Which system for culinary herbs?

The reservoir -
7 gallon tote (Home Depot)
4 disc ultrasonic mist maker (house of hydro)
Three holes cut into lid. Two for the fog and one for the blower.

PXL_20201104_192621275.jpg

The fog box -

7 gallon tote
Pvc pipe and elbow
Grommet
5015 12v fan
3D printed adapter
Electrical tape

The box has three identical holes cut into the bottom and I use a blower to force the fog up into the root zone.

The grommet makes a fog tight bulkhead for the PVC and I used electrical tape around the PVC because the printed adapter was a little too big and it was easier to increase the pipe diameter than it would be to remix the printed design.
PXL_20201104_192809863.jpg

PXL_20201104_192828437.jpg

There is fog leakage between the two totes and I haven't gotten around to figuring out an easy fix.

This can work but a word of advice, ultrasonic disk genereate heat, your water will warm up and bacteria and disease are more prown to grow, normally you would want your rootzone to be cooler than your leave and steam area so using a chiller to circulate and cool the water is essential.
You could also do like i did and make a wooden box around your tote and put an AC to circulate the air in the box to a lower temperature.

That's good to know.

I actually just bought an AC to convert into a glycol chiller for beer brewing and possibly laser cutting, so it'd be easy to hook up the reservoir.

I'm going to table this setup for now. I want to get some things growing and established with the systems I know before I start mucking about with a new project.

This can work but a word of advice, ultrasonic disk genereate heat, your water will warm up

I thought you meant "a little bit." But then I browsed around on the website the OP mentioned, and saw that someone posted they ran theirs constantly and it heated their reservoir up "like bathwater." I stopped reading after that, lol. Was kind of interested, at least in an academic way, before, but... When thinking about switching from cheap/simple/easy/durable to not-cheap/not-simple/fail-possible, I have to stop and ask myself what the upside is. And, well... "Great hobby for those who are allergic to pussy" doesn't do anything for me :rofl: .

Back
Top Bottom