What's a lid?

Hey man, its all good, whatever "they" did is just groovy. All I can tell you, is me and many many people that I was smoking with back in the day did it this way. Don't need to google it or hear it second handed. "I was there man!"

Be groovy.
Yeah as long as the two people doing it the thing are on the same page it’s all good!

And Lazy eyedeyed

I think its an outdated term, none of my friends or dealers have ever used it, but I remember hearing it quite a bit in Cheech and Chong sketchs. Just curious.
As far as I know a lid was a handful placed on said 'lid' and there you go...A 'lid' was dependant on your connection...

As for the 'four fingers' that used to be for an ounce....in the late 80's you would judge a street deal by fingers since nobody was busting out scales on the corner. Back then the bud was usually very dry so an ounce then looked quite different thwn now.

A lid is the amount that fit in the lid of a King Albert tobacco can lid, cause that's where dealers usually stored their stash, since it was airtight, so it wouldn't dry out or get moldy. A lid = 1 oz.

Been there, did that.

A lid is the amount that fit in the lid of a King Albert tobacco can lid, cause where dealers usually stored their stash, cause itwas airtight, so it wouldn't dry out or get moldy. A lid = 1 oz.

Been there, did that

Back when there were no ziploc baggies, and all sandwich bags had portion that folded over the top, a lid was a baggie of weed so full that you could not roll the baggie up, only fold over the lid.

I think they'd just fill the lid with bud and throw it in a bag.

But about what does that weigh? 1/4? 1/8?
Lol! We didn't get bud back then. We literally had to sort out the seeds and sticks from the leaves. Not like the big beautiful buds everyone is used to now.

94e77e46c0863f7349bdaf47bc61bafc66da94fc.jpeg.jpg

In Eloy, AZ in the early 70's a Lid was a bag of weed measured in fingers. 4 fingers was a "ounce" which is what we got all the time. When I went to Bakersfield, Ca they would sell Lids starting at 1 finger for what we got for 4 in AZ. Lids were $10 for the most part and was Tex Mex, compressed with stems and seeds. Didn't see buds till 75 when I moved to LA.

wait, when they weighted the weed, they put it on the actual lid of the coffee can, or the little thing they took off that are on like the ones on soda cans? four fingers of pot? that makes no sense to me
Well I'm an old hippie that used to sell pot and a 4 finger lid is about 20-25 grams depending on the fluffiness of the flower. Put it in a baggie shape it up then hold your 4 fingers level but perpendicular to the table and see if the lid measures up to 4 fingers. We sold lids for $15, others sold ounces for $20 but we sold more volume because our price was lower and our lids were nice and fluffy. No seeds, no timber, no mexican dirt weed. Good stuff.

I think its an outdated term, none of my friends or dealers have ever used it, but I remember hearing it quite a bit in Cheech and Chong sketchs. Just curious.
Oz or ounce man lol

A LID IS AN OZ WE USED TO CALL IT THAT BACK IN THE DAYS LATE 70S EARLY 80S WHEN THEY USED TO HAVE " TIE STICK"ACAPULCO GOLD"SENCOMIUN" AND HASH I REMEMBER THOSE DAYZ

wait, when they weighted the weed, they put it on the actual lid of the coffee can, or the little thing they took off that are on like the ones on soda cans? four fingers of pot? that makes no sense to me
4 fingers high put up to a baggie, using fingers to measure. 1 finger was a dime bag.

Contrary to popular belief a Lid is not an ounce of weed. The coffee cans had a key like a sardine can and the Lid would be wound off the can. The Lid used to measure usually contained about 4 fingers of pot. People at that time didn't have a triple scale to weight pot.
And four fingers was typically an ounce. So an oz ,or roughly 40 joints, would be called a lid.

The word lid referred to coffee can's plastic lid. Originally dealers kept their product "fresh" in coffee cans. They would take off the lid and pile product on top. All that could fit on top without falling off was "one lid". After that baggies (there was only one type of sandwich bag back then) became the measuring tool. The dealer would put product in the bag. You would hold the filled bag, open end up, pinching it between your thumb and index finger. If all your fingers hid behind the product it was a four finger lid. If only three finger hid it was a three finger lid. Later on dealers started using scales to weigh the product.

The word lid referred to coffee can's plastic lid. Originally dealers kept their product "fresh" in coffee cans. They would take off the lid and pile product on top. All that could fit on top without falling off was "one lid". After that baggies (there was only one type of sandwich bag back then) became the measuring tool. The dealer would put product in the bag. You would hold the filled bag, open end up, pinching it between your thumb and index finger. If all your fingers hid behind the product it was a four finger lid. If only three finger hid it was a three finger lid. Later on dealers started using scales to weigh the product.
I had never heard that before. Seems plausible.

Back
Top Bottom