Veg & flower plants in the same room? Question on lighting - Please help!

soul420

Hello...i got plants in both cycles (veg n flower) in the same room...the light cycle is on for 24hrs with a 400w hps...would it be smart to switch the bulb to a mh when i take the flowering plants out thus giving my plants in veg mode 12 hrs of mh light and 12 hrs of hps light? can the plants go into shock from constant changing of the bulbs?

Re: veg n flower plants in the same room? question on lighting,please help!

If you have flowering plants they need to be in 12/12 unless they are auto flowering plants as for the light question im not sure exactly what you are trying to do if you are trying to go 12/12 it should be 12hrs of light from whatever light you choose and then a 12 hr dark period

Hi Cmitch, first off thanks for responding...now, let me explain.. my problem is that when i take my flowering plants out of the room and put them in the darkness, i still have plants that are in the room that are in veg. mode that are under a hps light...would it hurt the plants if i were to change the bulb to an mh bulb for 12 hrs, then switching it back to a hps light when the flowering plants are put back in , giving the plants in veg mode 12hrs of hps light and 12 hrs of mh light...i hope ive made myself alittle more clear...just worried that the changing of light every 12 hrs will hurt my plants that are in veg state...

i only have 1 light and two bulbs

re: Veg & flower plants in the same room? Question on lighting - Please help!

You have to either
A.) veg in your room then send them all to flower which then you would switch to the HPS. or
B.) you divide that room up into 2 spaces. 1 space for veg so those lights can stay on for 18 to 24 hours. then the other space for flowering at the 12/12 mark

but with only 1 light you dont have many options. Veg them all then flower them all. then start over.

but you cant do both in one room will mess your plants up. :peacetwo:

I think what Soul is saying is that he physically removes the flowering plants out of the room where the light is located and places them in the dark for twelve hours. Then carries them back into the room where the light is and leaves them there for twelve hours, rinse and repeat.
If so, your answer is this: Vegging plants will do better under MH, but HPS can be used to veg. Flowering plants will do better with HPS, and to me, bud development would be more important than vegging. So while the flowering plants are IN the lighted room, use the HPS bulb. When the flowering plants are OUT of the room, switch the bulb to MH.

So what you are saying is...let the ones in veg suffer while he perfect the one that is flowering...well the veg plant won't get to her full potencial and neither will the buds...just my thoughts...
The flowering plants should not suffer under HPS in 12/12? Why would they? But yes I agree there could be suffering on the part of the vegging plants. To what extent I'm not sure. I've read mixed lighting spectrums can produce all sorts of anomolies, even hermies, but I can't speak from experience. This is not the ideal way to grow, but if I had to sacrifice something, it would be the growth of the vegging plants until either they were ready for flowering, or the buds were done. If we knew how established the vegging plants were, it would be much easier to determine if going 12/12 on all now, would be the best way to go.

Just save the effort of moving multiple plants & switching bulbs every 12 hours ! Invest in another hood & ballast

Shit even a cheap adjust-a-wing hood will let you run the other bulb for the mixed spectrum your searching for.

A HPS & MH both have their pros & cons, if you can only run one, personally I would go with what budbro is saying & use the HPS. Then switch to MH when ONLY the Vegging plants remain in the grow room !

MH is intended for veg producing strong structural support system, like strong stems & helps promote all growth.

HPS is intended for flowering producing dense, heavy, potent buds. Plants tend to stretch more if they are Vegged under a HPS compared to a MH. Plus HPS puts out more lumens per watt so if you decide to use only one bulb, make it the hps

even under mixed spectrons....which i grow under...veg should more blue light than red..the opposite applies to flowering..more red light than blue.....depending on where he is he could put the flowering plant outside...let nature control the light...

Thanks u guys...appreciate all your input...i think im gonna keep switching the bulbs every 12 hrs until i build a proper flowering room...and invest in another hood and ballast, thanks again

I'm sorry...u can't veg and flower in the same room anyway...because of the difference in time..12/12 for flowering...over 12 for veg...

That's where I get lost!!!

I did my first grow in November of 2016. The thing is i used the same room for veg and flowering. But i was growing them all at the same time. Anyways, waited for them to flower after i changed the light cycles into 12/12 almost 1 month and nothing happen until i put them outside. Just in a few weeks i saw the 'girls' outside giving buds while the ones inside the house were giving nothing. I was using the same 400HPS lights in veg and flower and used the flower nutrients.

What may have happened?

Thanks for further help,
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom