What can a 600W HPS do?

Normally that's kind of a difficult question to answer- but I will say yes, because a month if vegging isn't going to get you very large plants. You'll probably want to veg longer than that to fill your growing area. A 600 watt light can cover about 14 square feet reasonably well in my experience. I grow four plants per 600 and veg them a couple months or so.

Well two of my plants have been vegging since the end of December with cfls they are super big but they were definitely mature now for over a month and I just started flowering them 4 days ago

You can grow anything from one plant up to a a dozen or more in that space, with roughly the same yield. Cannabis plants come in many different sizes, so it's a bit of a confusing question.

20160219_165303.jpg
20160219_165233.jpg

I meant to say they aren't super big but they have a lot of beautiful healthy Leafs and I have not burn them with nutrients a couple times I've burned the leaves with the lights when using the CFL's thats about it... the two biggest plants in the back have been vegging since late December with 250 equivalent watts of cfl about 3/4 2700k and 1/4 6500k and I just got the HPS alittle bit over a week ago and theyve grown alot more foliage and size... the two small ones have been for a week to two weeks now ... does it look alright? I have the 600 Watt and all those plans jammed in a real small area with all the light contained to help efficiency

They look good to me. I see the burn you're talking about, if that's what it is. But they look healthy and not nute burned.
I would aim to cover 10-14 square feet of area with the 600 watt hps. I don't think you'll gain too much by squashing them in a small space to increase efficiency- though it's your call and you can certainly do that if you want. More light per square foot is generally always a good thing, but 50 watts per square foot is a perfectly good rule of thumb. You can probably remove the cfls unless you think they're doing something useful.

Lol I love the way you told me that like a champ lol I just added those 65k CFLs to cut back or at least try to cut back on the stretching for the first week or two of flowering... the area that those plants are jammed in is about 26 inches long and about 25 inches wide that's it you think I should turn my ballast down to 250 or 400 watts and I would still look pretty much the same? And I like to smoke about a gram a day do you think that if I do everything right from where my plants are now I could yield a couple ounces of smoke?

Because people are telling me that if you switch your plants to flower when there a foot tall you're only going to get a couple grams a plant but I've seen people do 12/12 from seed and get a couple ounces of plant

The reason I'm running my ballast at the full 600 watts is because people that you get one gram per watt so I figured instead of doing 400 watts I'll do 600 and that's 200 grams more if I get lucky and get close to gram a watt which I highly doubt I will but even a half a gram a watt thats still more with the 400w you know what I mean?

Honestly- if your growing space is full of buds, it doesn't really matter whether the buds are growing on one big plant or a dozen small ones. Yes there may be differences in yield between the two scenarios, but not huge.
A plant grown from seed can not flower till it reaches maturity. This takes at least 4 weeks generally. A plant grown 12/12 from seed will start flowering when it is mature. Let's say it takes five weeks for that to happen. With 12/12 from seed, it will be smaller than it would if it was vegged for five weeks under 18/6, then put into flower. Why? Because it grows less each day with only 12 hours of light.
However, it will still be reasonably large. You can't flower a tiny plant from seed. It has to grow a while.
If that's your available flowering space, and there's room for your plants in it, including the increase in size which is going to happen during the stretch period of early flowering, and you don't mind paying the electrical bill- sure you can leave it at 600 and you'll get nicer buds than you would at a lower wattage. I can't really quantify how much better.
You can cover more area than that with a 600 watt light, is what I'm saying.
I yield 3-4 ounces per plant. They are in scrog screens and each plant/screen takes up exactly 19"x24". Four screens per 600 watt light. I get about a pound per four plants/light if things go well, which it often doesn't. I'm not growing super efficiently or growing high yield strains. I care much more about quality than quantity. But I have been growing for quite a few years and it's taken me this time to be growing healthy plants. Growing healthy plants from start to finish is the number one challenge and is mainly what determines yield in my experience. Ie- not F$&king it up.

So if you extrapolate do you think you could shrink it down to one square foot and still get 0.5 to 1 gram per watt?
Nope.
Or put a 1000 watt light above your existing space and get 500- 1000 grams?
Nope.
You have to find the balance where you're covering an area well with the light you have. ( 50 watts per square foot works well for me.) Then after that, work on the dozens if not hundreds of other hurdles you have to jump to have a successful grow.

You are right, 400 Watts would be absolutely perfect,, and if I can get even a half a gram drive off a 400 I will last quite a long time until next harvest I have experience growing outdoors I've been gardening since I was a baby with my grandpa... I have an above average knowledge when it comes to taking care of plants but I just want to speak to people with experience specifically with cannabis, which I think they might already have I'm not too sure but I can see the little hairs not on top of the bud sites but where the branches joint off an inch or two below the top of the canopy

Even though I am a working man and I can pay the electric bill no problem I will just running at 400 because the plants are really not taking up more than 5sq ft..... honestly I'm not expecting even if I ran it at 600 to get even close to a pound or a half pound I would be happy with three or four ounces from all 5 plan honestly I just love cannabis plants and I think you're the most gorgeous beautiful plants in the world and they just make me happy even if I'm not smoking just growing little seedlings just looking at them makes me happy.. I grow weed not just to smoke it I love smoking but i love the accomplishment and wamt to knw whats in my buds... I've only had them in flowering now for 4 days I don't think it would be smart if I put them back and vegetation growth stage... I think if I just take care of them properly don't over water them don't underwater them and don't give them too little or too much nutrients I think I can pull a couple nice ounces off the 5 plants

I don't want to burn my plants with this stupid Tiger bloom shit.. so I think I might save the tiger bloom for a future grow when I veg plants to a bigger size where I might need more nutrients.... I have not gave them a feeding of flowering Nutrients yet I gave them a feeding of grow big and kangaroots about 4-5 days ago feeding for these guys all I'm going to use is big bloom and a little molasses so I don't screw up this grow in flowering stage by burning my plants or something stupid

I think big bloom and molasses would be the smartest way for a rookie Grower to go... it's too easy for a green thumb like me to overdose my plant in the flowering stage and end up damaging my yield by 50% if not higher by a simple mistake.. Do u agree? I just don't want to screw this up I've put a lot of time into this and a lot of patience veg in them that long under CFLs

I own a home and I have a extra bedroom thats 15x15 ft that i can use every sq inch of if i need to... so stretching plants isnt an issue... the only problem I would run into is not having enough light to cover the space I have to grow in lol I seriously am blessed with the room I have .....I am NOT limited horizontally or vertically in any direction besides the nearest wall lol

I have never used those nutes so can't give you a worthwhile answer though I suspect you'll need more than one flowering nutrient. I could be wrong though. I believe molasses is generally considered as food for soil life (beneficial micro-organisms)

Back
Top Bottom