240W lm301h upgraded to 240W lm301h with UV, IR, CREE 660nm

BigDannel

I just got a new light today, a 240W dual QB-style light with dimmable Meanwell driver. I've been using pretty much the exact same setup for the past 3 months, minus the UV, IR and 660nm diodes so it will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable differences.

The previous light was 3500K and the new one is 3000K. I plan on using the 3500K in the new veg tent I got, with the 3000K in the flower. The plants have been doing amazing so far, I'll be flipping to flower very soon. I'll be sure to report back either way, but I had been wondering about the benefits of UV/IR/red so stay tuned! :popcorn:

I’m running similar lights, I have a mix of 3000/3500k lm301h, far-red/ir (660 & 730nm), and uv (395nm). My 660nm run with the lm301h’s, no separate switch, and the 730nm ir’s and uv’s each have their own switches. Next week I’ll be hitting 12/12 and flipping the switch on both the far-red ir and uv for trichomes and terpenoids. I have zero to compare it to since all my other grows back in the day we’re done outdoors, minus the seedling stage that was done under T5s.

Dude, I have so much to learn! Great thread.

The info on my light just says uv and IR. I think that is either the white light or incorporated into the red on mine. It made for some frosty autos but I'm too new to say on this light.

Yeah there is a lot of good research out there about the effects of far-red/ir and uv wavelengths on photosynthesis, trichome, terpenoid, and resin production. This is why HPS and MH can still blow the majority of LEDs out of the water, they’ve always had ir and uv spectrums, where as a lot of LEDs until recently only dealt in the visible light spectrum.

There is a lot of debate on how effective these diodes actually are due to their size and very limited quantities on boards. Some people will go as far as arguing that the power draw of a few ir and uv LEDs from the overall board is more detrimental than leaving them off and just sticking with the 301’s the whole grow because of the few watts the ir and uv pull go to better use powering the 301’s.

I’d actually be really curious as to what the LED sponsors around here would have to say about this subject. Are we to the point in technology where we have ir and uv diodes that are effective or is it just a waste? We know that ir and uv is beneficial to plant growth and production of “the good stuff” but do the diodes available on the market actually provide enough “juice” to see differences or is it just another hobby grower marketing ploy that’s rampant in the industry. I mean who really needs a dozen plus bottles of nutrients? You can’t tell me that’s not a ploy to get you to spend more, I don’t think you see commercial growers going that route. When in doubt look to what the commercial people are doing. They know what’s worth investing in to see profitable returns, good chance of they aren’t doing it, it’s not worth you doing it, it’s probably just another company trying to make a buck selling snake oil.

Yeah there is a lot of good research out there about the effects of far-red/ir and uv wavelengths on photosynthesis, trichome, terpenoid, and resin production. This is why HPS and MH can still blow the majority of LEDs out of the water, they’ve always had ir and uv spectrums, where as a lot of LEDs until recently only dealt in the visible light spectrum.

There is a lot of debate on how effective these diodes actually are due to their size and very limited quantities on boards. Some people will go as far as arguing that the power draw of a few ir and uv LEDs from the overall board is more detrimental than leaving them off and just sticking with the 301’s the whole grow because of the few watts the ir and uv pull go to better use powering the 301’s.

I’d actually be really curious as to what the LED sponsors around here would have to say about this subject. Are we to the point in technology where we have ir and uv diodes that are effective or is it just a waste? We know that ir and uv is beneficial to plant growth and production of “the good stuff” but do the diodes available on the market actually provide enough “juice” to see differences or is it just another hobby grower marketing ploy that’s rampant in the industry. I mean who really needs a dozen plus bottles of nutrients? You can’t tell me that’s not a ploy to get you to spend more, I don’t think you see commercial growers going that route. When in doubt look to what the commercial people are doing. They know what’s worth investing in to see profitable returns, good chance of they aren’t doing it, it’s not worth you doing it, it’s probably just another company trying to make a buck selling snake oil.

Tell me about it. The light I bought first was on black friday and is the kind xl750. Claims uv and IR. It also has adjustable spectrum and an internal timer for each. At the same time I don't believe my Mars light has any of those but was so much cheaper and may be my favorite light.

Stoned rambling.

Well, I like the idea since I have 3 that are very similar. I'm not super scientific but I really wonder sometimes if what I paid was worth it and I got like 40% off the kind. This should be a decent test.

@BigDannel I hope all is well. Based on this discussion I turned up my red and white spectrum which include the UV and IR diodes and turned off the blue. Before I just reduced all to maybe 60% for heat as it is just a supplement at the moment. Anyways, I will keep an eye on that area compared to the others and see if I notice a difference.

20200623_183406.jpg

Yeah man, I like the idea of it for sure.What do you got in mind for the DIY
Started a thread in lighting here. Want to build something with full spectrum, switchable from veg to flower, dimmable, red, Fred, etc. All on suggestions and advice from all you smart people. I want to use extruded aluminum and do a spine frame type. I up for ideas and suggestions. :)

Back
Top Bottom