You can't buy one for anywhere near that amount.

Thanks for the fast response Muttt! You have a nice setup. I am thinking of doing something very similar. I will prob be going with LED lighting to save on hydro and heat. I was also considering using a CO2 setup too cause it seems like the plants can really benefit from that.

I plan to add a CO2 setup eventually. But, i've spent enough money for now. I might add a CO2/fan/temp/humidity controller after this grow finishes.

I plan to add a CO2 setup eventually. But, i've spent enough money for now. I might add a CO2/fan/temp/humidity controller after this grow finishes.

oh ok! I'm still stuck trying to figure out what lighting to go with. There are so many mixed results etc...

NewB, Are you going to grow commercially? For your self and hubby/wife? The reason I ask is this, If you are going to grow juust for yourself then start small and learn. Aint nothing in the world like putting out hundreds of bucks just to find out you dont enjoy playing farmer!

Build yourself a 3X3x8 box with plywood and framing lumber and spend your bucks on lights. paint the inside with flat white paint and grow a couple of plants to learn exactly what you need to do to grow great meds. You can alway convert this learning box into a starter box or what ever.

If your going to be a commercial grower, read a bunch more, then spend your money on the lights and all the extra gadgets you will need.

NewB, Are you going to grow commercially? For your self and hubby/wife? The reason I ask is this, If you are going to grow juust for yourself then start small and learn. Aint nothing in the world like putting out hundreds of bucks just to find out you dont enjoy playing farmer!

Build yourself a 3X3x8 box with plywood and framing lumber and spend your bucks on lights. paint the inside with flat white paint and grow a couple of plants to learn exactly what you need to do to grow great meds. You can alway convert this learning box into a starter box or what ever.

If your going to be a commercial grower, read a bunch more, then spend your money on the lights and all the extra gadgets you will need.

I am growing for a bit of both. I live in a condo, so I cant have a large setup and I need to be very careful about power consumption etc to not bring attention to myself. Thats why I was thinking of going with LED lighting... I was also looking at the prices of basic tents, the cost difference between wood, and paint etc may be very little?

I went to a local grow shop tonight... They were very helpful They have a package deal on right now. icluded: 5x5 tent, 1000 watt hps with digital dimable balast with bulb, 6" inline fan with carbon filter, light timer, pots and soil all for $1300 tax included. I could save a little by building a room but i really like how everything is one unit and can be taken down quickly. I also want to avoid buying stuff online to not bring extra attention to me.

I would be able to...The tent would be in it's own separate room in my house. I was also thinking if I decide to expand my setup down the road, I could use the tent as my flowering room and then build a separate room for vegging etc...

One major issue I found with tents is they need to be setup in a room that you can control the temp's etc. If you can control the environment around the tent, your good.

That's really not a bad price at all. He might even drop a couple hundred if you haggle with him a bit.

Back
Top Bottom