Using a timer with CFLs?

simondetroit

Some of the cfls I have seen say "Not for use with digital timers" on the packaging? Is this just a recommendation by the manufacturer or is there a different type of timer or ballast or bulb needed when running multiple cfl bulbs? For Veg I will be running 8 cfl's (2x4) in my box utilizing the "Y" type sockets. Should I just power these by plugging each set directly into a power strip? Or should I get a ballast to run them off of? Thanks Again!

I used a mechanical timer? the kind that has a dial that turns, with cfl's, I havent seen anything about digital timers although I just bought one and have not used it yet, all my cfl's only say not to use with dimmers, it dont seem that digital would matter as it is still just switching power on or off , seems like I seen another post related to this a few months back? there has to someone here with first hand knowledge.:smokin:

after some google search I found alot of info related to this, basically not to use a digital timer with cfl's, one report said the digital timers interfere with the ballast of the cfl, another said that there is still a small amount of electricity being passed through the digital timer not allowing the cfl to shut down completely , calling it a brown out, Swylite Corporation - Digital Wall Switch Timers this company says they have a digital cfl timer, not sure of the cost?

Yeah I used a digital timer with a 65 watt cfl and after 2 months the light would not come on full power. It came on but about half the brightness if that. I replaced the bulb but that didn't help. Mechanical ones are ok just not digital.

Shouldn't be a problem with just plugging into a power strip. I have used those in all my grows and had it filled to capacity at one point without a problem.

I think it depends on the timer itself....as we are using a digi time (but it's not one of the cheapo timers sold).....we have used it on CFL's for almost a yr now (4 grows) with 5 CFL bulbs and have only lost one bulb but that was due to it being broken by some stoner..

I wired all the light sockets together and use one plug into the timer...works like a charm....

Also it's a good idea to find a timer that uses a battery back up so if you have a power glitch it won't screw up your timer....

we've found it doesn't pay to skimp on control equipment...

SK-Slappy (the "other" ScooterClown)

good luck on your grow, I thought about CFLs but I went to buy a LED grow light so far 2 months in with nothing showing , but it seems like it's taking forever compared to the seeds you gotten from the buds you got from breaking up, I grew some big ones with my MH & a HPS bulb , the plants were bigger back then , doesn't look too promising with these new strains, seems to me they made them shorter & take longer for them to grow, that is my opinion , if anyone else feel the same?

good luck on your grow, I thought about CFLs but I went to buy a LED grow light so far 2 months in with nothing showing , but it seems like it's taking forever compared to the seeds you gotten from the buds you got from breaking up, I grew some big ones with my MH & a HPS bulb , the plants were bigger back then , doesn't look too promising with these new strains, seems to me they made them shorter & take longer for them to grow, that is my opinion , if anyone else feel the same?
Good morning @sshortguy1 hope you are well my friend.
That post is from 2009 that member is gone and won't answer you. :Namaste:
Top left corner has the date.

Stay safe
Bill

Back
Top Bottom