Using Infrared Heat Detectors

G-Dog

Infrared heat detectors are fun and interesting toys. I bought one from Sears for about $100.

When something malfunctions electrically or mechanically one of the products is heat. Early detection of heat can be very useful in predicting or correcting problems that could lead to breakdown or even fire.

The hand held device that I bought projects a laser light on the subject so you can focus your heat detection into a very specific area. I can point it on my car parts after a drive and see if heat is building up in a specific area to determine if I have a problem with brake parts or bearings. I can also point it at parts of a grow room where I suspect heat buildup to be a problem and possibly predict future fire hazards. The readout is digital and you could look at various places in a given time and see if a trend is developing.

A fact of copper (and pretty much all electrical conductors) is that the resistance increases with heat. What that means is that when a conductor gets hot, it's electrical resistance increases, which in turn makes it hotter and it's electrical resistance increases. Heat buildup can get worse and worse over time and that will speed up the natural breakdown of an insulator.

One thing an indoor grower can do without a heat detector is just feel with his or her hands the various places in the grow op up for heat buildup. However, with a digital infrared heat detector you can monitor a trend.

It is important for a grower to monitor his or her equipment regularly. Starting off with equipment that is robust and over sized is a good idea. Most of the products offered to residential customers are rated for intermittent use. Someone that uses a cord for a large load (HID Lighting, Air Conditioning) has to be aware that there is a difference between continuous or intermittent use. A 15 amp circuit in your home is rated for a peak amperage of 15 amps, not continuous. A good rule of thumb is not to exceed 80% of the circuit rating. Continuous loads close to the peak speed up the natural break down of the insulation of the breaker and the wiring. Because the wiring is behind sheet rock (usually) you cannot see these effects until it is too late. With an infrared heat detector you can go to walls, circuit breakers, electrical connections etc and note any noticeable increases in heat.

Wiring that is grouped together does not dissipate heat as well as wiring that is routed alone in singular runs allowing more air circulation. Wiring that is bound or wrapped tight around corners will propagate heat. These are things that engineers and electricians are aware of, but maybe not all diy grow room designers.

I feel that for our community to have the respect of the rest of the world we have a responsibility to be safer than the mainstream. Someone that catches an apartment on fire because of a grow operation is some of worst kind of press we can have.

I will always be available on a thread that I monitor or PM to help you maintain a safe grow operation.

Infrared heat detectors are fun and interesting toys. I bought one from Sears for about $100.

Probably the same model that I got. Yeah, they're very handy.

Just keep in mind:

[/quote]The hand held device that I bought projects a laser light on the subject so you can focus your heat detection into a very specific area.[/quote]

The laser is a targeting aid, it is not actually what takes the measurement. IOW, there's an IR sensor that dies the actual measuring. And the "sweet spot" of the measurement increases in size over distance. NBD for doing general measurements, but it is good to remember. The device should have the specification and a little diagram on its side (or at least in the manual) that states what the ratio of distance:target is. Most consumer-level (<$600 or so) IR thermometers have a ratio in the neighborhood of 10:1 - 13:1.

Rough examples: If you're using it to check general temperatures of your roof at night, you could walk along the eaves and shoot the roof. But if you're looking to see if there are any unusual hot-spots, you'd want to go over the roof at a much closer range.

Keeping that in mind, yeah, useful tool.

Yeah the laser beam is just to point it towards the right spot and not the sensing area. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have been able to measure bearing temperatures and other things. The closer you are the better.

The difference in using one of these instead of just your hand to feel a hot spot is once you find a hot spot you have a digital readout. You can check that spot often and develop a trend analysis. If you see a spot getting hotter and it is proven with this device, you can predict a mishap.

Back
Top Bottom