Water to the 2nd floor? Reverse Osmosis!!

joshuuaa

How you doing friends, im building a growroom on the 2nd floor in our house, the kitchen and bathroom etc are all on the first floor, I have bought a Reverse Osmosis system and trying to figure out do i just drill wholes from the basement run a garden house through the floors and up to the second floor "unpractical"and hook my RO up to the hose "if possible" on the second floor or do i hook the R0 up in the base ment or what would you guys do or have down to get water to the house where you need it, Im stumped :hookah:

i got u dude.
first you are gonna want to pick up and needle valve for the 1/4" ro inlet hose. this valve fits over an existing copper pipe or expansion riser. run the inlet line up to the ro unit. if u gotta go through walls- well that sucks especially from the lower level. i would run the line thru a ducting vent to the water source. also if the water source happens to be on the second level the u can follow base boards or go thru the corners of walls to the grow room. which ever waty you choose the waste water line will be right next to the inlet line. you may have to get a second needle valve for the waste water but its the same hookup as the inlet. clamp it on the pipe and turn the pin untill u break pipe surface. just make sure that the waste water needle valve is on a dran pipe not one that is used for the inlet line as that one is under pressure. hope this helps

Thanks for getting back guy, do you mean in the basement pierce with the needle valve into a "cold water" copper pipe, lets say the one that runs outside to the outside spicket? and then run the hose up to the upstairs anyway possible to the RO unit?

ok guy here u go you have the in side of the ro duckee is right on the needle valve so you can get water u should think about waste water on the out side i have mine right next to my washer the waste line can go right down the drain for your washer and run the good water that is going up for your grow . but what i do is i have my ro unit right next to my washer and when i make water i use my waste water to fill my washer up or just let it go down the drain that my washer uses my out line just gos into a bucket that has a float valve so when it get's full it shut's off i have a good size grow and i don't mind luging a 5 gallon bucket it's not that bad

for sure. just be careful of bends in the lines. if that shit is in the walls and its kinked you gotta start over. yeah cold water is prefered. depending on where you live water pressures can be 35-40psi which depending on the gpd rate can be enough to get it flowing and it will work for sure. otherwise if the flow is weak its because the run is too long and vertical none the less. you would need a booster pump and i would go with a flojet pump thats rated at 50psi.

curious what kind of RO system did you get? one for kitchen sink with a resivor? just curious I need to purchase one soon.. how many stages did you go with?

I think DUCKEE 1 or stedfast82 is right on the money with it all, me i ordered a 3 stage cheapo one of ebay, hope i didnt make a mistake, im an outside grower coming inside this year so its all pretty new to me, especially a RO setup, think i lost 12 points of my IQ just opening the box, It would be a good 50 ft run of tubing give or take to make it to the 2nd floor, so im going to look into that pump you mentioned DUCKEE 1, if all else fails and cant make it work ill be lugging the old 5 gallons up the stairs a couple times a week like old stedfast does, quick question like said im going to try to get the water to the growroom thou Duckee 1, when i go to buy the needle valve would i just run a hose 1/4" like the RO systems up to the second floor to the RO, can i find a needle valve that small to run a hose like that?

yeah your good with the 1/4 valve. check out a local hardware store or home depot if in usa. if you get stumped ask one of the workers and tell them what your tryin to do ( dont tell them too much) just say ur runnin ro up to the second floor and compression fittings with 2 needle valves. i have been doin this shit for a good part of a decade and i got all kinds of neat shit but I am not too proud to haul some buckets. whatever you do just make it the most pratical for you.

hey man i just tried to send you a Pm to thank you for taking the time, this system wouldnt let me, maybe im too new on the sight! As said thank you for taking the time cool and very helpful.. if i have anymore questions about it ill be sure to try to get ahold of you again if thats ok :bravo: lol best smile face icon they gave me bud

not to jack the thread but i seen RO system that says aquarium.. whats the difference on that and ro to drink ro for plants?? isnt a ro system to lower the hardness (ppm) in the water??

duckee1... 200gpd 6 stage!! does it come with a resivor? do you use it to drink also or just for plants? i was looking at the 200gpd but they dont come with resivors.. i was thinking of using it for plants and hooking up to the fridge for ice and water.. but hows the pressure if i do this??

I got like 20 ish old milk gallons full of RO water... i got a 75gpd sink ro system slow as SH#T!!!! so i fill up about 2-5 gallons run it down to the basement so it sucks filling up water..

get the aquarium style it comes with a DI (de ionizer) filter. that is what will give you a final ppm/ec of 0. if you want to upgrade ur gpd. buy a larger gpd ro membrain and also a higher flow control on the waste water line. yeah i use mine to drink too but only declorinated ro, not the di because its been said that di water will absorbe all the minerals in your body . there is alot of contraversy over benifits or di or mineral water. if yours is still at a trickel then u need a booster pump. also look into a storage tank they can come in 6 gallon but it will be pressurized

I have a 5 stage unit. Brings the water down to 7 or 8 ppm. Cost about 200 bucks.
It has a pressure tank that will hold about two and half gallons. After that is used up the flow drops to a trickle.
The unit claims 100 gallons a day. My water pressure must be low because it will only produce about half that.
Thats plenty for my needs. It takes most of the day to fill a 25 gal trash can.

I just wanted to add that if you tie your waste line directly to drain/sewer pipes to make sure you have a trap so sewer gas doesn't escape thru RO unit.

if he got an auto shut-off valve to go on the inline to the ro membrain and waste line. let s say for example mine. its attached to a float valve in a master res which holds 50gallons. this is clean water supplied by the RO+DI+UV unit. In that 1st 50gallon res is a float valve. in the 2nd res which holds another 50 gallons is an electric float valve which powers on/off a supply pump (1050gph) in this res is where i mix and make adjustments to the fert values, which is generally at 1/2 strength. this second unit supply a top-off to the main res. in my case it happens to be a Under Current DWC, and all plant sites are 6.5gallons including the main. the reason for the auto shut-off valve is to detect a resistance in flow signaled by the float valve in res 1. higher the valve goes, the more resistance in flow. this shuts-off the valve and inlet line to the RO membrain and then waste water. No in...No out. gases cannot build to a point of concern in contaminating RO or the unit as a whole. when the flow resumes any gasses are discharged. it sounds like your blowing out a garden hose. then a stream appears until your system is a peak . .................. lol, sorry for all the run-on's i like to be clear.

hey duckee with a 200gpd system do you think you need a tank if you use it for drinking also? will it filter fast enough to cover drinking water/ice making, if your not using it for the resivor?

its really your choice. if u are gonna use it for both i would suggest a storage tank on the drinking side/ice making side for the sole reason of time consumption. a 200gpd will supply your ice maker or water tap with enough flow, but with a storage tank it will fill very quick.

i have 1 unit and its spliced at 4points to delivery all with shutoff valves. 1grow room- 2bathroom- 3kitchen- 4flushing/mixing station
what all these have in common is valves and storage tanks. each tank is 6gallons. each remain ready for at most 6gallons at all times.

BUT for a setup like mine you will have to have a booster pump thats selp priming. (HIGH PRESSURE PUMP)

Hey Duckee 1, i just looked into one of those flojet pumps you recommended, it seems that they only come in 12 v, how would i or we use such a pump, like hook it to a car battery when i need water? suck it up from the basement kind of thing? in which i just ordered 100 ft "wont need all" 1/4 tubing and a self piercing needle valve, seems like there should be a 110v out there some wheres where i could just plug it into the wall no?

Im thinking you might have the same pump or now someone that does, im not a electrical fella what so ever, the splicing part wont be a problem, im just curious have you tried this or know someone that has, to hook a 110v to a 12v appliance?

Back
Top Bottom