Willie Nelson Arrested For Drug Possession

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Willie Nelson was detained and arrested for marijuana possession on Friday, on his way back to Austin, after spending Thanksgiving in California, officials said.

Nelson and his crew, who were aboard the country music star’s tour bus, were stopped Friday morning around 9 a.m., as they went through the border patrol checkpoint in Sierra Blanca.

Agents found 6 ounces of marijuana on the bus.

Nelson was taken to the Hudspeth County Jail where he was charged with marijuana possession.

He posted $2,500 bail and was on his way again.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: JackHerer.com
Author: WFAA
Copyright: 2010 JackHerer.com
Website: Willie Nelson arrested for drug possession | JackHerer.com

those bastards! Willie is such a gentle soul who won't hurt anyone! KARMA to these nazis!

Well I have traveled the south Extensively and I know all about those surprise boarder patrol check points. They are supposed to be looking for Illegal Aliens. That is their jurisdiction and charter. They are not supposed to be an arm of the federal police doing random shake downs. This makes me pretty angry. People cannot just drive in the south without being pulled over and searched for no legal reason. I hope this particular charge gets thrown out and attention is drawn to what is going on down there.

even though i don't use marijuana myself, this arbitrary removal of personal freedom has to be against the constitutional rights of the individual. this ought to be successfully challenged by a group of bright and forward looking lawyers. how dare someone else come into my room and my vehicle to arrest a person for ingesting some substance when they aren't hurting anyone else. i got arrested along with my very ill hubby, a tenant who had nothing to do with it, and the guy who stayed out in a little shack and grew too many plants allowed on hubby's and this guy's permit. i never touched nor did i see how many plants there were. this happened in july and i am still traumatized. i am 74 and never had truble with police or was arrested before in my life. this is just SICK!!! in the 7 hours in lockup i had panic attacks and i got very high bloodpressure. now i am dealing with my own almost uncontrollable anger.

The Border Patrol is supposed to have special rights to search for Illegal Aliens in southern states. The fact that they can search for them is not legal because that is a general search of all without probable cause. The 4th amendment specifically states no general search warrants. If you search every car or RV that passes a given spot it is a general and unwarranted search.

Now for them to search with the intent of looking for Illegal Aliens and find something else that is clearly in violation of the US Constitution. If Willie gave consent to search than it would be for the specific purpose of looking for Illegal Aliens.

Now in all practicality everyone in Texas either knows of or heard of Willie Nelson. They know he is not transporting Illegal Aliens. They also know that he is a smoker and has said on TV that he is always high and always holding. You cannot convince me that the US Border Patrol expected to see illegal aliens in Willie's RV. Further, they knew that they would find some quantity of Marijuana in Willie's possession. Looking for one thing (illegally) and finding something else. If this does not get thrown out of court by a motion in the early stages our constitution is not worth toilet paper.

C&PQuote-What we found is that fully TWO-THIRDS of the United States' population lives within this Constitution-free or Constitution-lite Zone. That's 197.4 million people who live within 100 miles of the US land and coastal borders.

Fact Sheet On U.S. "Constitution Free Zone"

The problem

* Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.

* The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a "routine search."

* But what is "the border"? According to the government, it is a 100-mile wide strip that wraps around the "external boundary" of the <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 />United States.

* As a result of this claimed authority, individuals who are far away from the border, American citizens traveling from one place in America to another, are being stopped and harassed in ways that our Constitution does not permit.

* Border Patrol has been setting up checkpoints inland – on highways in states such as California, Texas and Arizona, and at ferry terminals in Washington State. Typically, the agents ask drivers and passengers about their citizenship. Unfortunately, our courts so far have permitted these kinds of checkpoints — legally speaking, they are "administrative" stops that are permitted only for the specific purpose of protecting the nation's borders. They cannot become general drug-search or other law enforcement efforts.

* However, these stops by Border Patrol agents are not remaining confined to that border security purpose. On the roads of California and elsewhere in the nation — places far removed from the actual border — agents are stopping, interrogating, and searching Americans on an everyday basis with absolutely no suspicion of wrongdoing.

* The bottom line is that the extraordinary authorities that the government possesses at the border are spilling into regular American streets.

Much of U.S. population affected

* Many Americans and Washington policymakers believe that this is a problem confined to the San Diego-Tijuana border or the dusty sands of Arizona or Texas, but these powers stretch far inland across the United States.

* To calculate what proportion of the U.S. population is affected by these powers, the ACLU created a map and spreadsheet showing the population and population centers that lie within 100 miles of any "external boundary" of the United States.

* The population estimates were calculated by examining the most recent US census numbers for all counties within 100 miles of these borders. Using numbers from the Population Distribution Branch of the US Census Bureau, we were able to estimate both the total number and a state-by-state population breakdown. The custom map was created with help from a map expert at World Sites Atlas.

* What we found is that fully TWO-THIRDS of the United States' population lives within this Constitution-free or Constitution-lite Zone. That's 197.4 million people who live within 100 miles of the US land and coastal borders.

* Nine of the top 10 largest metropolitan areas as determined by the 2000 census, fall within the Constitution-free Zone. (The only exception is #9, Dallas-Fort Worth.) Some states are considered to lie completely within the zone: Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Part of a broader problem

* The spread of border-search powers inland is part of a broad expansion of border powers with the potential to affect the lives of ordinary Americans who have never left their own country.

* It coincides with the development of numerous border technologies, including watch list and database systems such as the Automated Targeting System (ATS) traveler risk assessment program, identity and tracking systems such as electronic (RFID) passports, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), and intrusive technological schemes such as the Secure Border Initiative Network (SBINet) or "virtual border fence" and unmanned aerial vehicles (aka "drone aircraft").

* This illegitimate expansion of the extraordinary powers of agents at the border is also part of a general trend we have seen over the past 8 years of an untrammeled, heedless expansion of police and national security powers without regard to the effect on innocent Americans.

* This trend is also typical of the Bush Administration's dragnet approach to law enforcement and national security. Instead of intelligent, competent, targeted efforts to stop terrorism, illegal immigration, and other crimes, what we have been seeing in area after area is an approach that turns us all into suspects. This approach seeks to sift through the entire U.S. population in the hopes of encountering the rare individual whom the authorities have a legitimate interest in.

If the current generation of Americans does not challenge this creeping (and sometimes galloping) expansion of federal powers over the individual through the rationale of "border protection," we are not doing our part to keep alive the rights and freedoms that we inherited, and will soon find that we have lost some or all of their right to go about their business, and travel around inside their own country, without interference from the authorities.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: aclu.org
Copyright:2010.aclu.org
Website:Fact Sheet on U.S. "Constitution Free Zone" | American Civil Liberties Union

Sierra Blanca Checkpoint In Hudspeth County, Texas Is Still Doing A Booming Business

The Hudspeth County courthouse in Sierra Blanca, Texas continues to do a booming business by virtue of its strategic location near the Federal checkpoint on Interstate 10 just a short distance away.
Sierra Blanca's checkpoint is known as a "functional equivalent of the border"; this is due to its strategic location along the Mexican border just 15 miles from the Rio Grande--which enables the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol to search cars for drugs and illegal aliens without warrants or probable cause. Federal Law treats these checkpoints just like the border: all who stop are subject to being searched.
Recently, Customs agents with drug dogs have been patrolling the long lines of vehicles stretching for as far as 1/2 mile on some occasions. The dogs bump the cars with their trained noses,"alerting" when drugs or marijuana are detected; the drivers are then exited from their vehicles and the dogs enter the cars and narrow the search. Often entire vehicles are seen unloaded upon the ground, parts of their interiors strewn about the pavement.
Folks caught with small amounts of marijuana or drugs such as methamphetamine, cocaine, ecstasy, and other illegal substances are detained and then turned over the the Hudspeth County Sheriff for prosecution under Texas law.
Larger amounts of drugs and very large amounts of marijuana (usually over 100 lbs.) are referred to the Federal authorities and end up in Federal Court either in Alpine or El Paso.
Since I first started representing people in Sierra Blanca, the little town has sprouted 2 new motels, a few new restaurants, and a new Federal prison unit for illegal aliens detained here or awaiting deportation. Local Bail-Bondsmen make bonds for the arrested unfortunates, and the local sheriff impounds vehicles which are kept in private lots until their owners are bailed out, and can then bail out their automobiles.

Business is so good there it takes two state Felony District Courts to handle those arrested and charged at Sierra Blanca. One judge is out of Alpine, the other from El Paso. Both are over a hundred miles away.
I enjoy the challenge presented by these cases in Sierra Blanca, and have found it to be personally rewarding to be able to help my clients avoid dire consequences due to their unfortunate arrests at this remote checkpoint. Most have never been arrested before, and many are college kids from good families who end up spending a few days in the Hudspeth County Jail for being in the Wrong place, Wrong time.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: texascriminallawyerblog.com
Author: Michael J. Brown
Copyright:Texas Criminal Lawyer Blog
Website:Sierra Blanca Checkpoint in Hudspeth County, Texas is Still Doing a Booming Business :: Texas Criminal Lawyer Blog

They have mobile check points that can be moved to any place along Interstate 10. One time my buddy and I were traveling in two vehicles from New Orleans to Seattle and we used I-10 to Los Angelas. We got stopped in Las Cruses New Mexico and thank god my buddy looked straight enough to get by with just the routine questions on nationality. I had told him that I expected a mobile unit somewhere along the line and he totally blew me off.

Haven't they learned? Don't they know by now that Willie"s gonna have his weed? Why don't they just leave him alome?!

The Border Patrol is supposed to have special rights to search for Illegal Aliens in southern states. The fact that they can search for them is not legal because that is a general search of all without probable cause. The 4th amendment specifically states no general search warrants. If you search every car or RV that passes a given spot it is a general and unwarranted search.

Now for them to search with the intent of looking for Illegal Aliens and find something else that is clearly in violation of the US Constitution. If Willie gave consent to search than it would be for the specific purpose of looking for Illegal Aliens.

Now in all practicality everyone in Texas either knows of or heard of Willie Nelson. They know he is not transporting Illegal Aliens. They also know that he is a smoker and has said on TV that he is always high and always holding. You cannot convince me that the US Border Patrol expected to see illegal aliens in Willie's RV. Further, they knew that they would find some quantity of Marijuana in Willie's possession. Looking for one thing (illegally) and finding something else. If this does not get thrown out of court by a motion in the early stages our constitution is not worth toilet paper.
isn't or wouldn't that be considered illegal search and seizer? Why is this (COST) tolerated in this recession? Yes, I believe it will be thrown out of court, and the "Agents" who conducted and authorized the search should be relived of duty due to seeking publicity and not using common sense."Stupid is as Stupid does."mamma always said.

isn't or wouldn't that be considered illegal search and seizer? Why is this (COST) tolerated in this recession? Yes, I believe it will be thrown out of court, and the "Agents" who conducted and authorized the search should be relived of duty due to seeking publicity and not using common sense."Stupid is as Stupid does."mamma always said.

Honestly, I don't know anymore what will happen after all that stuff that Medical Need posted from the ACLU. The last time I was checked in that area by Border Patrol was before 9/11. A lot our constitutional rights have eroded since then. When I was stopped by Border Patrol they were only looking for Illegal Aliens. There were no dogs or anything. Now it seems like once they get you pulled over they use it to look for anything wrong under the sun.

The sad fact is that most of us cannot afford the legal counsel that Willie can. We have to count on people like Willie to set new legal precedence with his ability to fund such an ordeal.

I seen Willie on a recent Larry King interview and developed a huge new respect for him. I am not a huge fan of his music but I am a huge fan of Willie as a person. I would suggest everyone go to Youtube and find that interview with Larry King. Willie is an awesome guy and I really wonder if he has it in him to go after the balls of those agents that arrested him the other day. Myself, I would not be happy until every federal agent involved had his balls frying, lost their job and policy was changed. Willie will probably forgive them and just move on.

No shit, Sherlock! Who would ever guess that a bus that belonged to Willie, would ever have contraband inside? It had to be a "RANDOM" stop and search.

When I first read about this & posted it on elsewhere online I was like...well duh! Like this is supposed to surprise us or what? lmao!

willie been a trooper in this even do ive never meet him he n a few other seem like u could just have a real conversation with glad hes out so he can keep figthin the good figth

ps i would love or be honored to be his rodie slash chef ha didnt he sing on the road

It does seem like it's when re-entering the country that musicians and other entertainers are most likely to be hassled about drugs. If, as the article says, he was returning to Texas from California, then he must have taken a detour into Mexico. On one hand, this seems to compel the prosecution to show that he did not already possess the contraband in California. On the other hand, I don't really get why he didn't avoid the hassle by staying north of the border.

If this goes to trial, the arguments in court may well take on an amusing, almost surrealistic aspect. The relative quality of California, Texas and Northern Mexican herb might well become an issue of fact in the trial. Try seating a jury with the requisite knowledge of that!

It does seem like it's when re-entering the country that musicians and other entertainers are most likely to be hassled about drugs. If, as the article says, he was returning to Texas from California, then he must have taken a detour into Mexico. On one hand, this seems to compel the prosecution to show that he did not already possess the contraband in California. On the other hand, I don't really get why he didn't avoid the hassle by staying north of the border.

If this goes to trial, the arguments in court may well take on an amusing, almost surrealistic aspect. The relative quality of California, Texas and Northern Mexican herb might well become an issue of fact in the trial. Try seating a jury with the requisite knowledge of that!

Several interstates around the country are known drug routes and illegal alien routes. Interstate 10 between Florida and Los Angelas and Interstate 5 from Mexico to Canada are just a couple. They set up Mobile Border Patrol check points that can be put any place on those interstates to check for Aliens. If they were fixed locations on the interstates everyone would just find a way around them. But since they are Mobile they can surprise people. BTW, the one that got Willie may have been fixed. I have seen other reports of that area and because of the station the little town has become a boon town. Attorneys, Bail Bonds, Tow Yards, Hotels, etc. The little town is growing from all of the bust there. Willie should have known about that.

Back
Top Bottom