When to defoliate

N420

I'm growing 4 plants In a 4x4 I'm 22 days into flower the plants are 10 week strains . the plants have stopped stretching and now look to be concentrated on bud growth . 2 of the plants are of the same strain are quite bushy and the lower bud sites are shaded by the fan leaves near the top. so I'm wondering is now the time to defoilate do I just remove the large fan leaves at the top of the canopy of do more then that. any help is appreciated

Major defoliations are best done during veg, but I continue to trim off the fan leaves (in flower) that 1) look less healthy and 2) block bud sites.

(It is helpful for me to look down on the plant (like the light would) to see those fan leaves that are blocking flowers)

is this something I will continue to do throughout the flower cycle or do it this one time and let it go after that

In my experience taking too many leaves during flowering stunts the plants growth. They need their solar factories, so I take leaves which are sitting on top of another leaf. (which creates a wet spot). Or shadowing a bud.

In a scrog I would bend them down below the net if possible to avoid cutting.

I try to stop a concentration of leaves in an area to avoid mould/mildew.

Throughout flowering I would remove any leaves which show damage, not straight the way but when it's more advanced and I don't like the look of it.

I'm at the same point of F21 and about to defol the very thick canopy I have, it's hard to get a clear vision reading a million different posts here about it. I think I'm going with about the same thinning out the insides overlapping layers and a better lower cleanup and leave whatever ones I can that aren't in the way. I did do a lot of defol in veg and it never even phased it so I'm hoping it'll be good.

@Rich 3033 when you say show any damage, if there are some that have some small tears from topping them and knicking the baby leaves (I think, or from tucking em maybe and the scrog screen). Otherwise looking pretty healthy as far as leave seem to go, Trim those out too and leave the fully good ones?

did a light defoilation tonight concentrating on the larger fan leaves that were covering bud sites and some of the lower stuff that I should have removed when I lollipoped before putting them into flower. I only did on 2 of the plants of the same strain that were the most bushy and left the other 2 that are a different strain that were less bushy . I hope it will give me somewhat of a comparison between defoilation or not
20190124_214614.jpg
20190124_214557.jpg

I defoliate a week before flower, and then keep defoliating all the way threw flower i put my hand under plant canopy in wave it around flat out in makesure im getting light penetrating threw the foliage and hitting in spots on my hand then just keep it cleared out and your good

@Rich 3033 when you say show any damage, if there are some that have some small tears from topping them and knicking the baby leaves (I think, or from tucking em maybe and the scrog screen). Otherwise looking pretty healthy as far as leave seem to go, Trim those out too and leave the fully good ones?[/QUOTE]

If there are small tears I wouldn't be that concerned. If it's ripped a bit and a finger is hanging off maybe I just pull that bit off.

What you need is airflow, so all your low down stuff below the scrog can go, and any leaves really blocking growth sites.

Back
Top Bottom