Weekly Flushing

SeaBow

Firstly, let me start by saying I've found very little on this subject searching the forums. What I did find wasn't in depth to the extent that it would be clear for those of us who may believe this to be a good practice. So, I want to create a discussion to include those who may be doing this and those who have experience.

I watched several GreenHouseSeeds.nl videos of Arjan and Franko growing some of the most beautiful plants of the strains I've grown or have wanted to grow. In each vdo Franko comments quickly he flushes weekly to remove all salts and monitors the outcome of the EC results.

Is flushing weekly necessary? As they state they flush with an EC of 1.3 so what is in solution?
My biggest dilemma is if you're flushing weekly and feeding weekly how is the medium drying out? Are you flushing and feeding directly afterward?

Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

Many growers will have their own schedule and thoughts on this subject.

Some will feed, feed, flush while others will feed, flush, feed and some variations of this in between.

Some will not flush at all until the last 7-14 days of the plants life cycle.

Typically the soil will be fed 2-3 times per week, so it has time to dry out (older plants in larger pots)

I think where I'm not getting the frequency of watering/ feeding is the drying out issue.
I'm going with 50% Lambert's Organic 25% castings and 25% Perlite 4 gallon pots 400 watt HID air cooled and a 10" fan and if I throughly water it's not drying out in 3 days, let me tell you.

Tomorrow starts week 3 of veg.

Nirvana - Kaya Gold
IMAG001119.jpg

Nirvana - White Widow
IMAG000918.jpg

Hi Seabow ... your plants are beautiful, especially the Kaya Gold ... I grow w/ Lamberts also ... it holds water a little too well ... current grow is 50/50 w/ perlite and it's drying out a lot better ... adding castings I'd probably use 35% Lamberts; 15% castings; 50% perlite ... love to see pics of that Kaya as it grows ...

... your plants are beautiful, especially the Kaya Gold... love to see pics of that Kaya as it grows ...

I am sooo surprised we aren't seeing more on the Kaya Gold strain from Nirvana. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a spokesman, I'm just a medical provider BUT...

I grew out several strains from Nirvana to find one a patient liked but because of my location in the tropics I discussed with the staff what they suggested and it was Kaya. Heat and pest tolerant and good for novice growers like myself. I started one seed and it spang out at me like a scary movie. I didn't even hardly water it much less feed it. Effects are very close to White Widow and the smell is like juicey fruit gum.

This is my second seed and it's the same thing, a raging bull. You can't slow it down. I took 2 clones 3 days ago into a DIY EZcloner and I swear I think there's new leaf shoots coming up. :yikes:

I search everywhere and see very little on this strain but it need to be really highlighted because it's a winner.

On my last grow of OG Kush in 12/12, I ran a feed, feed, feed, water schedule. And near the end I got a lot of yellowing on the leaves. This grow I'm running a feed, feed, water schedule and they're loving it! Allows me to fert them a bit more aggressively on feed days. Then on water (flush) days I use 1 tablespoon of Molasses and 5 ml GH Koolbloom per gallon to maintain sugar and carb intake.
Since you're talking about drying out, I'm feeding about once every 3 days. I have a pretty heavy duty exhaust running 24/7 an intake, 2 small fans on floor level angled up, an oscolating fan between plant and light. But I'm running CO2 and find that the plants drink a LOT faster when on it. More water, more nutes, more growth!! I did some research on OG Kush and found they seem to like to dry out before their next watering so I've been doing this from the start. My temps are running 75-85F

How tall does it get ?

I've only grown out one plant and it was a closet "sprout and forget" grow. I really didn't pay attention to her and only fed 4 times total. The lady never complained or looked like she needed anything, ever. There never was color changes or wilt in the leaves. I started watching the trichs at about week 7 and pulled her at week 8 1/2 at about 3 feet tall.
I see Nirvana's ads say she can get huge grown outdoors. I HIGHLY recommend this strain for anyone at least once. :thumb:

@Vick074
About the watering every 3 days....
I watered these Monday 10-22 and the top soil is still damp and the pots are heavy. I may have to wait till they get bigger and see if they consume more water.
With your feed-feed-water method (1 week I assume) do you break up your needed ppm into 2 parts?
Example: Week 4 - 800ppm = 400ppm - 400ppm - water

@Vick074
About the watering every 3 days....
I watered these Monday 10-22 and the top soil is still damp and the pots are heavy. I may have to wait till they get bigger and see if they consume more water.
With your feed-feed-water method (1 week I assume) do you break up your needed ppm into 2 parts?
Example: Week 4 - 800ppm = 400ppm - 400ppm - water

When I water my babies, they stay wet for almost a week. Wait until topsoil is obviously dry and the pots feel light, or you'll be over watering. No need to worry, they will definitely be consuming more as they get bigger.
I found when I threw in a DIY CO2 dispenser, they got a lot more thirsty. Maybe try that? I mean it only costs about 5 bucks to make one and if it helps a little bit then why not?
For my feed feed water schedule (around 1 week) I do NOT break up ppm into 2 parts. So lets say, Week 5- 900 ppm= (Monday,900 ppm)- (Thursday,900 ppm)- (Sunday,water.) then start week 6 nutes on Wednesday. It helps to keep a log too, so you can keep track of your current and future feeds. (dates, measurements, notes,)

hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Or need a recipe for a DIY CO2 dispenser.
In my first journal I explain how I made it if you wanna check it out..

I've only grown out one plant and it was a closet "sprout and forget" grow. I really didn't pay attention to her and only fed 4 times total. The lady never complained or looked like she needed anything, ever. There never was color changes or wilt in the leaves. I started watching the trichs at about week 7 and pulled her at week 8 1/2 at about 3 feet tall.
I see Nirvana's ads say she can get huge grown outdoors. I HIGHLY recommend this strain for anyone at least once. :thumb:

I'm planning on vegging some plants indoors for a couple months then move them outdoors in Feb. for a guerrila grow ... I'll watch your grow and see how you do ... how long start to finish would you say they took ? I'm starting several Northern Lights next month to move outside in January if it's a mild winter ... :peace:

... how long start to finish would you say they took ?

They finished in 8 1/2 weeks. I didn't feed them so they could move a little faster. I'm not doing a journal but can report occasionally. I compared a 6 day photo difference of the Kaya and what a difference with my jump from 500 to 700 ppm. I removed several lower branches for air circulation because it gets very think with new growth and can make humidity prone area underneath.

Good luck with your grow. Love to see some of it, as well.:thumb:

edit: I did feed but Very little.

8.5 weeks from start to finish is quick for a non auto ... how long did you veg before flowering ?

My most recent grow ... 4 Auto Blue Mystics from Nirvana ... 17 days above ground

@ChesterC

Like I said the Kaya was a set it and forget it grow so I didn't keep many notes. I'd say I vegged as usual a month from seed pop. But it didn't matter. She was growing strong right from the start. I have clones from the current grow in veg and they've rooted in 5 days in my DIY EZ Cloner. The leaves never wilted in the least. It's relaxing to have a strain that has no issues at all making it a joy to watch grow and have the medical benefits much like the White Widow. It's my favorite strain right now.

@ChesterC

Like I said the Kaya was a set it and forget it grow so I didn't keep many notes. I'd say I vegged as usual a month from seed pop. But it didn't matter. She was growing strong right from the start. I have clones from the current grow in veg and they've rooted in 5 days in my DIY EZ Cloner. The leaves never wilted in the least. It's relaxing to have a strain that has no issues at all making it a joy to watch grow and have the medical benefits much like the White Widow. It's my favorite strain right now.

Thanks for the info ... Sounds like it truly does grow like a weed ... :thumb:

... Sounds like it truly does grow like a weed ...

These girls were cut only 6 days ago and roots are already starting. The front/ right two are Kaya. Note the new growth! I don't think they even know they aren't on the mother plant anymore!

IMAG002327.jpg

edit: I've gotten WAY off topic... sorry.

Back
Top Bottom