What happens if you have 660nm red LED on during veg on there?

The123321

I have a 240w kingbrite 3500k led quantum board with a few rows of 660nm red led lights on the boards. I have autos in veg and flowering in the same tent under the light and I have had the red lights on for the whole grow. What happens if you have 660nm red led on during veg for it? Does it make it flower faster so you have smaller plants in the tent on there?

I've taken a few college agronomy courses and they share that plants use the wavelengths they want and ignore those they do not want (of course the "ignoring" has nothing to do with scorching by getting it to close).
After all, various species of plants, all use the same Sun but utilize different wavelengths at the same time. Some like the blue more than the red to say it a little differently.
They ignore the wavelengths they do not need and use the ones they do in different amounts than that different plant that is nearby or even touching it.
Maybe your plant used some of that Red or not but the excess of it did not hurt the plant at all.

My 660nm on my QBs are on all the time, no issue. I have Far Red/IR (730nm) for flowering and UVA (395nm) for trichome building.

After researching recently I’ve come to find out that the commonly used spectrum for infrared starts at 750nm (Up to 1x106nm or 1,000μm) but that infrared light dips down to 700nm and into the red portion of the visible light spectrum that is considered far-red (700-780nm). Now the good news is they are good to use the entire grow, good thing for me since I can’t shut mine off!

Now, as far as far-red and ir (700nm+) and concerned my understanding that too much of it during germination can cause stunted growth/failure and during seedling and veg stages, again too much, can cause stretching. This is because anything in the 700nm+ spectrum gives the plant the idea that it is being shaded or sitting in the shade. Pre-flowering and flowering is where it’s at for both of the far-red and IR spectrums.

Stretch can be controlled (or even almost stopped) by longer than the 18 hours most use in veg. Cannabis is a C3 which does not need darkness during vegetation because with C3's they do not "sleep". Stretch is a big result of the plant continuing to "seek" the light when it is off instead of the imaginary sleep some believe they are engaging in.
I can grow GG#4 without stretch by merely going to a 24 hour veg cycle. Instead of the traditional 7 footers they stay around 4.5 feet w/ a 24/0 vegging.
Besides those of us who run quantum boards are not adjusting our Red White and Blues and now the new boards are even including chips of deep red to their boards.
If it was such an issue then all these Quantum Board manufacturers must be making a mistake with their new boards with the 16 Osram SSL Deep Red chips they are now adding, that they are charging more for.
They have a lot more "red" than the adjustable mass-market Blurples with their loud cooling fans (or the phony Quantum-like boards with the lesser manufacturer chips that the big growing lite manufacturers are trying to dishonestly pass off as the same as Samsung boards) but there are no issues with them blazing away in Veg with their much better light, including those with the new chips of deep red included.
Those of us with QB's have no issues with our own running way more red running in veg than the adjustable Blurble guys (who can't even obtain that much dark red at full blast anyway) so I would not worry about a Blurple running with its red on during veg. other than the additional heat the light makes.

Back
Top Bottom