Will LED 4 ft long lights be alright for germinated seedlings in their two weeks?

Phillybonker

Tomorrow I'm going to start germinating some seeds and once the seeds sprout I was hoping I could leave the germinated seedlings in a room that happen to have LED 4 ft lights. The germinated seeds can be placed as close as 5 feet away from the light/s, but not directly under the lights, more off to the side of the lights.

I'd like to keep the seedlings indoors under the lights for the first two weeks of their life.

Will the LED 4ft lights be okay for the first two weeks?

Without knowing anything about them and, therefore, having to guess... The ones I've seen are meant as replacements for the 4' fluorescent "shop light" bulbs, and produce approximately the same amount of light (but more efficiently) - so my guess is, no, the seedlings would quickly grow leggy from trying to stretch to the light, and fall over. I'd start at 10" to 12" and plan to move them closer if/when they looked like they were stretching too much.

If the lights in question aren't the ones I'm thinking of, the advice might not be valid - but 5' is almost certainly too far away. IMHO (which isn't guaranteed to be correct, of course).

EDIT: Can you give us the LEDs' specifications?

Back
Top Bottom