Very weird cross pollination happened - please comment!

rjcru

IMAG006820.jpg
I'm a first time grower taking my 5 plants to bud.I planted them in pots and put them in our garden amongst the rest of our plants and veggies.I have taken great care in watering and fertilizing them.Now they are into bud stage so i am keeping a very close watch on them.The rest of our garden is coming to an end with the weather an light changes.I have been clipping my jalapenos over the past month and drying them to use as a spice.Yesterday as i was checking my jalapenos for more to clip off i discovered something VERY strange.One complete side of a jalapeno plant has produced what appears to be MJ buds all over it. I took some pictures to our local grow store and they were as surprised as i was,but confirmed they do indeed appear to be mj buds.They recommend i take all my pepers off and kill the plant.
Has anyone else had this happen??? Please give me some advise as i would love to keep the pepper plant going to see what happens,but not if its going to affect my other 5 mj plants.
IMAG006111.jpg
IMAG00609.jpg
IMAG005811.jpg
IMAG005912.jpg
IMAG007219.jpg

Attaching pics ASAP

Re: Very weird cross pollination happened,please comment!

Wow!! I need to try this! I want my stuffed peppers to really put a smile on my face. I wouldn't kill it unless you see it go hermi (if it's possible to tell). Just dig it up carefully and put it in a pot. You can move it away from your other plants and watch what happens. If nothing else, just so you can document the changes on here.

Very cool man. Very cool indeed.

Your pepper plant is producing male sex cells ( it went to seed ) it has been pollinated by another pepper plant.
I'm sorry to tell you that your hypothesis is impossible. The two types of plants are too genetically distant for this to occur. Note that cannabis is part of the plant family Cannabaceae, while pepper plants are Solanaceae. They are from completely different familes. You have a better chance to cross-pollinate a pepper plant with a tomato plant ( since tomato is part of Solanaceae).

A lot of angiosperms produce buds that can look like cannabis bud. Including your plant, mint, and many others.
However your pictures we're neat.

Well atleast now I know that it won't affect my MJ plants.Thanks so much for replying...I tried to find info on the pepper plant buds on the net but couldn't find anything!
Thanks again

That sucks. Would have been cool. It does look like little buds though.

That sucks. Would have been cool. It does look like little buds though.

I agree...I still can't find anything on the web to show me jalapeno buds! Still not convinced something weird has happened.I,m going to search more

Just doing a quick search I couldn't find any jalapeno peppers doing that. Having grown them multiple times myself, I have never seen one do that in my own garden either. The flowers on the jalapeno plants are self pollinating. Also the seeds are to be found in the fruit (pepper) and not growing randomly on the plant (going to seed). So if you are really trying to say his plant went to seed, can you please post something that defends or backs up your statement?

Taking on hermaphroditic characteristics, producing abundant male flowers in a last ditch effort to re-veg, and survive the winter. This is common for big bushy, healthy plants, and where the weather doesn't get too cold in the winter. It could be rare to see these flowers, which can be seen in the garden. I've had an onion flower, and stay in its flowered state for a constant 12 months. Plants do interesting things, this may be a rare case. But I can tell you for a fact that the flowers on this jalapeno plant have nothing to do, and never will have anything to do with cannabis. Other than it has a bud-like structure, which is a very common thing for budding plants.

What youve got there is two diffrent plants, you should put your hand among its stalk and run it to the base. The visual giveaway is the color, shape, and texture of the leaves in the patterns among its stalk. Iam from north carolina, personally grow bannana, bell,chile, jalapeno's and habenaro peppers. that weed growing up into your jalapeno's is just another headache. that flower on it will produce seed then make many more of them. But yea, its common in our climate zone. Better find a weedin hoe buddy.

Not sure I'd smoke it ....... would probably burn like hell ...... LOL

it does look like 2 plants note the shiny flat leaf of the pepper as compared to the dull ruffled leaves around the bud. the bud and ruffled leaves remind me of catnip but the leaves don't look quite right so maybe another member of the mint family is growing with your pepper plant

Yes, it most certainly does look like 2 seperate plants......leaves are different in several ways, e.g., veins are spaced differently; pepper plant leaves are smooth, narrow and shiney, while the mint leaves are rough, fatter and dull looking......

Back
Top Bottom