What are good LED - How much

This is my reason for starting the thread. maybe someone can spread some light on this. probably the best way to compare is not the manufacturers "1000watt" statement but the actual draw of the led lamp as a means to compare to HID lights.

obviously there is not an industry standard here and it seems like manufacters have gone and rated a led lamp that draws 300 watts as a "600 watt" light because thats the comparison to HID

then there are manufacturers who build leds that draw 300 watts and call it a 300.

I find this all a bit confusing as well. The actual draw is 179w I believe. I guess I'm just telling you that I read it "easily" replaces a 250w hid on the manufactures site.

COB for the win? Wish I hadn't drained the bank and could afford some...

BobG

If you'd like some good info on diy led and sources for them get a hold of fanleaf he has a journal goin now on his COB mega build.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well I though I had pasted the links to the journals but I guess it didn't work...

Anyway just search their names.
Those 2 threads have turned me on to building my own setup. Wish I had known about this before I bought 2 from on the line...
Also try to Google "cheap and cheerful citizen cob diy led" I think is it. There is information on matching up COB's with drivers and such.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yes, thanks for mentioning it.

I believe this is what I am eventually going to do.

I am very hesitant to buy cheap products from over seas on ebay to build something like this for grow that will be unattended at times so im looking into options.

does anyone have links to quality cobs for a decent price? how about heat sinks and drivers that are quality and decent price.

does anyone have a list of fair prices for cobs based on watts/amps and drivers based on watts/amps?

also if i were to build one i would want to use less cobs rather than more. so strong cobs spaced less often and higher rated drivers less often also.

i would also like to do remote drivers also if anyone has experience

thanks

Mouser and digikey offer the best deals on COBs. Remote drivers are a pain for repositioning lights. Better to put the driver with the cob.
I use Bridgelux Vero 29's with the meanwell hlg-120 series.
1 driver drives 3 x 50w COBs with dimming and overdrive. 10000 lumens per COB.
Around $225 per build with COBs m, Driver and heatsinks. You can do it a little cheaper with Citizen COBs. Cree will cost you way more and aren't as high a PAR value as the Vero 29's.
Here's 250 watts of Vero 29's vs a 600 wattHPS. Can you guess who wins?
Vero 29 vs HPS 600W - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

But if money is an issue I'm working on a $70.00 100w(actual wattage) DIY LED closet killer.
It's a 13"x24" 14 bulb LED (100w Philips 1100 lumen per bulb) you can swap the bulbs for cheaper 60w equivalent LED or even the 150w equivalent if you want high power.
Here's a preview of the setup.
14000 lumens for under $80.
420-magazine-mobile585700593.jpg

It may be done tomorrow. I'll post the LUX meter results.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom