West Fest - 40th Anniversary of Woodstock - San Francisco, Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
woodstock_logo_50_.jpg
Woodstock was not just an event, a happening, or a concert with 400,000 people. It was a pivotal moment of realization for an entire generation, an epiphany, a moment of realization for the entire country. The hip movement started in San Francisco a couple of years earlier in the Haight Ashbury and the “Summer of Love” had spread across the nation. There were now millions of hip people with 400,000 of them converging on Woodstock.

Woodstock was a statement to the world, “humanity had evolved”, coming together through peace, love and spirituality. An event whose original intent was to make money became the largest FREE event in history. The hip movement had come of age and was recognized by the world. The principles of love swept the country and we had become the ‘Woodstock Nation”.

Hundreds of San Francisco stars and musical luminaries will perform at this October 25, 2009 event to commemorate the original principles of peace, love and spirituality. The Woodstock 40th will begin with a blessing by the American Indigenous People and several Beat Generation poets. There will be many speakers from the Peace Movement, the Free Speech Movement and the Anti-War Movement along with many of the acts who originally performed at Woodstock (to be announced). There will also be an “Eco Friendly Green Village” highlighting the products, services, and information of the emerging green movement.

Event: “West Fest” Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock
Producer: 2b1 Multimedia Inc. and the Council of Light in association with
Artie Kornfeld, the original producer of “Woodstock 1969”
When: October 25, 2009, 9am to 6pm
Where: Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA USA
Non-Profit: 501-(c) 3
Admission: FREE
Contact: Boots Hughston, 415-861-1520 2b1 Records Home woodstock40sf or woodstock40sf@yahoo.com

Acts confirmed with more to come: Country Joe (Country Joe and the Fish), Denny Laine (of Paul McCartney, Wings, Moody Blues); Lester Chambers (the Chambers Brothers); The Original Lowrider Band (with Lee Oskar); Harvey Mandel and the Snake band; Barry “The Fish” Melton; Alameda All Stars (Gregg Allman’s Band); Michael McClure (Beat Poet) and Ray Manzarek (from the Doors); David Denny (from Steve Miller) with Perry Prince, Diana Mangano (from the Starship), Greg Douglas, Carlos Rios; PF Sloan; Jimmy McCarty (from Detroit Wheels); Peter Kaukonen (from Jefferson Airplane); Terry Haggerty (from the Sons of Champlin); John York (from the Byrds); Leigh Stevens (from Blue Cheer); Michael Narada Waldon; The Great Jeffersonian Tricycle (members of the Original Jefferson Airplane); El Chicano; Cathy Richardson (Starship); David and Linda La Flamme (It’s a Beautiful Day); Lydia Pense and Cold Blood; Lost Creek Gang and the Merry Pranksters with Ken Babbs, George Walker, and Mountain Girl; Jose Neto and Friends; The Mutaytor; Scoop Nisker - KFOG; David Harris – speaker; Ben Fong -Torres (Rolling Stone); David Hilliard - Black Panther Party; Benjeman Hernadez – Harts and Hands; Dennis Banks – AIM Wounded Knee; Dennis Peron and Richard Eastman (Marijuana Initiative); Terrance Hallinan (Former SF DA); Paul “Lobster” Wells (DJ);.

Poster Artists series: Staley Mouse, Arnold Skolnick (original Woodstock 69 poster artist), Chris Shaw, Mike Dolgushkin, Wendy Wright, David Singer, Wes Wilson, Mark Henson, Carlon Ferris, Dave Huckins, Lee Conklin, Bob Masse, Andrew Annenberg, Victor Moscosco, Michael Moss, Thomas Yeats, Chrissy Costello, Gilbert Johnson, Ron Donovin – Fire House Crew.

In honor of Jimi Hendrix, who headlined the festival in 1969, 3,000
guitar players will attempt to break the World's Record for the Largest
Guitar Ensemble playing "Purple Haze" -- all at the same time!
Players are encouraged to register at:
Register

HISTORY OF THE MOVEMENT

There are moments in time when a word or thought has such power that it changes history; a generation so involved in the moment it becomes unstoppable and a spiritual awakening so profound that its very conception shatters perceptions, halts the world and makes people from all nations take notice.

It began with a simple four-letter word: LOVE! In the 1960’s, this word became synonymous with a generation and a city call San Francisco. It was a concept, a belief deep in the hearts of all who were there (and those who wished they were). It began with Ken Keasey, the Merry Pranksters, and their bus “Further,” Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti and the Beat Generation.

They gathered in places like North Beach, Haight Ashbury, Palo Alto, Berkeley, Seattle, Portland, New York, and LA. These pockets of anti-social, anti-establishment individuals questioned authority and their surroundings while searching for the real meaning of life and the deeper truths.

These small communities of like-minded individuals and “families” of communal creativity focused on poetry, art, folk music, jazz and rock ‘n roll, demanding to be free of societal restrictions, restraints, and hang-ups.

Then one summer – it happened! We Were Everywhere. The pureness of thought exploded exponentially and now there were millions of us. This event, this historical moment, which included most of 1967, became known as the ‘SUMMER OF LOVE”.

During this period, the Peace Movement was born with the “Human Be-In’s” in San Francisco and then the “Love-In’s” in New York. Anti-war demonstrations occurred everywhere and college campuses erupted with thousand of people refusing the draft. This startled the government as presidents were impeached, wars were stopped, and an entire generation stood up and said “Hell No.”

Social change was occurring and continued on multiple levels. Out of this orderly chaos came “The Movements”: The Free Speech Movement, the Free Love Movement, the Farm Workers Movement, the Women’s Movement, the Gay Rights Movement, the Environmental Movement, the Ecology Movement, the Animal Rights Movement, the Sexual Revolution, the Spiritual Movement, the Student Movement, the Civil Rights and the Anti-War Movement.

The message was clear – that the world was uniting behind one principle and one thought – LOVE! And its affirmation of PEACE, COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING. The world was brought forth by musicians such as Peter, Paul and Mary, the Mamas and the Papas, Donovan, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane and then carried on by many of the English musicians like Eric Clapton, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones.

Because of this free-thinking environment a renaissance of gifted geniuses occurred with the likes of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison. New concepts and inventions touched every segment of society. The transistor, the calculator, the computer, and the internet all had their inception in the 1960’s. A whole new creative sector of the economy developed within and took hold to become Silicon Valley.

The international community was in awe of this explosion of creativity. Even athletes showed their solidarity by uniting with the winds of change. All of this started with a simple word, a simple thought – LOVE, and a generation of free thinking people willing to stand up and be counted and their willingness to be different.

Woodstock was not just an event, a happening or a concert with 400,000 people; it was a pivotal moment of realization for an entire generation. It marked an epiphany for the entire country. Woodstock was a statement to the world – “humanity had evolved” coming together through peace, love spirituality and rock ‘n roll.

An event originally intended for profit became the largest free event in history. The “Hip Movement” had come of age and was recognized by the world. The principles of love swept the country and we had become the ‘WOODSTOCK NATION”.

:peace:

Re: West Fest - 40th Anniversary of Woodstock - San Francisco, Sunday, October 25, 20

Hi I was just wondering if thie event is going to be like the orginal-peace&love with lots and lots of super mellow people. or like the other one-violence&anger with lots and lots of pissed off people?

Re: West Fest - 40th Anniversary of Woodstock - San Francisco, Sunday, October 25, 20

Hi I was just wondering if thie event is going to be like the orginal-peace&love with lots and lots of super mellow people. or like the other one-violence&anger with lots and lots of pissed off people?

its san francisco. i'm gonna guess peaceful and happy. the artists appearing and organizers will be more in keeping with the spirit of woodstock than that previous event.

Thank you User, That's exactly what i'm hopeing for.Good vibes!This event is now on my short list for my vacation destinations this autumn...Any other good ideas???? :cheer::cheer::cheer:

West Fest seeking original Woodstock '69 veterans in bay area.

Boots Hughston, the promoter of West Fest - the Woodstock 40th anniversary celebration in San Francisco is conducting a press party this Wednesday at 7pm at 3075 17th Street, in San Francisco. He is looking for people in the bay area who were at the original Woodstock in 1969 and don't mind being on camera. The TV news departments will be there along with many writers. Boots is working on getting as many people as possible who were actually at Woodstock '69. This should be a rock'n party. If you have any questions, Boots can be reached at 415 861-1520 or cell 415 871-9852.

Source

AWWWW what a bummer! I was at the orignal woodstock- but I don't live in the s/f area(or state even).O-well , I'm still probally going to come out there for the west fest anyway.... I wonder? will I see anyone I remember ....I was the VERRRY young blond girl with wavey-long hair ,I also had a blue dasie painted on my cheek.:peace::peace::peace:

i've been to s.f. quite a few times. i lived in mariposa for a decade. i know s.f. has the same problems as any other city. i hope i never need to live in a city again but if i was forced to pick one s.f. would be one i'd highly consider.

if you read the first post its easy to understand the vibe they are going for. i don't think its about money and is more in keeping with the spirit of woodstock. also the artists performing are of a more woodstockian head than some of the artists at the previous wannabe event. i wonder who the to be announced artists are? i sure wish i could go to this. back in the day i'd be on the road with my thumb in the air :cool:

coincidentally, my wife and i watch the directors cut of woodstock last night. there was lots of footage i'd never seen before. i recommend it.

I was too young for the original too but I'd like to go to this one. I live about 3 hours north of San Francisco and if I can talk the wife into going will be there. My luck I'll already be in San fran at the VA hospital getting lap band surgery when this happens. Not that it would stop me from going.:cheesygrinsmiley:

For the young at heart, maybe not for the young? This event is being advertised by AARP, the promoters and many of the crew are actually in their 60s and 70s, as is most of the talent, the meadow is not that big, standing room only all day. Lines to the food booths are huge if you can get to them, better bring a picnic, zilch parking and public trans is several blocks away, take a gps and map, too crowded for bikes. The meadow goes into a basin with steep sides closer you get to the stage, if you can get to the stage, and no side or emergency exits when packed, so stay near the top roads outside of the basin. . Safety first dude. :grinjoint:

thanks for the heads up, this is good information to help everyone prepare properly for a great day...;)

For Immediate Release: 10/29/09

40th Anniversary of Woodstock
Free Concert Golden Gate Park
"Web Broadcast"

Event: Web Broadcast of “West Fest” 40th Anniversary of Woodstock.

Attraction: 70,000 people, 42 bands, 3 stages and 26 poster artists. Solar domes, Alternative vehicles, Electric bikes, Native American Tipi Village, Sustainable Living Road Show, Conscious Art Gallery, Light Temple, Holistic Healing Section, Hooper Heaven, Rock’n Green Kids Zone and Eco Village vendors. Narada Michael Walden featuring Vernon Ice Black leading 3,000 guitar players and closing the show with the Hendrix Experience reenactment and Superstar Jam
Admission: $9.95
When: Now
Where: WestFest 2009
Producer: 2b1 Multimedia Inc. and the Council of Light in association with Artie Kornfeld, the original producer of “Woodstock 1969”
Non-Profit: 501-(c) 3
Contact: Boots Hughston, 415-861-1520 West Fest, 40th Anniversary of Woodstock or woodstock40sf@yahoo.com

Acts on the Web Stream:
Jefferson Starship; Leslie West (Mountain); Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads) with Ronnie Montrose; Lester Chambers (the Chambers Brothers); Country Joe McDonald; Denny Laine (of Paul McCartney, Wings, Moody Blues); The Original Lowrider Band (with Lee Oskar); Narada Michael Walden featuring Vernon Ice Black leading 3,000 guitar players and closing the show with the Hendrix Experience reenactment Superstar Jam; Greg Errico, Jerry Martini, Cynthia Robinson (From Sly and the Family Stone); David and Linda La Flamme (It’s a Beautiful Day); Michael McClure (Beat Poet) and Ray Manzarek (from the Doors), George Brooks, Kai Eckhardt, Jay Lane; Lydia Pense and Cold Blood; Terry Haggerty (from the Sons of Champlin); Annie Sampson and her band; Nick Gravenites Band; Harvey Mandel and the Snake band; Barry “The Fish” Melton (of Country Joe and the Fish); Jerry Miller and Jim Post; Lost Creek Gang and the Merry Pranksters with Ken Babbs, George Walker, and Mountain Girl; El Chicano; Alameda All Stars (Gregg Allman’s Band); Edwin Hawkins and The New Edwin Hawkins Singers “Oh Happy Day”; David Denny (from Steve Miller) with Prairie Prince (of The Tubes), Diana Mangano (formerly of The Jefferson Starship), Greg Douglas, Carlos Reyes; PF Sloan; Jimmy McCarty (from Detroit Wheels); Peter Kaukonen (from Jefferson Airplane); John York (from the Byrds); Leigh Stephens (from Blue Cheer); Kathi McDonald and Friends; Cathy Richardson band; Joli Valenti and Tony Saunders; Mitchell Holman (It’s a Beautiful Day), Miles Schon Band; Jose Neto and Friends; Rock Hendricks (Bobby Womack, The Jackson 5, The funkidelics); George Michalski; Jeff Jolly; Scoop Nisker - KFOG; David Harris – speaker; Matthew Rosenthal – Prevent Hate; Bettina Aptheker – Free Speech Movement; Ben Fong -Torres (Rolling Stone); David Hilliard - Black Panther Party; Benjamin Hernandez – Hearts and Hands elders; Blue Thunder – spiritual healer, Teton; Dennis Peron and Richard Eastman (Marijuana Initiative); David Rovic; Rabbi Joseph Langer ; Ed Rosenthal; Terence Hallinan (Former SF DA); Gene “DR Hip” Schoenfeld; Paul “Lobster” Wells (DJ), Aron “Pieman” Kay (from the Yippies); Alex Reymundo – comedian; Doug Green MC;

OVERVIEW:

Woodstock was not just an event, a happening, or a concert with 400,000 people. It was a pivotal moment of realization for an entire generation, an epiphany, a moment of realization for the entire country. The hip movement started in San Francisco a couple of years earlier in the Haight Ashbury and the “Summer of Love” had spread across the nation. There were now millions of hip people with 400,000 of them converging on Woodstock.

Woodstock was a statement to the world, “humanity had evolved”, coming together through peace, love and spirituality. An event whose original intent was to make money became the largest FREE event in history. The hip movement had come of age and was recognized by the world. The principles of love swept the country and we had become the ‘Woodstock Nation”.
Hundreds of San Francisco stars and musical luminaries will perform at this October 25, 2009 event to commemorate the original principles of peace, love and spirituality. The Woodstock 40th will begin with a blessing by the American Indigenous People and several Beat Generation poets. There will be many speakers from the Peace Movement, the Free Speech Movement and the Anti-War Movement along with many of the acts who originally performed at Woodstock (to be announced). There will also be an “Eco Friendly Green Village” highlighting the products, services, and information of the emerging green movement.

post some youtube shots here for us, all you need to do is enter the page url and our software makes a player for it automatically.

Back
Top Bottom