Transplanting method vs one large pot size?

Marbles420

I had a brainstorm while planning my first outdoor grow in my fenced and secluded backyard, after reading many grow guides I'm still debating on whether to start with small pots and go with the transplant method or just use a 5 gal pot from seedling to harvest.

Can anybody give me some advice and tell me if it's really that important?

Please read on... if it's best to go with the transplant method, my brainstorm is to do the following, fill a 5 gal pot with soil, then insert an 8" pot inside of it, filled with soil, then insert a 4" pot inside the 8" pot and of course the seedling inside the 4" pot. Then when it's time to transplant to the next size up (8" pot), I can then pull the 4" pot out and drop the plug back into the preformed hole of the 8" pot and then repeat the process for the next transplanting stage from 8" pot to 5 gal pot.

My thoughts are that the soil temp and moisture might be more consistantly stable being inside the muti-stage pot. Does this make any sense or have I gone "marbles?"

:peace:

do you think youll need to move your plants at anytime during the season? if not planting in the groud will allow for bigger plants. if you staying with pots then the least amount of transplanting is best

Hey greenmonkey, I would like the convenience to move them around if needed which is most likely and I plan to keep them under 4 ft tall but somewhat bushy, I want to keep them under the fence height (6 ft) and besides, the soil here isn't the best and will likely invite more pests than if I have them in pots.

We have little critters (gofers) that like to eat the roots of my trees, I can imagine what they would do to my BUDmato plants.

I'm thinking like you, the less handling/transplanting = less chance of shock
Thanks for your response and valuable info Bro
:peace: :grinjoint:

I have grown outdoors for years and i germ my seeds in a rag or papertowel and put them in plastic cups with seed mix soil because it is lite and they will come up better. once they are a few inches tall i will build a bed outdoors in a good spot of course and transplant straight out of the cup to the bed. I will then cut the nozzel or open end of a 2 liter pop bottle off and poke 2 wholes in it and cover my plant creating a small greenhouse I will leave this on for 2 or three weeks or until the plant fills the bottle. Usually they are big enough most critters leave them alone. hope this helps .

I have grown outdoors for years and i germ my seeds in a rag or papertowel and put them in plastic cups with seed mix soil because it is lite and they will come up better. once they are a few inches tall i will build a bed outdoors in a good spot of course and transplant straight out of the cup to the bed. I will then cut the nozzel or open end of a 2 liter pop bottle off and poke 2 wholes in it and cover my plant creating a small greenhouse I will leave this on for 2 or three weeks or until the plant fills the bottle. Usually they are big enough most critters leave them alone. hope this helps .

High Riverrat,

Yes it helps a bunch, every little bit helps, and your idea using the plastic 2 liter bottles as a greenhouse is xlnt. That should keep the flies and gnats off of them too. Mucho appreciated !!!

Thanks a million Bro :peace: :grinjoint: :slide:

Back
Top Bottom