What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

hello,new one here.a friend gave me a old, really old grow light ,a Prometheus brand.there is no markings on the bulb other than 2 letters(i don't remember them) and a real small square.the bulb is 8"-9" inches long and i can't bring my middle finger to thumb around it.it is frosted white amd looks heavy duty inside.the threads are standard size. i have 2 "kids" growing now and doing ok.,just ok.this grow light is like a big shop light with a huge bell reflector and NO ballast. i rewired it when i got it.just hard wired. i turned the light off the other day and when i went to plug it back in the light didn't light up.oh no.but after it cooled off it started again and i haven't turned it off since.i am in the grow cycle.and can't spell. my main question is what does ballast do and are they always needed?could i be using a hps or a mh without ballest? anyway this sight is great. thanks,todd God Bless America :amen:

Why don't you consider sourcing a replacement ballast and bulb now rather than waiting for either of the components to fail. If either of the components fail during your grow your crop and months of effort could all go to waste.

FLUSHING AT THE END OF FLOWERING CYCLE information should be added to this list, a detailed step on when to start, with what and for how long after you have stopped feeding them. Just would be good info to add as the very last part of flowring watching out for "mistakes'..I get asked this alot.

hey gang,well after i realized that my old system i have is just that.....old, and i should update as Joe sugested.now some old things are better than new stuff,but not this time.... so with that i have been looking all around and found a system with "the whole shabang", 600 watt didital ballast,with a 4 sided horizontal reflector with one hps bulb and a mh bulb as well.the hps has 95,000 lemens and the mh has 72,000 lemens.does this sound like a good plan? also what kind of reflective hood is good? they advertise one that is rectangle with a 6" vent hole with a glass cover in front of the bulb.is a "open air" reflector better or is it the glass inclosed one? anyway glad i found this place.any advice would be great. i'm hoping that my kids will "grow like weeds"when i get the new light set up.thanks for any thoughts, todd God Bless America :amen:

hey gang,well after i realized that my old system i have is just that.....old, and i should update as Joe sugested.now some old things are better than new stuff,but not this time.... so with that i have been looking all around and found a system with "the whole shabang", 600 watt didital ballast,with a 4 sided horizontal reflector with one hps bulb and a mh bulb as well.the hps has 95,000 lemens and the mh has 72,000 lemens.does this sound like a good plan? also what kind of reflective hood is good? they advertise one that is rectangle with a 6" vent hole with a glass cover in front of the bulb.is a "open air" reflector better or is it the glass inclosed one? anyway glad i found this place.any advice would be great. i'm hoping that my kids will "grow like weeds"when i get the new light set up.thanks for any thoughts, todd God Bless America :amen:

Here's a suggestion for you, Try "googling" hydroponics store locator and find out if any hydroponics stores are in your vicinity. I did just that and was amazed to find out the hydroponics store I visited had all sorts of plant lighting on display that I have only previously read about. Maybe you will get a chance to see what you are looking to buy. The place I visited also had grow room setups and grow tents as well. I sure was a candyland for me!

well i did it! i got the "whole shabang!" from a place back east on line, as posted earlyer.i tried some local shops but i found better deals on line.so i am really glad i will have some better lighting.one plant is 24" tall and one 19" .both are in miniture(small) excpt for the top 4 inches of the plant....from my old light (my guess) i,m hoping the new ,stronger light will get them going from top to the bottom.this one might be a good one to bend over on its side once it gets going. any way, i am really exciteted to really get this show up and going.thanks joe for your thoughts and happy trails ,todd God Bless Americia :amen:

tea_005.jpg

tea_003.jpg

tea_001.jpg

well here they are.i am so hoping the new lights will transform these little runts to something better....a friend swore by using mirical g. i tried it twice using very little and still got them "too hot".so i flushed them and am waiting for the 72,000 lemens mh light....i will let you know how it goes.thanks,todd Please God, Bless America :amen: well i need to learn about adding pictures,any thoughts? i added 3 pictures to the gallery.how do i move them here? i'm sure this is a "common mistake"

Well here they are.i am so hoping the new lights will transform these little runts to something better....a friend swore by using mirical g. i tried it twice using very little and still got them "too hot".so i flushed them and am waiting for the 72,000 lemens mh light....i will let you know how it goes.thanks,todd Please God, Bless America :amen: well i need to learn about adding pictures,any thoughts? i added 3 pictures to the gallery.how do i move them here? i'm sure this is a "common mistake"

Go to the photo gallery and find your pics. Click on the one you want to post. Once it comes up, right click on the pic and select "properties". Once the properties box comes up look for the URL that is titled "location", highlight it, right click and "copy. Then go to the message you're posting and at the top of the message box click on the "insert image" icon. When that box pops up right click on the highlighted https:// and "paste your URL on it. It will be overwritten by your URL that already has the https:// part in it. Then click OK and it will paste it in the body of your message with the needed BB code. Then hit the preview post to see how it looks before submitting your post.

TaDa! Nothing to it. I took me a few tries to get it right so no worries.

Hope that helps.

:peace:

Yep, sure looks like they are big time light starved to me..... Check the tips of the leaves if they are yellow at the end that's nutrient burn from the miracle grow.... I've killed several plants using that stuff....

thanks for the info. i was just going by what a friend to told me to use.now that i think about it his were grown outside. i will not try MG anymore. anyway what would be a good "elixer" (fertilizer)to add to the water. i read that ash from the woodstove would be good.but how much? so at least i have the light part takin care of. thanks again joe for the info. God Bless America,todd:amen:

hey gang, well i got some "grow big" from F.F. and gave them 1, 1/2 teaspoons to a gal..i was going to spray them with it as well but couldn't find a sprayer around. will add to list... hmmm i have thought about tieing the tall one over. so just bend it over, some each day till it is horizontal? this might be a good way to make up for such a messed up start...anyway happy trails,todd God Bless America:amen:

Nice post!! but one thing i have found that is not listed.. is not.. following directions on the lable.. read carefully on what it is you are useing... is it organic or is it derived from chems.. helps to know what..is used to help with any problems that may arise..a little info goes a long way...

follow directions? now most guys want to "do it on there own" but as i learned with my plants "more is not better". and i even used less than was needed (but oh how i wanted to add some extra!)and still got burned......i am guessing that mirical grow is not natural? what is funny too me is i studyed the directions,i read everything and still....i wanted to "add some more" ,against all rules and yet i did concider it....is it being impatient? wanting to move things along or is it back to "more is better"?.anyway i am learning to follow the directions.....and am learning to be patient.something that comes hard at times. this whole "program" is good for me.my montra has been SLOW DOWN,MAN!! for years,and now in my 50's i am fianlly learning.sorry for ramblin.take care,todd and God Bless America:amen:

follow directions? now most guys want to "do it on there own" but as i learned with my plants "more is not better". and i even used less than was needed (but oh how i wanted to add some extra!)and still got burned......i am guessing that mirical grow is not natural? what is funny too me is i studyed the directions,i read everything and still....i wanted to "add some more" ,against all rules and yet i did concider it....is it being impatient? wanting to move things along or is it back to "more is better"?.anyway i am learning to follow the directions.....and am learning to be patient.something that comes hard at times. this whole "program" is good for me.my montra has been SLOW DOWN,MAN!! for years,and now in my 50's i am fianlly learning.sorry for ramblin.take care,todd and God Bless America:amen:

High mello redneck and :welcome: to 420Mag.

First thing to do is ditch the Miracle Grow. Get some decent nutes and follow not only the directions on the bottle but the advice you can find in this vast storehouse of cannabis info. I don't know what method you use but MG is not good for any and you'll find plenty mention of it in the forums. Small quantities of nutes can be purchased at first to see how well they work, but larger amounts are more economical.

I'm in my 50's too but this hobby keeps me feelin' a lot younger!

Good luck.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom