What Happens To Roots In Flood And Drain? How To Move Plants?

Sweetgreen

For my first grow I thought I'd do DWC, but then I realized I can only fit 9 5gal buckets in my tent(4'x4'), but I have 10 seedlings so I have to rethink my veg setup. I think Ebb n' Flow (flood and drain) is the better option for veg. That way I can take out the males and then use DWC for flower.

But I'm kinda lost as to what happens to the roots as they grow out. Do they just float around? If I use hydroton and then place net pots on top, how do I prevent the roots from entwining all through the hydroton? I keep hearing everyone say how they are able to move their plants around with flood and drain, but I can't see how that's possible once the roots get big and long? Also then how do you move them into DWC for flower??

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I've read some guides yet I haven't read anything about what happens to the roots as they grow, or how to move plants around.

Thanks

For my first grow I thought I'd do DWC, but then I realized I can only fit 9 5gal buckets in my tent(4'x4'), but I have 10 seedlings so I have to rethink my veg setup. I think Ebb n' Flow (flood and drain) is the better option for veg. That way I can take out the males and then use DWC for flower.

But I'm kinda lost as to what happens to the roots as they grow out. Do they just float around? If I use hydroton and then place net pots on top, how do I prevent the roots from entwining all through the hydroton? I keep hearing everyone say how they are able to move their plants around with flood and drain, but I can't see how that's possible once the roots get big and long? Also then how do you move them into DWC for flower??

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I've read some guides yet I haven't read anything about what happens to the roots as they grow, or how to move plants around.

Thanks

Hey, these are some great questions.

*bump*

Hopefully we'll both get some answers here.

When the roots grow out and get tangled you may have to cut them to get them apart. This may slow their nutrient intake a bit, but the plant is just fine and they will continue to thrive.

It is much much much easier to just put the hydroton into your separate baskets and none into your tray.

Back
Top Bottom