Transplanting

Ming Subutai

Hello, first post and first grow.

I just picked up a HTGS 400w HPS/MH Kit and a bunch of Mylar, today. I already have a bunch of fluorescents. I'm going to build up my setup more. I just wanted something, so I could get off the ground.

I threw a bunch of seeds in some moist paper towel. A couple days later, I got 36 sprouts. I then put them in styrofoam cups. Before I had my 3.7 gal posts. I put a 3 plants in 1.5 gal pots. They are doing really good. I ended up getting a couple dozen 3.7 gal pots. Should I transplant the 1.5 gal to the 3.7 gal pots?

3.7 gal pots are ok for indoor use right?

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

-Ming

Yes. What Crrehak said.... Need more input to provide output.

And pics..... Everybody likes pics ;)

:welcome:

If you're growing small plants, like some dominant Indicas...you might get some good results with just a 3.7 gallon pot. Lot of it depends on what you're growing, Sativas or Indicas, whatever nutes :morenutes:, and just whatever. Regardless, I'd go with at least a 5 gallon pot, but that's just me.

that really depends on the size of the plant...

what kind of nutes are you using out of curiosity, pictures, etc.

All plants are 10 to 14 days old. They are getting their 3rd set of serated leaves. So a few cm tall.

From what I've read so far, nutes during the first 2 weeks do more harm than good. Is this correct? What are some decent nutes?

I can't do pics right now. I only have a cell cam.

I'm just doing bag seeds now. They can be anything. Something to get my feet wet and get my room up to par with. I'm going to eventually buy seeds. Like I said, I want to get some practice. So I kind of know what I'm doing when I order them.

That is some interesting info...I have mainly what looks to be Indicas and one Sativa. I know they need to be in something bigger. I am at the first week of flowering, would it be safe to transplant them. I expect it would be a shock to them but would it slow it down too much? And 3 gallon pot would be the way to go, right?

3.7 gallon pots are perfect for indoors, imo. A good tip I got from someone long ago is that 1 foot of plant above the ground requires 1/2 gallon of root space. So an 18" indica will need at least a 1.5 gallon pot, because it will finish at about 36". An 18" sativa will finish larger, so it would need a larger pot. 3.7 gallon pots are big enough to accomodate even the leggiest of strains, as long as you don't get em too big before ya go to 12/12.
One thing to keep in mind is that the above examples are without stress training (supercropping) or topping/pruning. If you supercrop or top your plants, allow for the extra root growth. I typically do indica doms in 3 gal pots and sativa doms in 5 gal pots. Mother plants go in 7 gal pots. That's just what I do, though. Seems to work well. :peace:

Snub, thanks for the info. My tallest one is 17in, I am thinking it could be a male. I have one pot that seem to cracked at the bottom some how and a root was growing out from under it. So that made me think it may need more room. Another plant has been drooping for awhile due to over watering. I have not given it anymore water lately but it is still drooping, was also thinking it may need more room?

Snub, thanks for the info. My tallest one is 17in, I am thinking it could be a male. I have one pot that seem to cracked at the bottom some how and a root was growing out from under it. So that made me think it may need more room. Another plant has been drooping for awhile due to over watering. I have not given it anymore water lately but it is still drooping, was also thinking it may need more room?

The tall one might just be displaying a sativa pheno: height. Do you have any info on their genetics?
What size container are they in now and how tall were they last week when ya started bloomin?

I did measure them last week, there is one at 11in, 3 at 14, one at 16 in and the one at 17 in..Dont know the strain, its bag seed. You can see pics of them on my gallery but some of them are blurry. It would give you an idea what size pot it is too. My bf bought the ones they're in now but it doesn't say on the pot how big it is. Sorry...

Kinda hard to tell from the picture, but they look like one gallon pots. I'd transplant em to 3 gallon pots asap. It will add about a week to the total flowering time, but they should be fine. It's definitely better to transplant before ya flower because of the stress, but having exposed roots out the bottom of the cracked pot might give ya some problems down the road. And if you're gonna transplant that one, you might as well do em all, imo. Good luck, whatever you decide. :Namaste:

Snub, thanks for the info. I don't want the roots to lock up. Any signs of what to look for when they do lock up? The one plant that is still drooping is the one that is bothering me the most. I dunno sometimes I think I am trying to hard....

I plan on using 2 or 3 gal buckets for autos.

Instead of transplanting I plan on cutting the bottom off of the cup and sticking it into the soil on the bigger bucket. I read it somewhere but can't find a link. The idea is once the roots hit the big bucket they can spread themselves and you have more support and less mess. Just an idea.

Snub, thanks for the info. I don't want the roots to lock up. Any signs of what to look for when they do lock up? The one plant that is still drooping is the one that is bothering me the most. I dunno sometimes I think I am trying to hard....

Clicky! :)
What is Root-Bound?

Thanks Snub, as much as I have read on here, I never found that thread for root bound. It's making me think that is where my problem is with my girls, they seem to have most of the symptoms listed...

Back
Top Bottom