When Police Investigations Cross The Line

420 Warrior

When a Pinellas County sheriff's detective dressed up as a Progress Energy worker as a "ruse" to get a homeowner he suspected of growing marijuana to open his door, the detective should have known it was wrong. And when Pinellas deputies tried to find home-based marijuana operations by putting a camera outside a hydroponics store and investigating customers, red flags should have gone up. Both incidents occurred because some in the sheriff's office don't seem to understand when a novel investigative technique crosses into a violation of the public trust.

It doesn't take a constitutional scholar to understand what is wrong with a detective dressing as a civilian utility worker to trick a homeowner into opening the door. If the deputy ends up seeing or smelling marijuana, there is a good chance that any resulting arrest would be irreparably tainted by the questionable way the evidence was obtained. As Sheriff Bob Gualtieri notes, the evidence probably wouldn't survive a constitutional challenge. "And shouldn't," he says.

Gualtieri says he only found out about the incident when Tampa Bay Times staff writer Curtis Krueger called him about the deposition of Detective Paul Giovannoni, who pretended to be the Progress Energy worker. Gualtieri says it was a one-time deception that occurred in May 2010, well before he was appointed as sheriff last year to fill an unexpired term. Apparently there weren't more occurrences because Progress Energy found out that a company shirt and hat had been misused and demanded the clothes back.

When law enforcement uses the tactic of impersonating a corporate worker, it jeopardizes that business' relationship with its customers. And you can imagine the reaction from law enforcement when someone puts on a uniform and pretends to be a police officer – that's illegal. In the Giovannoni case, the homeowner ushered the fake utility worker to his electricity meter to complain about service, with the deputy caught in his own ruse. But that homeowner was denied the right to decide whether to open his door to a sheriff's deputy or invite him onto the property. He didn't know he was dealing with one.

Reassuringly, Gualtieri has not put up a defensive shield. He acknowledges that the dress-up tactic was wrong, just as he ended the camera surveillance on the Simply Hydroponics shop in Largo once he became aware of it. He says these operations don't reflect his priorities: the abuse of prescription drugs, cocaine and other drugs where public safety is at greater risk.

Gualtieri has implemented a new policy that bars deputies from wearing a corporate uniform without the express written permission of the corporation. New personnel and policies also are in place. Giovannoni's supervisor has been reassigned to patrol, and the captain in charge has retired. The sheriff has referred nine people in the narcotics unit to internal affairs for a variety of personnel issues. And Gualtieri has ordered mandatory legal training for the narcotics unit and any other deputy who deals with issues that touch on constitutional rights.

Gualtieri seems to understand the proper balance between aggressive police work and resorting to illegal or unethical tactics, but his responsibility is to inculcate that understanding in everyone else. It isn't at all clear that everyone under his command knows the difference.

1_36_.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Tampa Bay Times
Copyright: 2012 Tampa Bay Times

oooo, This Dude defiantly just got under my skin! Bad...Baaad.....Po-Po!
Seems like there are too many bad cops & not enough real work for them to do...

I like and respect the police.

The officers of law and order, that I have met personally, don't appreciate lawyers though. Since the lawyers I have met love the law, it makes you wonder why the police don't love lawyers more.

It makes you wonder, or doesn't it?

As I'm sure the cops are different in different geographical locations, I truly find the ones here in Georgia, for the most part, to be totally arrogant and abrasive by nature.

I'm not sure if this mentality is being taught to them or, if it's just something they are picking up from one another, or what? But I'd say 99.99% of the ones I have met in my life socially, have been very stand offish and full of them selves...like everyone else there are just beneath their hierarchy and power! It really reminds me of everything I have ever seen about "War Torn Europe" in the 30's and 40's?

Just my personal observation of law enforcement and I have no truck for their cause!

many of the police here, are pretty decent people. They respect you, if you respect them. However, there have been times where i have been travelling and ran into many "rude" ones.

one comes to mind where a vehicle was parked in a zone, where it was legally only allowed to be parked until 6pm. this was outside of a pub. The police came to the location for a fight that broke out, and after talking to the pub owner, and a few witnesses, when out to the street, and basiclly yelled "whoevers vehicles are still here in 5 min, are having a tow-truck called on them"

a man about 25, happened to come up to me (i was walking by when this was happening, and decided to stay and see what happened) and handed me his keys and said "do you think you could move my vehicle to the 24 hour lot?, i have been drinking, and cant drive". the lot was about a block away.

i agreed, but noticed i wouldnt be able to pull the vehicle out without the officer first moving his car, as it was blocking it in.

i walked up to the police cruiser, and said "excuse me, can i ask you to pull your car up a little? this man *pointed to the owner* asked me to move his car, so it wont be towed"

the police officers looked at me, and one asked if i would "submit to a BAC analysis" not knowing exactly what a "Back analysis" was, i asked "a what, sorry?" in which he repeated "a BAC analysis". Again, i didnt understand what he meant, as i'v only heard it refered to as a breathalyser before, and one more time responded. "sorry, im unsure what you're refering to." (i have always been taught, to always talk nicely, and include soft wors such as "sorry" "please" "sir" when speaking to police, as its a sign of respect.. to this day i have never acutally "stepped out of line" when speaking to an officer)

the one officer in the passenger side then stepped out of his car and asked me to place my hands behind my back. and said to me "im sorry sir, but not only are you drunk in public, but you're making a scene and disrupting our investigation, you are under arrest" (probably a few more words in there, but cant recall exactly how he said it.

obviously i was kind of baffeled, and disagreed with what he was saying, as i had not touched a drop of alcohol in weeks, by that point. and continued to argue once i was in the back of the police car.

after realizing they were not listening to a word i was saying, i shut up, and just sat there.

next thing they did, was tell me, they were taking me down to the police station, and i simply said "im going to remain silent"

once we got to the station, i requested a lawyer, which, they asked me why? and again, i told them im going to remain silent.

after waiting about 20 minutes, there was no lawyer, and a "superior officer" came to question me on why i have requested one.

i told him the story, and immediatly he took me to a different room to do a "BAC analysis" which showed up 0.000 with a little green blinky light.

he assured me the two officers would be "spoken to" (yeah right..) and apologized for everything, and bought me a cab back to my destination so i could return the keys to the owner of the vehicle... which had now been towed.

its too bad i was a lot younger at the time, and didnt call for a lawyer myself, as im sure the "superior" officer simply laughed after i left.

its that, that made me glad that the police in my city, are a lot more easy going, and acutally listen to what you have to say.

In OK, you can expect a physical beating at any time they feel like dishing one out, and they like dishing em out, especially to minorities. Eight of the twelve vice cops and several regulars were recently busted by the feds for dealing, extortion (prostitutes and dealers mainly), assault, and the list goes on and on. It had become so bad the ACLU and the feds had to set up shop here. It doesn't help that the private prison system is ran by politicians kin either. Possession of MJ and paraphernalia are the highest convictions in the state and they passed a felony law last year for manufacturing hash, which gets you life in prison.

If your coming through OK, better watch your p's and q's for the boys in blue here make those guys look like Boy Scouts.

many of the police here, are pretty decent people. They respect you, if you respect them. However, there have been times where i have been travelling and ran into many "rude" ones.

one comes to mind where a vehicle was parked in a zone, where it was legally only allowed to be parked until 6pm. this was outside of a pub. The police came to the location for a fight that broke out, and after talking to the pub owner, and a few witnesses, when out to the street, and basiclly yelled "whoevers vehicles are still here in 5 min, are having a tow-truck called on them"

a man about 25, happened to come up to me (i was walking by when this was happening, and decided to stay and see what happened) and handed me his keys and said "do you think you could move my vehicle to the 24 hour lot?, i have been drinking, and cant drive". the lot was about a block away.

i agreed, but noticed i wouldnt be able to pull the vehicle out without the officer first moving his car, as it was blocking it in.

i walked up to the police cruiser, and said "excuse me, can i ask you to pull your car up a little? this man *pointed to the owner* asked me to move his car, so it wont be towed"

the police officers looked at me, and one asked if i would "submit to a BAC analysis" not knowing exactly what a "Back analysis" was, i asked "a what, sorry?" in which he repeated "a BAC analysis". Again, i didnt understand what he meant, as i'v only heard it refered to as a breathalyser before, and one more time responded. "sorry, im unsure what you're refering to." (i have always been taught, to always talk nicely, and include soft wors such as "sorry" "please" "sir" when speaking to police, as its a sign of respect.. to this day i have never acutally "stepped out of line" when speaking to an officer)

the one officer in the passenger side then stepped out of his car and asked me to place my hands behind my back. and said to me "im sorry sir, but not only are you drunk in public, but you're making a scene and disrupting our investigation, you are under arrest" (probably a few more words in there, but cant recall exactly how he said it.

obviously i was kind of baffeled, and disagreed with what he was saying, as i had not touched a drop of alcohol in weeks, by that point. and continued to argue once i was in the back of the police car.

after realizing they were not listening to a word i was saying, i shut up, and just sat there.

next thing they did, was tell me, they were taking me down to the police station, and i simply said "im going to remain silent"

once we got to the station, i requested a lawyer, which, they asked me why? and again, i told them im going to remain silent.

after waiting about 20 minutes, there was no lawyer, and a "superior officer" came to question me on why i have requested one.

i told him the story, and immediatly he took me to a different room to do a "BAC analysis" which showed up 0.000 with a little green blinky light.

he assured me the two officers would be "spoken to" (yeah right..) and apologized for everything, and bought me a cab back to my destination so i could return the keys to the owner of the vehicle... which had now been towed.

its too bad i was a lot younger at the time, and didnt call for a lawyer myself, as im sure the "superior" officer simply laughed after i left.

its that, that made me glad that the police in my city, are a lot more easy going, and acutally listen to what you have to say.
@nibec-I am sorry, but not surprised, for your-all-too-common experience. It, unfortunately sounds as if you were "existing while black/brown". A real offense here in the Jim Crow south.

The Tampa area in general used to be a very nice place but as this is known as the most politically corrupt place on earth, and being "Ground Zero" for the "War" on drugs, the result is that our local law enforcement cannot distinguish themselves from the FBI. ALL counties, now have SWAT teams..Why? -These "officers" are overwhelmingly: White, Young, Ex-Military, Psychotic megalomaincs who have a hard time restraining their rush of power over the rest of us. (just read the paper) Now, they have ARMORED TANKS and Personnell carriers thanks to the DOJ/DEA and the Feds, all in the name of the "Convention".(read as drug war)
This is in addition to the over $2 million budget for (ariel drones andwiretapping)
"Surveillance, replete with "Facial Recognition" software will be here long after the convention with it's evil denizens, are gone.

I would single-out FLorida, but our entire country has become a police state. "One Nation Under the DOJ/DEA"..Life?, Liberty?, The Pursuit of happiness?..Nice words, all. But hollow as long as we allow these "leaders" free reign, using the police as the National Morality Police"
I dare you to prove this wrong. The inherent hatred they exhibit, on a daily basis, is reflected by their arrest "stats". As for Bob Gualtieri, et. al, these thugs are simply the ones on whom this "light" shined. Police everywhere are interpreting the laws and the Constitution "on-the-spot" as using a brand of justice; and a method of enforcement- we imagine only in a bad dream. It is our reality in "The Sunshine State". ("We got your cell waitin"..a new tourism slogan)
The Police here, and elsewhere, seem to do NOTHING but arrest those who grow, use or posess Cannabis.REAL criminals walk free.
In Florida, a child molestor gets LESS jail time-and NO rehab time, as comnpared with someone who decides to stop being poisoned, and grow their own medicine. Is that fair?The Police ONLY arrest those that who THEY see as a threat.(Protesters, hippies, etc..)
As an American, I am embarrassed. And sad.
@budbro-I feel your pain..That's why I'm leaving the state.
"Opression is a tool of the weak and powerless,for if they had power their tool would be respect"

You all need to head west young men.

I am a minority with some financial means. In some of your hoods that would make me a drug dealer and a possible target for harassment. Here, I am just like my neighbor.

I have never been arrested. I have been pulled over at least once while buzz driving.

I like that Nibec is respectful to the enforcers even when those enforcers don't deserve it.

Here in my enclave, a sherriff's deputy was recently gunned down by a drug fiend who broke into a pain management clinic. While I think that prohibition creates criminals, I know for a fact that there are so many who are born so evil that prohibition is a non factor and violence and destruction is the real next high.

Satan does exist, and sometimes he puts on a uniform.

@nibec-I am sorry, but not surprised, for your-all-too-common experience. It, unfortunately sounds as if you were "existing while black/brown". A real offense here in the Jim Crow south.

while i hear thats a major problem as well, not the case this time.

this is just so crazy... i cannot believe it...what is going on in this country ?

What's going on in this country is..."It's us against them"!

The beauty of the modern day us opposed of the activist's of old, is the fact that we have a means of communicating our disgust better than we ever did before...(Via our computers) :)

Look, these people are getting more pressure on them, more now than ever before...And they are getting more and more frustrated by seeing their "easy money" slowly slipping away!

They are pulling out every tool in their arsenal to try and scare and beat us into submission...But you know what?...It ain't working! We are here! And we are fighting them with every single post we write and every vote we cast and every person we teach to do the same thing! They CAN'T stop that!

WE WILL WIN THIS FIGHT! We just have to stay true and steadfast in our commitment to ending prohibition, once and for all!

Back
Top Bottom