UV and IR LED diodes in a grow light?

zeroday

Hi folks. I was looking at the latest lights out there and have seen that some folks are using the Samsung LM301H boards, but with added far red (660nm) diodes. Now I see that they are adding 16x UV and 16x IR diodes.

Anyone know why the addition of the UV/IR diodes?

The short answer is because their customers asked for them. Adding UV and IR, made their customers happy, and gives them something else to advertise, setting them apart from the competition.

IMO UV and IR do have a place in the grow room, but not as a part of the main light cycle. Two hours of UV during the middle of the day helps increase yield, and 20 - 30 min of deep red, far red, and IR just before the lights go out helps put the plant to sleep. There are other benefits, but these the leading reasons for having them in the grow room.

It's possible. There's studies occurring, co-ordinated by a university professor at Apogee, the makers of quantum sensors, to find out. Apogee has several videos on their website dealing with light for cannabis. That's probably the most authoritative source available. GrowMau5 has done work on this as well. His YouTube channel has the details.

Yes the goal is to offer a more complete spectrum light that benefits your grow.

Some say to run for short periods of time others say look at the sun. We tested and found the benefit comes when you blend it properly with other areas of the spectrum. It wasn't customers telling us to do it or for advertisement. It was strictly to make the best grow light we could. If it was a waste of effort, we wouldn't have done it. UV in a board operating at the level we made it wasn't easy blended with the 730nm and 660nm to get the final spectrum just right / with the power levels.

We have 20 other designs we scrapped because it didn't work as anticipated or is being held on to for future projects. Our Full Spec heatsink free design is a great example.

Oops, meant to post to another thread!

That said... yes, the addition of IR and UV is just to complete the spectrum and to try to match the sun's output as much as possible. Far red is really good in flower, I even use 660nm supplemental panels for my autos in my veg tent. That, paired with the IR will give the Emerson Effect. I also run a UV Supplement every day as well

20240102_200403.jpg

20240102_200346.jpg

Yes the goal is to offer a more complete spectrum light that benefits your grow.

Some say to run for short periods of time others say look at the sun. We tested and found the benefit comes when you blend it properly with other areas of the spectrum. It wasn't customers telling us to do it or for advertisement. It was strictly to make the best grow light we could. If it was a waste of effort, we wouldn't have done it. UV in a board operating at the level we made it wasn't easy blended with the 730nm and 660nm to get the final spectrum just right / with the power levels.

We have 20 other designs we scrapped because it didn't work as anticipated or is being held on to for future projects. Our Full Spec heatsink free design is a great example.
What wavelengths of UV are you providing?

Back
Top Bottom