Ventilation routing for smell

Ramones123

Ok, so much like a lot of others on here, I'm a beginner. I've had some gardening experience in the past (actual landscaping/hobby) but nothing as technical as this lol. I have a nice size grow space that I've made. I have a germination area that can be used as a starting room, I have a flowering area (soil) and I just got 2 bubble boy hydrobubble/ponic for a different approach. The germination section is enclosed with a hanging light with no fan, but does have some venting. This is kind of a new setup that is in progress (been focusing more on the setup recently) and I'm thinking of putting a small fan inside this area. The flowering area is about 5 feet wide, 5 feet long and goes up to about 7 feet high. It is enclosed and has a window. I put it by the window because I have a in/out fan installed in the window (the ones you can get from walmart). I made my own ventilation setup with some duct work to circulate the air. With the OUT duct work blowing outside I custom made a carbon filter (plant is in week 2 of flowering stage and can kinda smell it outside). This started to worry me a little bc I don't want anyone to get a whiff of of it, so I bought a carbon filter from htgsupply. What I am having diffuclty with is how to incorporate this new carbon filter with the flowering stage room & the other room. The other room is a custom made room that is on wheels. It measures 5 ft long x 4 feet wide x 5 ft high. I have 4 bar t5 light that wI'll go inside of it. Is there any way to use this carbon filter (such as an in-line setup) that will work? I have done some research on setups, and would rather keep all of the circulating air inside the outside barn (it's. A 16x12x12 shed). Reason is so I don't have any nosy neighbors hassling me. Would this work? Maybe block off the window unit in the flowering room, buy a "Y" duct thing, and connect both rooms to focus the OUT air into an in-line duct blower motor, in which will push the air into the carbon filter (releasing the air inside the shed). I will of course have to have an IN air setup that will allow air into the separate rooms, this is where my other in-line duct blower would work. It would be easier to draw a picture of my plans, and I might do that here in a little bit to post. The 2 rooms are air right currently (thanks to insulation board and foam). Does anyone else have their setup contained inside? If so, does it work well with a carbon filter to reduce the smell inside?

Brand new to the board and I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.
A little about me:
USMC vet that got sick of the pills from the lovely VA and tried some canna one day to find out that it makes me a totally different person (that's a good thing lol), and now my significant other doesn't have to walk on egg shells around me. She is all for it. Keeps me calm, and ultimately helps me sleep (had really bad insomnia/ nightmares). Oh and the best part, helped me kick my alcohol problems. Don't even crave it anymore.

I am not the expert, the learning mode is still ongoing, but I would rather pull air through a carbon filter as opposed to pushing it through a filter. My grow is happening in my basement under my stairs. I am pulling in fresh air from the basement, and I am blowing air from the room back into the basement. I have noticed that my plants are starting to smell, they are 1 month today. With my carbon in place I have no smell coming from my room. I will smoke in my room just because of the carbon filter.

Now, its hard for me to picture your setup. When you say in-out fan do you mean a window fan? You flip a switch and it goes from intake to exhaust? The 1st line of defense for smell is to make sure that all air coming from your room is scrubbed before it goes outside. I had a neighbor grow a plant outside awhile back, the veg plant alone made quite a stink. Indoors, depending on how large your plant is, you might be able to get away without scrubbing through carbon during veg, but with flower that would be mandatory. Look, best bet would be to have 2 inlines (1 in each room) connected to carbon and blowing outside. I wouldn't worry about any sound aspect for nosy neighbors. I hooked up insulated ducting to my inline so the sound would be cut down in my basement. I hardly hear my fan or the air it kicks out. You can stand in my laundry room, which is adjacent to my grow, and not even know I have shit going down.

Back
Top Bottom