What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

Great overview and easy read. This sums up about 30 hours of research I did when I started growing and I still learned from it. Right on.

seedling fell over.
Can I use a stake ( ie: pencil) to help it stand up? Or should I let it grow.
It's and indoor plant, already in a five gallon and under a CFL
Im a small grower for self use.

Def stake it with a pencil. Also provide a bit of air movement directly on the seedling. This will thicken and strengthen the stem.

Another thing that throws novice growers off is that they need to germ a lot of seeds. If you start from bagseed, you will want to start a bunch and monitor them all for characteristics you like. See if you can find genetics that grow fast or short or stand up to nutes good or can grom in hot and humid temps. Also, you are foolish if you bank on growing 1 plant and haveing it turn out female. Flower double the number of finished plants you want cause 1/2 of them will likely be male.

thanks Charlie....I have staked it and I am also in process of germinating other's from my collection... I just put another in dirt and two more are beginning to sprout.
I have Cervantes' book "marijuana horticulture indoors and out" and reading up on feeding and "pushing" for females.
Last year, I had two outside and did nothing...they went male.
It seems that if you fertilize with nitrogen ( ie blood meal) then you should be able to push towards female. No guarantee, but some empirical evidence.
I will let the board know when I know.
I read up on the fan, but thought one did it in the vegetative stage,but I am going to rig something.
Any suggestions on distance?
Should be interesting as all of my seeds are from various purchases and friends....who knows what I'll get.

:thanks:

hey ppl i am a noobie and i am going to jump straight into hydroponics (fuck it ill learn through trial and error). my main concern is i just order 40 seeds(4 diff. strains) in which 30 of those are feminized seeds i want to keep 1 mother from each strain. since im growing hydroponiclly these rest of the seeds that sprout on germination will be goin on to rockwool and then to da ponic system. BUT do i have to keep mothers plants in soil? or can i put in a 5 gallon bucket with nutes and airstone?

There should be no problem at all growing the mother in hydro.
I myself have not grown hydro yet but if I am not mistaken hydro plants tend to grow faster than dirt so you might want to keep that in mind and not let mom get to big for her britches.

Anybody have any opinions on using miracle grow on my plants?

EWW look around at the nurseries for organic . i get this stuff called fish and poop. fish emulsion blood meal and sea bird guano.. MMMM add a little seaweed concentrate (1-1-2 great for clones) from the whole foods home depot has a liquid organic product too.

Anybody have any opinions on using miracle grow on my plants?

I had a bad experience with MG. I burnt up 4 WW ladies using that stuff. I went to Fox Farm Ocean Forest. A TOP OF THE LINE soil. The time released nutes in MG don't allow you, the grower, to be in control. Which is an overall bad idea.

Stay green :rollit:

Back
Top Bottom