What are people doing with male plants? I evicted mine for now

Foodeefish

I had a few free seeds and one of them popped and is a male so I immediately pulled it out of my indoor grow tent and straight to my 8x12 greenhouse so no pollination would take place.

I generally do not use the greenhouse ( only for Vegetable gardening) but this male plant is taking off with temperatures 90 degrees in the day and 65-70 at night.

My question is should I continue to keep this plant on the feeding schedule and let him grow bigger so my friend can make canna butter of can I somehow use this male plant for a different reason- somehow collect pollen to maybe pollinate another plant to make my own seeds?

When and how will I know a male plant is ready for harvest?

:thanks:

You can harvest pollen once the sacs start to swell up and crack open a little bit. Give them a little squeeze over some black construction paper, if you see yellow dust fall out they're ready.

After you have done that you can turn the rest of it into Rick Simpson Oil. Males are higher in THC in their leaves and stuff than females, but it's still only 1-2% so you won't get a very big buzz, but it's something. Aternatively, you can use the leaves in shakes and smoothies and stuff like that, with no intoxicating effect, but you still get the benefits of it helping your endocannabinoid system.

You can harvest pollen once the sacs start to swell up and crack open a little bit. Give them a little squeeze over some black construction paper, if you see yellow dust fall out they're ready.

After you have done that you can turn the rest of it into Rick Simpson Oil. Males are higher in THC in their leaves and stuff than females, but it's still only 1-2% so you won't get a very big buzz, but it's something. Aternatively, you can use the leaves in shakes and smoothies and stuff like that, with no intoxicating effect, but you still get the benefits of it helping your endocannabinoid system.

What he/she said or don't waste time away from your females.

After I collect pollen I run my males through my juicer. Add a couple apples and carrots and it tastes pretty good. You really need a masticating juicer to properly juice greens so if you don't have one I would blend the leaves into a smoothie.

I had a few free seeds and one of them popped and is a male so I immediately pulled it out of my indoor grow tent and straight to my 8x12 greenhouse so no pollination would take place.

I generally do not use the greenhouse ( only for Vegetable gardening) but this male plant is taking off with temperatures 90 degrees in the day and 65-70 at night.

My question is should I continue to keep this plant on the feeding schedule and let him grow bigger so my friend can make canna butter of can I somehow use this male plant for a different reason- somehow collect pollen to maybe pollinate another plant to make my own seeds?

When and how will I know a male plant is ready for harvest?

:thanks:
You need to keep any pollen collected viable by storing it in a very very dry cold environment.. I pop the dried out pods I to a tablespoon of flour..give it a shake..sift the flour through a screen to get the leaf material out..or it will wet your pollen..then put the pollenated flour into a ziplock bag roll it up tight..then close the seal..fold it..tape it with painter's tape..stick it I a jar with a lid pop it I to the freezer a d do not ope it until you need to dust the females with pollen..before you use it let the ziplock baggie of flour and pollen warm up at room temp before opening..any moisture in the bag will kill the pollen..once the bag is open you won't be able to put it back in freezer for storage..the polen degrades very quickly normal average humidity in houses is around 33 to 45 percent..and within a few days the pollen that doesn't get into the plant ..becomes inert..there are lots of good write ups on how to collect and store and brush pollen onto plants..do some reading to save yourself time and energy. If stored well pollen can last for 6 months to 2 years..but it degrades fast in the presence of moisture. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom