Trying to Understand DWC

stewbacca6

So do I have this right for a DWC:
You have the water up to the net for a seedling and gradually lower the water level down as the plant gets bigger, so where the end of the roots are just barely touching the water?

Also, is there a minimum amount of water needed in say a 5gal DWC or do you keep lowering the water level so as not to have the roots in the water.

Thanks!

With DWC roots are fully submerged in Super Oxygenated nutrient water. Water is oxygented using an air pump and air stones. This part is important since roots need Oxygen as well as nutrients and water.

Water would be filled up to where the roots leave the stem. Usually near the bottom of the basket.

you want the water level about an inch below the net pot and you want to try and maintain this water level, the roots will grow down into it and be totally submerged but as long as that airstone is running and you keep your nute solution maintained and algae out, you'll be all good...

check out my dwc grow journal I just started and hit me up with any questions, I'd be more than happy to share some knowledge on this simple method of hydro...

https://www.420magazine.com/communi...lue-600w-hps-dwc-hydro-grow.85222/post-714585

well I will be mixing it up with the water in a 5 gallon water jug before pouring it into the reservoir but the simple action of pouring it in and the bubbles should keep it mixed up....

Most important part of a DWC grow is making sure your reservoir is light tight and that ain't no bullshit, the littlest bit of light getting in can cause algae growth and suffocate your plants. You can use additives to your nute solution like hygozyme which will eliminate and inhibit algae growth and the more airstones you have the better.

Most important part of a DWC grow is making sure your reservoir is light tight and that ain't no bullshit, the littlest bit of light getting in can cause algae growth and suffocate your plants. You can use additives to your nute solution like hygozyme which will eliminate and inhibit algae growth and the more airstones you have the better.
The secret to stopping algae from growing is to stop all light from reaching the water zone and to keep the solution under 70degrees F. Cooler solution carries more DO (disolved oxygen) than warm water. During hot days with rising res temps I've treated things with peroxide. 3% at 1 teaspoon per gallon. It boosts the o2 content of the solution. But too much can burn the feeder roots causing lock out and death to the plants.

doesn't the peroxide kill beneficial micro-organisms too and not just the algea?

if you were doing organic hydro don't you want the good micro -organisms that help the roots use more of the available nutes
to stay healthy or is that what all those expensive myco.... whatever solutions are supposed to replace after you've done peroxide...

there is a solution reiceipe for a longer lasting hydro solution you don't change out that probably supports that good bacteria thing [lucas formula?}

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Plants appear green because they reflect green light. So that means they don't use green light. So If you used a green bucket so then only light that could enter would be green. Surely you wouldn't get any algae.

Just a Thought. :bong:

this system interests me but theres one thing i dont get .okay so if there should be no light visible to the water in the bucket to prevent algae growth. How do u go about checking water level? measuing ph? and adding nutes?

this system interests me but theres one thing i dont get .okay so if there should be no light visible to the water in the bucket to prevent algae growth. How do u go about checking water level? measuing ph? and adding nutes?
A extra hole in the lid with a flap closing it worked well for me. A old shop vac allowed nutrient changeouts. Don't have a old shop vac? Install a small fountain pump in the bottom and only use it to change out nutes.

thanks for replying u of great help to me since im a noob. ive been doin my research and i see alot of people taking pics and shooting videos of their DWC systems exposing their roots. does this mean that we can do for a short amount of time or its just risk taking? i also herd that turning on a loght with green bulb wont hurt plants during lights out. will it help in showing roots too?

Back
Top Bottom