upside down plant?

ghostbud

Hi guys,
got a bit of a wierd one here i started 10 bluecheese plants from seed the seeds all germinated and went into soil all the seedlings came up except the 1st one to germinate so i dug it out and it was growing upside down with the folded cotyledens at the bottom and the root growing up the way the tip of the root looked funny as well it was rounded rather than pointed so i turned it round and left it, it stayed that way for around 3-4 weeks while the rest were growing away then it started putting on size now all the plants are harvested except this one which looks as though it still has over a month to go and is huge much bushier than the rest were with bud growing everywhere ???

hmmm well whateva you did it sounds like it worked in your benefit...

hmmm we'll be waiting on a smoke report :popcorn:

i've read of that happening right after germination, its rare but i've read about 5 people with the same problem on this site .... sounds like it worked out for ya

posted a couple of pics in the members gallery DSCF1007, DSCF1009 the buds are still piling on new growth and this is week 14 of its floral.

no i'm a true Scot from Glasgow just borrowing a couple of words from the cheese eating surrender monkeys from over the water.:rollit:

yes i'll be posting more pics dont know about a journal though need to see if i got the time us single parents dont have a lot of it.

Hi guys,
got a bit of a wierd one here i started 10 bluecheese plants from seed the seeds all germinated and went into soil all the seedlings came up except the 1st one to germinate so i dug it out and it was growing upside down with the folded cotyledens at the bottom and the root growing up the way the tip of the root looked funny as well it was rounded rather than pointed so i turned it round and left it, it stayed that way for around 3-4 weeks while the rest were growing away then it started putting on size now all the plants are harvested except this one which looks as though it still has over a month to go and is huge much bushier than the rest were with bud growing everywhere ???

POSSIBLE REASON - when you start off a plant like that and it fights to reach the sun you can often train the plant to grow harder, much along the same lines as bending a branch to force it to grow in one direction or another, in wine making they say the tortured vine bears the sweetest fruit, and for some reason when you SUPERCROP or break a branch on the vines the grapes around that area swell and grow much better ,.. often times it is due to the plants natural recovery system or ability to heal its own wounds. The plants will send more nutrients to that area to try to stimulate regrowth.

This is true in bud plants... I have found that when you top a plant early in shut down before flowers really start to grow on the main cola top(within the first week of shutdown) that you will create a wider and bushier plant which will take longer to finish out fully however will be fatter and often yield more.

I grew Swazberry (Sour D x Blueberry) and 3 of the 4 plants went off normal each yielding about 23-26 grams ... however the 1 that did not go off so normal ended up having the top attacked by spotted mites however I couldnt see any lower than about 2 inches from the top of the main cola that was starting to form. So I cut the mite ridden area off and the plant continued to form flowers. the final yield that came off was about 31 grams which is not a much larger however it still goes to show that when a plant has to fight to survive a little it makes a more robust and strong plant.

:rollit::rollit: pass the info along ...

I saw the photos, and if it still is putting on weight then let it FKing Grow, I would suggest letting it go until about 2 out of 5 of the trichomes are amber colored under 100x magnification if you let more of the trichomes turn amber before harvest the stone will be more of a couch lock.

Happy Toking :roorrip:

Hi, finally harvested this beast 3.5oz(97grams) of pure couchlock, i get what your saying about topping off and its effects on the plant, but what i want to find out is why this seed couldnt orientate itself, if it was just a matter of growing towards the light then this would never happen, so there must be some other factors and mechanisms at work i thought maybe the seed can sense and use magnetic fields to orientate itself much the same way birds use them to navigate, the reason i thought this was because they were started out in a bedroom and this seed was closest to a hi-fi speaker which when on generates its own small magnetic field, so i thought maybe this had an effect??? i'd be grateful if someone could come up with a definitive answer to this as if what i suspect has happened is right this is something that could be used in growing to the benefit of the grower. :roorrip:

Hi, finally harvested this beast 3.5oz(97grams) of pure couchlock, i get what your saying about topping off and its effects on the plant, but what i want to find out is why this seed couldnt orientate itself, if it was just a matter of growing towards the light then this would never happen, so there must be some other factors and mechanisms at work i thought maybe the seed can sense and use magnetic fields to orientate itself much the same way birds use them to navigate, the reason i thought this was because they were started out in a bedroom and this seed was closest to a hi-fi speaker which when on generates its own small magnetic field, so i thought maybe this had an effect??? i'd be grateful if someone could come up with a definitive answer to this as if what i suspect has happened is right this is something that could be used in growing to the benefit of the grower. :roorrip:

I dont know about that but I also have a grow going in a bathroom and I have noticed that when I was starting seeds that some of them were growing correctly and some were growing upside down, I dont have any real electronics around it so I dont know how viable that Idea is.

However I have seen what I think is a direction to these seeds. Some of my seeds have more of a formed point on one end and a rounded end on the other of the seed, much like a tear drop shape, if the rounded end is pointed up and the point is in the down direction most of the seeds sprouted correctly however when I put the seeds in with the tip up and the round down the seeds sprouted upside down and started to grow downwards, maybe its an orientation issue where the direction the seed sits when it sprouts.

Personally I use the old tried and true sprouting method, put a little CloneX on a damp paper towel in a line .. then roll the seeds in the CloneX and fold up the towel, put that in a ziplock in the window sill and blow into the bag to give it a tent effect.

after a day or two tops, in the window the seeds will have sprouted and will have about a 1/4 inch sprout from there you can see direciton and put them into the Grodan or Rockwool cubes.

:yummy:

Hi sorry for the delay getting back to you but i dont get online as much as i'd like , i germinate the seeds in tissue with water so they all open before they go into soil i plant them tail down so they should grow in the right direction but this one still turned itself and was dug out and re-done????????:peace:

Hmmm then that one is a stumper ... I usually see an issue like that if I try to sprout in rockwool or something like that usually when I sprout them they grow in the right direction....

But I Still think that any increase in size or yield is because the plant had to fight to start its life and so it takes on the fighting spirit and grows better.

Try on the next grow to put one near the supposed speaker and one alone if they have the same results then thats a tell that the magnetic field may not be the issue and it could have been a mutation in just that one seed.

But if the speaker does it again then you may be onto something. However if you can get them to restart upside down take one that was started at the same time and LOW STRESS the plant by tieing the branches down only a little bit, from there it will make a wider and bushier plant, lowstressin is one of my fav. things to do in late veg and early shut down because as you slowly tighten the ties on the branches you litterally watch the plant bend to your whim. thats how you can grow a christmas tree , which is what a lot try to do.

The Yield from low Stressing the plant will more than likely be greater than that of the UPSIDE DOWN seed if you can reproduce the effect, if not then I would say dont worry about it.

If you can however try the Low Stressed vs. Upside down and once that is done run an upside down low stressed vs normal low stressed and see where that gets you.

It may work out that the lowstressed upside down could be the best of both worlds both with hardy ness and bigger yield.

Back
Top Bottom