What's a lid?

The word lid referred to coffee can's plastic lid. Originally dealers kept their product "fresh" in coffee cans. They would take off the lid and pile product on top. All that could fit on top without falling off was "one lid". After that baggies (there was only one type of sandwich bag back then) became the measuring tool. The dealer would put product in the bag. You would hold the filled bag, open end up, pinching it between your thumb and index finger. If all your fingers hid behind the product it was a four finger lid. If only three finger hid it was a three finger lid. Later on dealers started using scales to weigh the product.
So far, this is the most correct answer...in fact you can't get any more correct.
Might I also add that there were no such things as "four finger lids" and so on.
A lid was a lid was a lid.
If it happened to equal out to four fingers (or an ounce, or whatever the f#%%# you wanted to call it) then call it what you will.
You didn't go out looking for "an ounce" , you were going out to score a lid.

Peace.

Right. that's what we would get in the seventies. I was too young sooner then that. it was a very long time ago.
Started in 69’-70 lid was four fingers 10-15$
One finger was nickel, two was dime for smaller quantities, I mean junior high school not too many had more than 5-10 bucks went to Germany in 74 all the smokers had a scale hash was 2$ a gram for small 100$ for a plate (100 grams) buy a plate sell half at 2$ a gram smoke the other half. Everyone was happy! If we only had some Redbud again.

wait, when they weighted the weed, they put it on the actual lid of the coffee can, or the little thing they took off that are on like the ones on soda cans? four fingers of pot? that makes no sense to me
Thanks for putting up what I was looking for. Urban dictionary is great. I was just trying to remember, from back in the day, what four fingers was. I thought it was a once. I was right. I always thought of the four fingers from a sandwich baggie. As for scales, people usually had food/postage scales, which didn’t go smaller than a once. You’d have to buy the balancing scales and find weights with grams and ect. In this digitable world, my food weighing scales weights anything. That’s not too big. It’s easy peasy now.

wait, when they weighted the weed, they put it on the actual lid of the coffee can, or the little thing they took off that are on like the ones on soda cans? four fingers of pot? that makes no sense to me
A lid was the top of a Prince Albert tobacco can. The can could be used to store your weed and carry it with you. The top gave you about an Oz.

Haha I think everyone is more confused than I was. OBM, sounds like you knew something, wanna help us out?
I was at Woodstock, and got thrown in jail for getting on stage with stones, San Diego 69. I have always been told that it was the lid from a 1pound tobacco can. I was not a huge pothead as I preferred hash and acid. It always made sense to me though, as a 1 pound tobacco can, had a big screw on lid, they were in common use and were easy to pack around.

I think they'd just fill the lid with bud and throw it in a bag.

But about what does that weigh? 1/4? 1/8?
Back in the day the guy/gal you were buying from sold bags by sight. a 1/4oz was a nickel bag 1finger a dine bag was a 1/2 oz and a lid was a oz. a nickel bag cost 5 bucks a dime 10 bucks and a lid was 20 bucks. There was no actual bud and a lot of seeds an twigs.

Back
Top Bottom