Totally confused now

good response Mr. Bones....I cant wait to get started on this journey. Honestly, I cant believe it has taken me this long to do it. Seems silly to keep spending money on something that someone else has grown. Tired of the inflated prices.... and it will be nice to be able to find my own preferred buds of choice.

Absolutely, I do my best to always speak from experience and if it's from opinion I mention that it is.

Regarding the how's and the why's, I've done side-by-side grows with HID, T5 and LED. LED always works great for quality and even density however yields have always been lower then the HID, usually by around 35% - 40%

Also beyond my personal experience, I've been lucky enough to follow the experience of customers who have taken on all LED rooms, only to eventually go to HID.

There are hardly any large commercial growers using exclusively LED's because of these same reasons, if they worked these people with large investments would most definitely switch if it could save them money while maintain their same income if not exceed it.

Now don't take the above as an all out bashing of LED's, I actually like them a lot and I feel they have great potential.

I think eventually LED's will be much improved and beat out the old HID technology, I just don't think it's happened quite yet. Could happen any day now because many are in the LED market however few care about advancing it's quality (most only care about getting money).

I'm sure members on here grow well with LED and get nice yields etc. I was simply providing my experience and input. It does not mean others have to agree with it. ;)

It takes a long time to turn a big ship...

Especially when many companies messed up the LED reputation from the get-go. Making claims they shouldn't have made caused a big backlash IMO

I totally agree...

If I could afford to just lay down $2400 on something completely unneccessary that shouldn't cost more than a C-note and time (which would probably be enjoyable) I'd give the LED a shot and learn from it. But as far as yield/weight goes...kinda got to agree with the guy who said basically to expect 2/3's of what an hid setup will do. With that said however, if it's just for personnal use, quality has a way of making up for quantity.

If I could afford to just lay down $2400 on something completely unneccessary that shouldn't cost more than a C-note and time (which would probably be enjoyable) I'd give the LED a shot and learn from it. But as far as yield/weight goes...kinda got to agree with the guy who said basically to expect 2/3's of what an hid setup will do. With that said however, if it's just for personnal use, quality has a way of making up for quantity.

As I have stated I dont want to spend that kind of money either, but I have limitations on what I can do in the space that I have. I agree that if given the option I would definitely do something on my own and build it, but....I dont have that optioin because stealth is what I need. Too many prying eyes. Everyones situation is different and unfortunately I have no choice. Either stealth or no grow. Besides, its only money...lol. And honestly I will eventually spend that amount anyway over the long term, but with this setup I can grow what I want and not have to only have access to what is available from joe blow down the street. Quality over quantity always....

Just use pvc pipe and poly plastic to achieve the exact same thing custom; can't get any "stealthier" than that. Use the extra money to buy the LED and a frick'in carbon filter. Wasn't trying to be a smart arse, was just trying to help you achieve what it seems you're looking to accomplish. Imho, $2400 for the space you stated will end up really disappointing you 3 months later and would be better spent on a trip to a dispensary, no matter how far away...with the exception of the enjoyment one gets from "making" their own; which was kinda the original point of my first post.

Just use pvc pipe and poly plastic to achieve the exact same thing custom; can't get any "stealthier" than that. Use the extra money to buy the LED and a frick'in carbon filter. Wasn't trying to be a smart arse, was just trying to help you achieve what it seems you're looking to accomplish. Imho, $2400 for the space you stated will end up really disappointing you 3 months later and would be better spent on a trip to a dispensary, no matter how far away...with the exception of the enjoyment one gets from "making" their own; which was kinda the original point of my first post.

the walls of my rooms are made from black poly... 10 bucks at wally world in the paint section

I totally appreciate what you are saying and I agree. the cheapness of doing that is obvious and given a different space it would work. Hell, If I hadve been smart I would have done this in the empty bedroom in the basement of my old place, but alas, I didnt stumble across this great website till after we moved out. This is all very new to me, so none of the advice or ideas are ignored. I wonder tho, to setup the same as the hydro box that AC Tech offered if the only difference would be that it comes in an awesome metal box. What I mean by that is, after all is said and done, and you buy the same stuff ie. Led lights, hydro equip, etc. how much difference in actual cost there would be. Led lights are pricey, and just to get the hydro equip will cost money as well. Fans, carbon filtering etc. all adds up.

Would all that be around $1000. $1500....???? My point is this. If it cost me $1000 to setup with equipment, nutrients for a year. then that would leave a $1400 difference. For some, doing it yourself is awesome and people do like to do that. I am not a real tinkering kind of guy, so the out of the box concept is pretty appealing. Is it worth it to me for 1400 to have this setup and running perfectly from the get go. For me it is, but for others they just cant see the point of what they see as wasting money.

As with everything it all comes down to one's own limitations. I love to think and dream about the possibility of having a big grow room with 50 plants and everything be perfect. I dont see that happening until I move somewhere else other than my condo...lol

I am not trying to be argumentative here but just trying to explain or justify the cost. For me, it would work based on my space. For others...not so much.

Thank you for the insights tho. I am learning so much on this site it is amazing...

Actually, I would tape/tack/whatever the poly up in the grow area. You can buy a "cloner" online outa Albuquerque for less than a hundred bucks and use it as a bubbler. A wally's world or kmart fan will handle your air and nutes are easy to google anyways (and for sure aren't part of the cost of your tent ta boot.) That will almost for sure guarantee you're not completely disgusted at the final results, give you all you need in experiance to learn & enjoy...and except for the light and nutes should run you less than $200 no matter what. Then you can make an informed decision on whether or not the $2400 is actually a prudent investment. Growing's like cooking...some just instinctively have and some don't...and there's really no way to know 'till you roll up your sleeves and dive in. Guess what I'm getting at is this: the area you described is very unlikely to yield you $2400 worth of "fruit of your labors" no matter what you do first time out so why put that much into it when (no matter how smart the person may be) you're almost for sure gonna have a learning curve anyways as to what will actually work in your particular circumstances.

I really appreciate the comments, ideas and thoughts you have posted. All very valid and good points to take into consideration. hmmmm, pondering, thinking, dreaming.....awww screw it, I need to light up again...hehe...

Back
Top Bottom