What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

I did some goggling and it seems that breeders of any type of plant that can be either male or female are able to produce seeds that have a higher percentage of female offspring, I would assume this is due to the proper hormones being introduced into the mother plant during its gestation period just like how people can use hormone treatments to ensure there children are a specific sex.

By your name welcome fellow oldtimer.. Grandpappy... try here for CFL's

CFL Light Tutorial

I'll try and send a messege directly to you with this link.

As far as herms / fem / males from bagseed I avg about 60-70% females. However, my current DWC that I have been adding small bagseed plants into I am at 2 males and 2 females atm. Never had a herm.

If forced to go to a discount store I will go to that fancy french place targe't. I refuse to EVER go into wallyworld. If I wanted everything in the store to be made in china I would move to china.

:peace:
WillyB

What is your reasoning for the boycott? I personally can't really afford to shop anywhere else, unless you have a strong argument that would make me feel otherwise...Not trying to be an asshole, I'm just curious:reading420magazine::reading420magazine::reading420magazine:

If you really try you can find a quality store in your area with some real moral values that you believe in, not just a pure for profit screw anybody we have to just to get it supermarket. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I am just falling in LOVE with this forum and all the info and people in it. Thank you. P.S. I LOVE THESE THINGS:theband: :rocker: :headbanger:

I'm not 100% sure what you meant, but there are people that smoke buds, smoke oil, smoke hash, smoke keif, eat canna food, drink tincture, smoke canna budder. There are so many different ways to get stoned and all of them are put into practice somewhere.

It's all about personal preferrence, and I believe that is the point, it boils down to our freedoms and who should determine OUR freedoms. Should I determine your freedoms, should you determine mine, should i determine your mothers personal freedoms or should we all determine our own as long as we are not hurting anyone else and minding our own business. Sorry for the rant.

just realized my big mistake on my first grow..

i tried to grow weed 30 years ago and failed bad,many times.but last year i got my "green card" and got lights, soil and 2 starts.what kind? i didn't even ask.i was so excited, i didn't even think to ask what kind of pot it was.so i grew plants and made cuttings by spring i had plants inside and out.but they almost all had a strong,almost uncomfortable high.....well i tried to make hash,hopeing for a real ralaxed couch lock stone.again too much buzz.didn't work at all...hmmmm so now i started to think whats going on here. then i did my homework and realized that most hash is made from indica,right? i looked up to see what kind of plant i have been growing.well it has long skinny leaves,not to condenced,more "open" of a plant,a sitiva strain? so a friend puts a old pot seed in my wifes flower pot in the front room as a kind of joke. she(the plant) came up fast and strong,i repotted it and put it along with my other plants.but this girl is different,way different.stout,wide dark green leaves and very condenced "indica"?i think/hope so.anyway, i was growing the wrong strain all this time just because i thought "well its all weed right?" so be sure you get the "feeling" you are after,by planting the strain that has the high you are after.i love dark "head kickin" hash.very relaxing,easy conversation.and that comes from an indica strain,not a sativa strain.is that right?. when i think of all the people that quit week smoking weed because it "was too much,too high,or something to that affect" was it the change from indica(more laid back weed ) to a strong sativa buzz. does this make sence? i think when i started smoking in the late 60's it was mostly indica pot around.then the "name brand" Colimbian ect. came around,with that super strong buzz(sativia?) and stoners dropped off like flys cause "it was too much".so what i'm thinking is ,i'm a laidback indica kind of guy,who dosn't really go for the intence, almost parinoid high of sative.......i hope this makes sence.thanks for letting me vent.my plan now is to convert over to all indica plants and make some good ass kickin hash to surprize friends when they come over.....Merry Christmas(if that applys) and happy trails,Red:roorrip:

Okay here are some very common newbie mistakes for growing in soil .

1. Over nutriating if using a nutrient that doesnt specifically have a feeding schedule for soil then never use more then 50% of what is on the bottle as the nutes will build up in the soil over time unlike in hydro where the plant gets the same strength nutes every feeding.

2. Improperly ph'd soil/nutrient solution and improperly ph'd foliar feed.So have some sort of way to determine your ph level. For growing in actuall soil you are going to want a ph of 6.5, if growing in a potting soil like promix bx, Sunshine mix, etc shoot for a ph of 6.2-6.3 during veg and raise it to 6.5-6.8 during flower (this will increase phosphorus availability and slightly lower nitrogen availability)

3. Use of soil with poor drainage I would suggest mixing any soil or potting soil to rate of 1 cubic foot perlite to every 2 cubic feet of soil or potting mix and also to amend with 2/3 cup dolomite lime per cubic foot.

4. Using to many additives in the nute solution before mastering the basics of growing the plant. Always remember to K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) so before going an buying things like florablend ,floralicious,hygrozyme,veg fortifier, advanced bloom boosters, etc etc its best to master a simple nutrient schedule that produces high potency ,decent yielding ,flavourfull plants and then add in one or 2 additives each grow .

For a first time grower I would suggest for a nutrient schedule any of the following , Gh maxigrow and maxibloom for the main nutrients and liquid koolbloom as a bloom booster as its is very easy to use. FloraNova grow and Bloom with liquid koolbloom, Sensi grow A +B and Sensi Bloom A+B with big bud. And have a supply of CalMag on hand . Once you are able to consistently grow big healthy potent plants without having problems with deficencies or lockouts then start adding to you feeding regiment but personally I feel the only things needed are the base nutes, a decent bloom booster calmag, silicate, then humic and fulvic acid additives, and a carbohydrate additive.

5. And one big mistake that really messes up most new growers is overvegging by letting your plants get to big for the growing space lots of potential buds never fully develop it takes some time but what you will want is to have your garden space filled to about 90% of its volume so that light is making it down into the canopy.

And the biggest newbie grower mistake in My opinion is growing in an active hydroponic system like ebb and flow ,NFT, etc before mastering growing in soil because lets face it hydro isnt for newbies unless you like making lakes in your basement and looking at dying plants.

Question: Probably already asked and answered but what ever, I just started my first Hydro grow ( but not my first grow) and been doing well so far, but I discovered this product that is a carbo- load (and many Customers in the store at the time recommended it) and I was wondering is this something you can add every day like a Foliar spray or just something else to add when you add your Nutrients?

All the bottle says is add with every watering well As stated above Hydro-grow

Any help would be appreicated

Question: Probably already asked and answered but what ever, I just started my first Hydro grow ( but not my first grow) and been doing well so far, but I discovered this product that is a carbo- load (and many Customers in the store at the time recommended it) and I was wondering is this something you can add every day like a Foliar spray or just something else to add when you add your Nutrients?

All the bottle says is add with every watering well As stated above Hydro-grow

Any help would be appreicated

Carboload and other carbohydrate additives are actually more meant to feed the microbes in the root zone as they use carbs for energy to break down nutrients into smaller particles for easier uptake by the plant by adding carboload to you nutrients all you are doing is providing an additive to the carbohydrates the plant will naturally release to feed these symbiotic microbes and obviously in hydro you dont have as much room for your beneficial microbe colony to live so adding carbs will just make life a little easier for your plants. But personally I feel y ou will see a much larger difference in the effect of carbohydrate products in a organic soil grow much more easily then you ever will in hydro.

thanks,i am in the prosess of doing a trade.i'm really stoked to get more on the laidback mode.i'm normally kind of wired naturally so i really want to find the "link from the past"anyway thanks for the input. Happy New Year...so glad to be in "The Vertical Club", Red

A common mistake made by all is believing equivalency wattage ratings advertised by manufactures of any lights...LOL
yeah here is an example of what an 200w actual cfl would like in a reflector made for it.

SL-Brightwing_S.gif

I am advising a friend who has never grown before, on his first grow right now.

Couple things are sticking out to me:

1) More is not necessarily better. He keeps thinking he needs more plants - in fact I think he has too many already.

2) OVERWATERING! He is constantly worried about watering them.

3) OVERFEEDING! Likewise, he is very obsessive on when to feed them. I keep saying it and he will get it eventually. Better to underfeed, than overfeed your first grow.

I am sure these are all mentioned but I thought I'd reiiterate the points since I am dealing with these main points with a newbie at the moment.

As a first time grower I can feel you on the too many plants part. I went over board myself and kinda wishing I only did a couple. All is well though and I tend to everyone the same as if it were my child!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom