Watering amount

tomatofarmer

Welcome, I have 3 plants they are 49 days old and 1 week into 12/12. I water them about 2 times a week and give each about 4cups of water/Fert mix to each plant. There is top runoff but nothing drips through to the pan. They are about 30 inch tall indicas from bag seeds in soil. They are in 4 1/2 gallon pots. The ladies are looking great and growing fast. My question is how much should i feed them? I know this is a very personalized question giving everyone grows differently and what not but im wondering if i should feed more keep it the same or whatever. Just looking to see what other people feed there plants.
Any responses appreciated.

The amount of food to give your plant is dependent on the size of the plant, health, and overall ability for it to metabolize large amounts of it. If it not such a large, and vigorous plant, it will be harder for it to deal with an abundance of chemicals. Better to start off using less, and working your way up to a larger dose once you know it can handle it.

You should water when the first 1-2 inches of the top soil are completely dry. My plants were in 5 gallon pots, and every time I would water I would put atleast 5 gallons, in order to see water coming out of the bottom of the pot (drainage), then you will know the bottom roots are taking in the water. Sometimes if the soil is packed too dense, it will not efficiently drain well, and more water may be needed to penetrate the density of it.

The point is to listen to your plant, and feel how it feels, it will speak to you and tell you it needs to eat or drink.

PS. Obviously you should be using a bloom-fertilizer ( IE: 2-8-4 ratio of NPK) Phosphorous will help the plant draw energy from the leaves, and into the swelling buds.

Best of Luck, and Happy Growin!:420:

Well, if you want to know about what I do and my opinions, then okay. Considering my plants did not start flowering until about 6 feet tall, they obviously needed a lot of water and nutrients. I fed heavily once a week, and watered 2-3 times a week ( considering the 100 degree heat ). I would water with atleast 5 gallons of hard water everytime. If you as a human, or even your plant purely consumes distilled water, they are being robbed of many vital nutrients, and ions which are important for many different functions.

Just learn to understand how you plant feels, and understand its needs, wait for it to tell you its thirsty.. And if whatever "Hydroponic organic fertz" you have, it would be good to know the dominant ratio of chemicals within it. There would be no reason to feed heavy nitrogen during flower, you'll only be hurting things.

Just don't over do it, and you should be fine.

Good Luck

photo_11_11.JPG
photo_48_2.JPG

Obviously a smaller organism would need less water and nutrients...

but 4 cups of water , IMO, doesn't seem like nearly enough water to saturate a 4.5 gallon pot.

Back
Top Bottom