Unusual growth

couchguy2000

Hello Everyone ,
attached a photo of one of my outdoor plants , both the same sativa strain unknown. One plant tall and with a great figure this one no less beautiful but shorter and much more bushy . This one has 4 large fan leaves at the top that cover no less than 8 off-shoots underneath . Im thinking of removing the 4 top fan leaves to expose the new growth underneath . My questions , is this wise to remove this much growth at the top of the plant 6 weeks into the grow ? Will topping the plant 4 inches down the main stem hurt the plant or just remove the leaves ? Or nothing at all ? Its weird 2 seeds from the same mother yet 2 plants that grow completely different. Thanks
20200705_090919.jpg

Nice robust plant!p, looking good!! While all the seeds in a pack may be related - they will not all produce identically plants. It’s different phenotypes. That looks to be an indica dominant strain not sativa. Indica wide fat leaves, sativa long skinny leaves

Topping an defol are 2 different things. Please don’t try both at the same time, you will probably stall the plant. Figure out a course of action,

topping will make it bush out so instead of 1 main stem there will be at least 2 main stems. That’s a big plant, it’s rather late to be topping, most top when plants are small like 5 pairs of nodes above cotyledons.

Defol will expose more budsites and open up plant for air & light.

Personally on a plant that big you might be wise to LST, she’s robust so its a no brainer, that ensures she doesn’t even hiccup. Lock in potential harvest without stalling plant, save topping & training experiments for next time. If you do LST then don’t try to do the full bend in one day, spread it out over several days time so you don’t snap the stem. If you do break stem then tape it up. Use garden wire with foam or coated with masking tape so you don’t cut into plant tissue.

But before you strap her down... is this your final container? What size bucket or bag? How long has plant been in same container? Are you feeding nutes? Do you need to upcan to a larger container before tying it down??

Soil grows need 5 to 6 gallons minimum container size (in my opinion) but bigger is better!! If you are happy with bucket size then tie her down slowly, here’s LST tutorial just in case InTheShed LST

Thanks for the great info , i have been using LST on my indoor plants to some success . I will try some careful coaxing on this outdoor one , i want to keep it short and bushy , all the plants 3 indoor 2 outside are in 5 gal , next time i go bigger . I will read your thread on LST , thank you again for some guidence

Thanks for the great info , i have been using LST on my indoor plants to some success . I will try some careful coaxing on this outdoor one , i want to keep it short and bushy , all the plants 3 indoor 2 outside are in 5 gal , next time i go bigger . I will read your thread on LST , thank you again for some guidence
You can top as much as youd like. I usually do it 3x in veg. This one here has gotten it twice. I'll do one more next week

Attachments

• 20200705_121455.jpg
    20200705_121455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom