Worms in my Rockwool

LeadFlunky

Today I found some tiny clearish white worms wiggling around when I watered my plants. I have no idea how they got there and I have been supper careful to keep my room clean. I have search for these worms on the internet but the closest thing I can find is a beneficial bug called a Predatory Nematode. Kinda think its not that though, cause those you usually have to buy and introduce to your garden, and I have not bought any. Although, I am using a product called Great White made by Plant Success, maybe it could come from that? I doubt it though. I don't have a pic of them but I did take an hd video of them, Dropbox - Worms in Rockwool.mp4. Any help with identifying would be super, and any advise on killing them if they are bad news would be awesome. Also my plants seem to be stunted, could these have anything to do with that? Thanks.

Kind of reminds me of an inchworm
image20844.jpg

Not saying that is what it is but the way the move are just like the ones that used to cover my mimosa trees in webs they they would fill up full of these worms that I think turn into moths
Didn't do a bunch of research just cut the trees down as they where by my porch and it was cobweb in the face every time you would leave or come back lasted about a month
But if that is what they are no good for your girls and I really like to know how they ended up in your rockwool
:tokin:
:allgood:

The don't have a black head like that, more like pointed, and they don't look segmented either. Also, they can stretch themselves out and be longer. I took the plastic off of the top of my rockwool to try and let in more oxygen and help with drainage, now the worms have gone into the rockwool and out of sight. If I see them again I will try to get a closer image of them. For now, my best bet might be to wait and see if they are some sort of larvae that may turn into something more easily identifiable. I don't know if this is the right strategy, really.

I just hope whatever it is, it is kind to my girls.

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in.

Yeah, I looked at the guides on this website, the plant pest prob solver and such, before I made my original post. Compared the larvae in the images, they just don't look the same. I did do a quick Google search for "fungus gnat larvae" as you suggested, and again those images also don't really resemble what I have captured in the video either. All the images I've seen of fungus gnat larvae have a black head and in the video you can see that those things don't have any black on them. Have a look at the images on this website Nematode Roundworms Own This Place | The Artful Amoeba, Scientific American Blog Network Could they possibly be Strelkovimermis spiculatis, what do you guys think?

Those look like young fungus gnat larvae. They eat the roots hence the stunted plants so you'll need to dose them with Gnatural asap. Those sticky yellow traps they sell at the hardware store are great for catching the adults in your grow room before they get to the medium.

I appreciate the responses I have received for this post. Although, I respectfully disagree with the diagnosis of "fungus gnat larvae". After doing more research on my own I have found that I was on the wrong track myself in suspecting nematodes. I am now thinking that they are most likely enchytraeids and, most likely not the cause of my slow growth. Thanks though. I will keep researching this and will post what I determine in the end. I am currently trying to bring them back to the surface to catch one and put it under a microscope. I will try to take pics for you guys, as well.

Don't get me wrong, though. I still welcome ALL comments and advice on this post.

I have seen this before they crawl up the stem of the plant and kill it.. have no FKN clue what they are but yes they are a MF one day plants look perfectly healthy then boom fall over and die like they have no water as the microscopic worm clogs the stem and has trouble with uptake.. I have tried many things to kill them off still have a plant die from time to time but I’m talking 3000 to 4000 plant at any give. Time.. have no flyers what so ever so I have ruled out any type of larvae or pupal.. but man it’s been driving me nuts for about 6 mo now

Can you post pictures of them? You didn’t notice them until after you watered?
How many were there like a couple or a shit ton that came up in the water? How do they move do they wiggle or do you notice any jumping?
Springtails usually come up in numbers after watering.
I’ve never had them but it was just suggested through conversation in my journal about them and the fact that you noticed them at watering is what sounds familiar about the situations.

@lootznbootz This is an old thread, but on the off chance you are answering @Iceman300 - Springtails do not climb up onto plants and kill them.
Yea I realized that after the post I was referring to the op but that was years ago 😅

Back
Top Bottom