UV light in hydroponics

Jtotheroc

420 Member
Hello fellow growers :ganjamon:
I'm going to be setting up a DWC with 2- 5g pails. Both are going to be on their own circulation. Has anybody used UV light for sterilization either in the pail itself with the plant or inline on the outside??

Sterilization of a reservoir with UV is an interesting concept. Having used similar for aquatic hobbies, it seems like it could be decent in theory. It would have to be in a reservoir (no light on the roots), and I'm not sure to the extent it would influence temperature in a hydroponic system. It may be negligible, it may be a few degrees.

It wouldn't be a stand-alone option though, IMO. It would do find against pathogens and such, but probably not so much against bacteria within the root structure.

Now on the topside: yes. Both UVA and UVB can be beneficial in growing. You need to be very careful with UVB, but you will find most grow lighting spectrums will have inclusion down into the UVA spectrum range.

Sterilization of a reservoir with UV is an interesting concept. Having used similar for aquatic hobbies, it seems like it could be decent in theory. It would have to be in a reservoir (no light on the roots), and I'm not sure to the extent it would influence temperature in a hydroponic system. It may be negligible, it may be a few degrees.

It wouldn't be a stand-alone option though, IMO. It would do find against pathogens and such, but probably not so much against bacteria within the root structure.

Now on the topside: yes. Both UVA and UVB can be beneficial in growing. You need to be very careful with UVB, but you will find most grow lighting spectrums will have inclusion down into the UVA spectrum range.
In the soil I applied bacillus to counter act all that. UVB was monitored very closely. I don’t think I killed much of the bacillus as the plant just thrived through the whole experiment. Then I topped anther with butter and it topped at 13 days old and never stopped growing. I found a new method for me if anything.

Hey thanks for that tid bit. I was reading that UV light is both beneficial and possibly negative (no further studies) to both good and bad bacterial cultures. I'm going to be running a small water fountain pump (350/lph) through both a computer cooling unit(radiator with a fan) and a UV light all controlled by a temperature controller. So in theory the UV light will only power on when the temperature drops below the set limit so that should keep the heat at bay unless it's running more than in hoping

Hey thanks for that tid bit. I was reading that UV light is both beneficial and possibly negative (no further studies) to both good and bad bacterial cultures. I'm going to be running a small water fountain pump (350/lph) through both a computer cooling unit(radiator with a fan) and a UV light all controlled by a temperature controller. So in theory the UV light will only power on when the temperature drops below the set limit so that should keep the heat at bay unless it's running more than in hoping
If it’s UVB it’s the exposure you want to be careful of, small doses, that hour treatment brought it to near cell degeneration. I wasn’t going to expose again until flower, but even then it was gonna a 15 minute burst 1 x a week.

I guess moderation it the key to everything. Ya maybe I'll just hook the light up separately and cycle it manually. Just like a baby with there immune system. Build it up gradually

In the soil I applied bacillus to counter act all that. UVB was monitored very closely. I don’t think I killed much of the bacillus as the plant just thrived through the whole experiment. Then I topped anther with butter and it topped at 13 days old and never stopped growing. I found a new method for me if anything.

so this is the second time i've read the phrase " topped with butter" the first time i just assumed it was some kind of spelling mistake and my mouth watered a bit. but now i'm gonna need someone to explain wtf this means :laugh:

so this is the second time i've read the phrase " topped with butter" the first time i just assumed it was some kind of spelling mistake and my mouth watered a bit. but now i'm gonna need someone to explain wtf this means :laugh:
I topped a plant with butter. Based on a theory after working with the dirt. If you low stress. Make the plan choose
To top itself which it did, it would go into dormancy, which it didn’t, not wasting your preacous light. Also I can now make
Sculptors out
If the things. I know it’s crazy sounding. But IT WORKED

Back
Top Bottom