What are good LED - How much

cnile

so i was looking around and theres so much advertising its hard to get around bullshit.

does anyone know what is the equivalent LED to a 1000wat hps, a 600w hps?

are led's ever used for veg?

how much can i expect to spend on a 1000w hps equivalent LED?

i went looking on the net and i see price ranges from 300$ to 1600$ for the same LED wattage. what is a GOOD company and good price for a high quality led?

where are u guys buying them from Amazon? do they come with warranty?

also im looking for advice from someone who has personally used what they recommend please.

Our sponsors have some great led units at reasonable prices. You can pick up a mars hydro 1200w led unit for near 300 English pounds. This is good for replacing a 600w hps. Initial outlay my be more but the monthly cost is much less.
Do you now how much in UK money is the perfact sun 1000 goliath cheers bud

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello cnile,

I'm by no means an expert grower but I can share what my experience. I purchased 4 of the Mars Hydro II 400 series LED. I chose 4 instead of one so I could adjust the heights of the lights individually as the plants needed.

I used the lights from seed to harvest with no problems (caused by the lights anyways...lol) and highly recommend them. As the plants grew larger and filled in my tent I was forced into adding a 200w CFL as I couldn't afford more LEDs. The CFL wasn't nearly enough but I as lucky enough to have a friend donate an older magnetic ballast. Sadly that didn't happen until half way through flower so the plants under the CFL then HPS are a bit light and fluffy.

I have no experience with other light types (from start to finish) so can't say which is better over all. I can say that I was blown away by what I got for my first time and a friend that use to grow a lot using only MH/HPS was also quite impressed.

I will add some of the photos I've taken. Again, far from an expert...

(edit : Forgot to mention what I spent on my LEDs. Can't find the receipt but I'm sure it was just a bit over $1300 Canadian.)

BobG

2016-11-28_16_20_10.jpg
2016-12-01_06_07_44.jpg
2016-11-28_16_19_58.jpg
2016-12-19_11_22_44.jpg

Hello cnile,

I'm by no means an expert grower but I can share what my experience. I purchased 4 of the Mars Hydro II 400 series LED. I chose 4 instead of one so I could adjust the heights of the lights individually as the plants needed.

I used the lights from seed to harvest with no problems (caused by the lights anyways...lol) and highly recommend them. As the plants grew larger and filled in my tent I was forced into adding a 200w CFL as I couldn't afford more LEDs. The CFL wasn't nearly enough but I as lucky enough to have a friend donate an older magnetic ballast. Sadly that didn't happen until half way through flower so the plants under the CFL then HPS are a bit light and fluffy.

I have no experience with other light types (from start to finish) so can't say which is better over all. I can say that I was blown away by what I got for my first time and a friend that use to grow a lot using only MH/HPS was also quite impressed.

I will add some of the photos I've taken. Again, far from an expert...

(edit : Forgot to mention what I spent on my LEDs. Can't find the receipt but I'm sure it was just a bit over $1300 Canadian.)

BobG

2016-11-28_16_20_10.jpg
2016-12-01_06_07_44.jpg
2016-11-28_16_19_58.jpg
2016-12-19_11_22_44.jpg

hey thanks.

so you got 4 of the Mars Hydro II 400 for around 1300 canadian. what does each of those mars 400 replace for a HID. are they same as 200 watt hps or? what space would you have used them in if you could do it over?

What is your budget like?

Sent from my LG-H830 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

well i was planning on spending like 300 or so on a hps, probably a 600watt. i was thinking of eventually buying 2 so around $$600 budget maybe.

also i understand they will pay for themselves so if something is a good deal ill get it. theres no way i would spend $1600 on a led to replace a $300 1000watt HPS though.

looking to cover 4x8 or so, maybe a light mover.

thanks

Np,

The MarsII 400 are replacements for 250w hid lights. I originally had ordered them for a 5X5 tent but "had" to upgrade to a 4X8 tent and forgot to agjust my light footprint.

Honeslty I feel it was a good mistake because I get excellent light coverage. Also being able to adjust each light height as each plant needs is really nice.

If I could do it over and $$ was no object I'd go with COB's. That's the thing with technology though, it seems everytime I try and buy the latest and greatest a month later it's old news lol...

BobG

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey cnile, have you thought about looking into the diy led setup? There are some amazing COB fixture threads here.
I use 2 led fixtures in a small 2x4 tent, they're just amazon lights. At the time that's all we could afford.
We are noobs on our 3rd grow.
I wish I'd have known about diy COB led setups. For the same price we spent on 2 cheap $100 fixtures we could have built one for the same price and had way better coverage.

I thought that the "600w" rating on led fixtures ment it was equivalent to 600w hps/mh?
I really don't know though.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

This is my reason for starting the thread. maybe someone can spread some light on this. probably the best way to compare is not the manufacturers "1000watt" statement but the actual draw of the led lamp as a means to compare to HID lights.

obviously there is not an industry standard here and it seems like manufacters have gone and rated a led lamp that draws 300 watts as a "600 watt" light because thats the comparison to HID

then there are manufacturers who build leds that draw 300 watts and call it a 300.

A 400 should replace a 400 watt hps...

Sent from my LG-H830 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Np,

The MarsII 400 are replacements for 250w hid lights...

Hey cnile, have you thought about looking into the diy led setup? There are some amazing COB fixture threads here.
I use 2 led fixtures in a small 2x4 tent, they're just amazon lights. At the time that's all we could afford.
We are noobs on our 3rd grow.
I wish I'd have known about diy COB led setups. For the same price we spent on 2 cheap $100 fixtures we could have built one for the same price and had way better coverage.

I thought that the "600w" rating on led fixtures ment it was equivalent to 600w hps/mh?
I really don't know though.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yes, thanks for mentioning it.

I believe this is what I am eventually going to do.

I am very hesitant to buy cheap products from over seas on ebay to build something like this for grow that will be unattended at times so im looking into options.

does anyone have links to quality cobs for a decent price? how about heat sinks and drivers that are quality and decent price.

does anyone have a list of fair prices for cobs based on watts/amps and drivers based on watts/amps?

also if i were to build one i would want to use less cobs rather than more. so strong cobs spaced less often and higher rated drivers less often also.

i would also like to do remote drivers also if anyone has experience

thanks

Back
Top Bottom